Rusk vs Gilmer

buckeyefandom

A lot of people in East Texas may not know all of the connections here. Former Gilmer (now UTSA) coaches, Jeff Traylor and Matt Turner early in their careers were at Jacksonville. Both McCown brothers played for them there. In fact, ET QB legend (and future Head Coach himself) has often cited his relationship as a player with Coach Turner and Coach Traylor. And few know the powerful impact Josh has had on the Gilmer kids and program (current coaching staff included). Simply stated, most Gilmer folks consider this game a FAMILY AFFAIR. (I just wish the second generation McCown was wearing black and orange this whole time!)

There is nothing but love, gratitude and respect here in Gilmer for all things McCown, Canady, Rusk, Jacksonville, Alto, Nach.. etc. The Buckeyes will Have their hands full tonight, rain or not! But we will also have our hearts full of love, respect and gratitude… knowing that the success we have had as a program here in this century would have never been possible without Jacksonville ISD, the Danny Long tree, and kids named McCown! Hide and watch folks.  The generations of football stories that are yet to be told well into the next century will “touch base” tonight in Tyler. #FootballFamily

E15F7DEE-0881-4F5C-9F71-717F31DE2374.jpeg

• Like 4

I'm glad to see somebody on here mentioned this game, even if it is just vaguely.  The story behind the story is pretty neat.  The relationships built by coaches with other coaches, with the young men who play for them, and the parents of those players usually go well beyond the gridiron.  This is one of those "the rest of the story" posts.

McCown will DEFINITELY be a problem for our defense to contain.  We must get pressure repeatedly and try to keep him in the pocket.  It's when he has time, whether in the pocket or rolling out with a run, pass option is when he is at his best.  We can't let him do that repeatedly or he will make us pay.  He has good receivers, and a good RB, too.

The biggest advantage I can see is that Gilmer has a better defense, in my opinion.  Gilmer's offense is a rhythm offense.  We need to establish a rhythm early and keep it if we want to win this game.  In other words, we MUST be Gilmer and do what Gilmer does, win games.  We "should" win this game, and I think we will, but they better play "UP" like I know they can.  I haven't really seen that "UP" game yet this season.  In the playoffs, it doesn't matter what the records are.  It is win, or go home. This is the beginning of the third stage/goal of the Buckeye season.

Edited by blackflag79
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Anybody giving Rusk a puncher’s chance?

Only everybody wearing a black jersey with orange trim tonight. This is the playoffs.  0-0.  ANYBODY can beat ANYBODY on ANY given night. When it is win or go home, NOW is all that matters. And Rusk is NOW.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, buckeyefandom said:

Only everybody wearing a black jersey with orange trim tonight. This is the playoffs.  0-0.  ANYBODY can beat ANYBODY on ANY given night. When it is win or go home, NOW is all that matters. And Rusk is NOW.

That’s the best way to look at it and for the players to bring it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoveTheChain said:

We all remember that time the Buckeyes played a 4 loss L-E team in the first round of the playoffs.  😲

Take nobody lightly.  

Funny thing about that 2006 team.  I told some friends and family members after they played Daingerfield earlier that season, a game Gilmer won 62-42, that if anybody could hold Gilmer under 40 points they would beat us.  Dang thang is, I was right.  I didn't fall for the hype.  We were definitely good enough to win it all, but our defense never gelled that year at all.  Suffice it to say, after that I came to the realization that if Gilmer focused on DEFENSE a little more we would have more titles than we do now.  That's just a fact nobody wanted to face with the DC we had at the time.  Our new DC is a good one, and we focus on DEFENSE a lot more, and that is what will keep you in a game long enough for your offense to win it for you more times than not.  Other times, the other team is just plain better.  I don't like to lose, but to lose to a team you "know" you should've beaten is a big NO for me.  That's why I have a healthy respect for ALL opponents, and I trust our coaches to have our kids thinking the same way.

19 - 7  Buckeyes

Halftime

Have said it all year, who ever is calling plays for Gilmer should be relieved of that duty.  Terrible play calling.

Rusk is a decent team and have some athletes. McCown is a good player and they have some other kids who can go.

Weather is terrible.

Refs are letting the kids play and I like that.

Gilmer QB got horse-collar tackled and is a little banged up. Hope he is alright.

That's about it for now.

Edited by metalhead10
spelling

30 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Gilmer missed two extra points and a field goal. Is Gilmer having an off night. 
Rusk has held them on downs and forced them to punt and a pick 6. 

Gilmer is the 2nd best team I’ve seen this year in d2 but I’m gonna tell ya they don’t won’t none of Carthage. Carthage will beat Gilmer with ease. 

4 minutes ago, metalhead10 said:

19 -7 end of 3rd

Gilmer play calling is a joke.

Carthage has nothing to worry about

Y'all will crush us.

I didn’t want to say anything negative about Gilmer because I am a Gilmer fan when they are not playing the Dawgs. 
But Carthage will run them plumb out of the stadium if they meet up. That little QB will get crushed by the Dawg front seven. 
The Dawg offense will do what ever they want to do. 

• Like 1