4 vs 1 Thursday night

Destry

This is not all of last nights scores but of the ones on Texas high school scoreboard I saw 24 games in which the winner scored over 60 points including good ole Beckville and their 77 points on Rivercrest. Wimberly laid 81 on some team. Yep, definitely need those types of games!!!!!!!!

District 15 swept 16 in 2A D1. (See graphic)

Also just saw Jarrell (4A D2), a 4 seed won over Devine. Head coach at Jarrell is former HC at San Augustine and Alto. (Congrats Coach Murr!)

One more: the District Champion Cayuga Wildcats (2A D1) fell to 4 seed Riesel.

Haven’t done much research but these are some I noticed while looking at scores. It happens. Competitive district with a 4 seed defeats district champ from weaker district. As they say, that’s why the game is played out on the field. There’s always (sometimes) a chance! Lol

AF2A64FA-0DD9-4F28-B171-34C77FF80FE3.jpeg

Edited by StingEmALTO
  • Like 1

Carthage only scored 42.  There's a lot of ways to not score 100 points on a team.

Carthage won state as a 3 seed in 2016.

There's gonna be beatdowns all through the playoffs.

It'll be alright.  These kids need to learn how to lose as much as they learn how to win.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Destry said:

This is not all of last nights scores but of the ones on Texas high school scoreboard I saw 24 games in which the winner scored over 60 points including good ole Beckville and their 77 points on Rivercrest. Wimberly laid 81 on some team. Yep, definitely need those types of games!!!!!!!!

Yes, we do need these games.  See the list of examples already given and there will be some more.  There are plenty of 4th place teams that are as deserving as 1st place teams from very weak districts.  And a few of these will go several rounds.  Don't know why some have to argue this every year.  Arguing for LESS FOOTBALL?????  I can't wrap my mind around that. 

Edited by Everide2016
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

Yes, we do need these games.  See the list of examples already given and there will be some more.  There are plenty of 4th place teams that are as deserving as 1st place teams from very weak districts.  And a few of these will go several rounds.  Don't know why some have to argue this every year.  Arguing for LESS FOOTBALL?????  I can't wrap my mind around that. 

Not really less football.  Lot of folks want their team to actually meaningfully play in the postseason. Many were Perfectly fine with three but end of day 4vs 1 separates a contender /pretender. 

Edited by Mojo1000

31 minutes ago, Mojo1000 said:

Not really less football.  Lot of folks want their team to actually meaningfully play in the postseason. Many were Perfectly fine with three but end of day 4vs 1 separates a contender /pretender. 

Right, and we found several "1" pretenders last night and a few more will be revealed.  They already know who they are.  The real positive is the legitimate "4" contenders get to play another week or two or three.

The hard part about this scenario is the disparity between districts. Look at districts that have maybe 1 good team and will go 1-3 in bi-district and then you have districts that may go 4-0 because it's just a more competitive district. How do you let those 4 in and the other 3 out? You can't. SO, in order to accommodate that district, this is how it has to work. I can promise you Big Spring is glad it's 4 teams and last night's Tompkins vs. Cedar Ridge game was awesome! A #2 vs. a #3 and it went to double overtime. I LOVE that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destry said:

If you don't like them, don't watch them .......the vast majority of us have no problem with MORE games to watch ........lol

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

If you don't like them, don't watch them .......the vast majority of us have no problem with MORE games to watch ........lol

Check on that ... any Friday with football is ten times better than a Friday without it.

it doesn't just happen in the first round ... I remember going to a Round Three game in 1989 - Cooper vs Groveton ... Groveton won 82-6 ... in this kind of situation, I think a lot of the score depends on who the winning coach is ... in several instances, I had talks with this one - his favorite saying was if you don't want the score run up, then teach your kids to play better.

• Like 2

Just now, DOB said:

Check on that ... any Friday with football is ten times better than a Friday without it.

it doesn't just happen in the first round ... I remember going to a Round Three game in 1989 - Cooper vs Groveton ... Groveton won 82-6 ... in this kind of situation, I think a lot of the score depends on who the winning coach is ... in several instances, I had talks with this one - his favorite saying was if you don't want the score run up, then teach your kids to play better.

I agree with the sentiment.  My point was, someone like Surratt is going to use that time when he knows the game is in hand to get his future varsity players some reps on the big stage.  They are going to work on things and get kids experience.  If they score, they score, but he's not running the 1's into the 4th quarter with the game in hand to make a statement.  If they score 70, they score 70.  I mean, they are gonna throw the ball in the 4th, but last night it was with the 4th guy to play qb...

2 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

Also just saw Jarrell (4A D2), a 4 seed won over Devine. Head coach at Jarrell is former HC at San Augustine and Alto. (Congrats Coach Murr!)

Haven’t done much research but these are some I noticed while looking at scores. It happens. Competitive district with a 4 seed defeats district champ from weaker district. As they say, that’s why the game is played out on the field. There’s always (sometimes) a chance! Lol

Agree!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JBizzle said:

Carthage only scored 42.  There's a lot of ways to not score 100 points on a team.

Carthage won state as a 3 seed in 2016.

There's gonna be beatdowns all through the playoffs.

It'll be alright.  These kids need to learn how to lose as much as they learn how to win.

AND the uil needs the money😂

2 hours ago, Mojo1000 said:

Totally agree with this statement!

3 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

The deep south Texas teams are usually weak. They don’t play real good competition they’re small and have a lot of Hispanic kids so they have no size. Then they came up north or east and play a team with a much worse record but still get run out of the stadium!🤷🏼‍♂️ 

This happens every year. And by THIS I mean someone gets on here and tries to prove a point about 4 seeds and playoff structure. Someone then shows evidence that the opposite can happen. Someone then says something involving "Back in my day".

Mismatches will happen in every round, some districts are stronger than others, nothing is wrong with more football, and why give a team a bye instead of giving a team a chance.

• Like 3

Just now, mrclean69 said:

This happens every year. And by THIS I mean someone gets on here and tries to prove a point about 4 seeds and playoff structure. Someone then shows evidence that the opposite can happen. Someone then says something involving "Back in my day".

Mismatches will happen in every round, some districts are stronger than others, nothing is wrong with more football, and why give a team a bye instead of giving a team a chance.

Exactly..all districts aren't created equal....look at Chapel Hill last year...4 seed and were one play away from playing for a state title

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DOB said:

Sure enough! Groveton was a mean machine back in the 80s and early 90s!

I believe this conversation is had every year. Your gonna have competitive districts with 4 seeds beating weaks DC's and your gonna have some 4 seeds have 80 points hung on them. The UIL likes their money and it's gonna stay that way! I've been telling people for a while that Buna is a good ball team despite being 4 seed and they came within 3 points from sending DC Diboll to the house last night!

• Like 1