Longhorn Basketball : 22-23

bordertown

On 2/15/2023 at 6:14 PM, bordertown said:

Travis County DA has dropped charges against Chris Beard. Apparently they did not have enough evidence to prosecute. Suspect when his girlfriend refused to testify against him, the evidence was second hand. Waiting on a civil lawsuit to be filed by Beard to shake down The University for some cash.

I thought it was a mistake to fire him.  However, not sure that I would have let him back this year either.  I would have paid him through this season then forced him out after.  It's less messy that way.  Beard could have claimed "fresh start" and Texas could have claimed "mutual agreement."

1 hour ago, Coach Rab said:

I thought it was a mistake to fire him.  However, not sure that I would have let him back this year either.  I would have paid him through this season then forced him out after.  It's less messy that way.  Beard could have claimed "fresh start" and Texas could have claimed "mutual agreement."

Correct me if I am wrong but didn’t Lsu do something similar like that? Seems like the appropriate response.

• 3 weeks later...

Look like A&M and texas maybe on a collision course assuming both get past their first round matchups.

MIDWEST REGION
#1 Houston 
#16 Northern Kentucky 

#8 Iowa
#9 Auburn

#5 Miami
#12 Drake

#4 Indiana
#13 Kent State

#6 Iowa State
#11 Mississippi State/#11 Pitt

#3 Xavier
#14 Kennesaw State

#7 Texas A&M
#10 Penn State

#2 Texas 
#15  Colgate

17 hours ago, Red90fly said:

The path for Texas gets interesting as it looks like chalk may play the rest of the way for them minus their final four matchup since Kansas is out.  Xavier next week then likely Houston.  I think the Texas/Houston winner is our National Champion.  Both are more athletic on the court than Alabama

23 hours ago, Coach Rab said:

The path for Texas gets interesting as it looks like chalk may play the rest of the way for them minus their final four matchup since Kansas is out.  Xavier next week then likely Houston.  I think the Texas/Houston winner is our National Champion.  Both are more athletic on the court than Alabama

Alabama looks like they have a lot of long players though.

Beating Xavier and Houston is going to be tough.

We’ll see though!

🤘🏻

On 3/18/2023 at 9:34 PM, Red90fly said:

Texas played two of the top 3 point shooting teams on the nation in Colgate and Penn State and shut them both down.

From what I have read, Xavier is in that tier as well when it comes to 3-pt shooting. If Texas can repeat what they did the last two games they should be successful.

I think Texas will get by Xavier in a very close one, but if they meet the Coogs that game will be like a National Championship.  Houston has played with injuries all season and still keeps winning. They had their top two players on the bench with 7 mins. left w/4 fouls each last game and still won.  Overall, I'd say the Coogs are the most athletic team left in the tournament and their bench is crazy good.   Gotta give Kelvin Sampson the nod the rest of the way also.  Miami is kinda athletic too, but the Coogs should match up and win.  Not sure how well the Horns will match up with Xavier.  That team could "go off" from beyond the arc......or hit a gamewinner in the last second from 3-pointland easy.

2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

I think Texas will get by Xavier in a very close one, but if they meet the Coogs that game will be like a National Championship.  Houston has played with injuries all season and still keeps winning. They had their top two players on the bench with 7 mins. left w/4 fouls each last game and still won.  Overall, I'd say the Coogs are the most athletic team left in the tournament and their bench is crazy good.   Gotta give Kelvin Sampson the nod the rest of the way also.  Miami is kinda athletic too, but the Coogs should match up and win.  Not sure how well the Horns will match up with Xavier.  That team could "go off" from beyond the arc......or hit a gamewinner in the last second from 3-pointland easy.

I may be among the few with this opinion, but I don’t believe Houston is as good as their record. 
They’ve played a very weak schedule, only 2 ranked opponents all season (going 1-1), and still aren’t a very high scoring team. They remind me a lot of Virginia; great defense, average offense. So long as the opposing team can move the ball efficiently and get some open shots, they’re in trouble. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see them lose to Miami. 

5 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

I may be among the few with this opinion, but I don’t believe Houston is as good as their record. 
They’ve played a very weak schedule, only 2 ranked opponents all season (going 1-1), and still aren’t a very high scoring team. They remind me a lot of Virginia; great defense, average offense. So long as the opposing team can move the ball efficiently and get some open shots, they’re in trouble. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see them lose to Miami. 

A one-game matchup to see who is on their game.  When Houston is on.....they are very very good.  Miami can look impressive as well, and runs the court very efficiently.  Should be a great game to watch.  But there's no way I ain't pulling for the Coogs.  Would like to see Texas vs Houston in the Elite Eight.

Edited by regaleagle

Miami didn’t make a FG in the final 4:40. They get credit for making free throws and being active with their hands on defense. I’ll give a huge assist to the refs for some suspect one sided calls. 

Texas really missed Disu today. He would’ve been huge down the stretch. They tried to use Allen the same way the used Disu vs Penn St but Allen turned it over twice and missed another shot. 

11 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Texas needs to hire Rodney Terry as the HC.

He has done exceptionally well. However, Texas could go after the

“ big “ name aka Calipari or biggest turnaround at one of the smaller schools.  I believe Joseph is right choice.