West Rusk 9-2 vs Waskom (Home Team) 6-4 at Tatum Thursday 7PM Area Round

Lion54

Area Round  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this game

This poll is closed to new votes

I’ll give you my 2 cents. Waskom played really hard after the fight.  I’m not 100%. But I’m pretty sure I saw a West Rusk coach hit a waskom kid!!! I hope they have it on video. If so he should be fired on the spot. I’m not real sure how they didn’t suspend the game and call it a double forfeit.  Both teams cleared there benches. Waskom was more talented. I’m also sure coaching caused waskom to have a chance to win. But also cost them the game. Why not run the dive. 20 got 4 yards every play. The freshman free safety is a stud!!!!!   Losing # 8 cost waskom for sure. And last thing refs were pretty one sided for West Rusk 

• Like 2
  • Stinks 3

After a long drive home I can sit down and reflect on this season.  Waskom as some who have watched this year can attest, have been a mixed bag of undisciplined kids and that was on display tonight.  But I hate to see any kids lose in such a manner.  Could say a whole lot about officiating in this game but that would change nothing.  Bottom line, get one more first down and the game is in the bag.  Could not get it done.  Congratulations to WR.  They get one more week to compete.  I don’t see them as serious contenders beyond that.  Not nearly enough Defense to compete against DF or Newton IMO.  Waskom will (should) be better for the next 3-4 years.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Ringside said:

After a long drive home I can sit down and reflect on this season.  Waskom as some who have watched this year can attest, have been a mixed bag of undisciplined kids and that was on display tonight.  But I hate to see any kids lose in such a manner.  Could say a whole lot about officiating in this game but that would change nothing.  Bottom line, get one more first down and the game is in the bag.  Could not get it done.  Congratulations to WR.  They get one more week to compete.  I don’t see them as serious contenders beyond that.  Not nearly enough Defense to compete against DF or Newton IMO.  Waskom will (should) be better for the next 3-4 years.  

Got some good skilled players coming up next year may have some growing pains early but if we can get some lineman play we will be good

20 minutes ago, Ijustwatch said:

I’ll give you my 2 cents. Waskom played really hard after the fight.  I’m not 100%. But I’m pretty sure I saw a West Rusk coach hit a waskom kid!!! I hope they have it on video. If so he should be fired on the spot. I’m not real sure how they didn’t suspend the game and call it a double forfeit.  Both teams cleared there benches. Waskom was more talented. I’m also sure coaching caused waskom to have a chance to win. But also cost them the game. Why not run the dive. 20 got 4 yards every play. The freshman free safety is a stud!!!!!   Losing # 8 cost waskom for sure. And last thing refs were pretty one sided for West Rusk 

I did not see that happen, but heard a nearby fan make the same comment on the coach  thing.  I sure hope that isn’t the case.
Everyone can question the 4th down call, but if they had called the dive and it failed we would be questioning that call tonight. The  QB got much closer than I expected based on the penetration he faced.

The missed call on the incomplete pass , then the pass interference call were huge keeping the offense alive.  But, before that a Waskom kid cost his team 15 yards because of undisciplined behavior.  Well, tomorrow night I go see my grandson’s Frankston Indians whip up on Timpson.  😀  

• LOL! 1
  • Roll Eyes 1

6 hours ago, Ijustwatch said:

I know a dad from Waskom came to our sideline trying to start something with one of our kids. Basketball season should be fun when we play Waskom. Hope he brings that same intensity as he tried to with the kid from West Rusk 

6 hours ago, Ijustwatch said:

I went and watched and am a neutral fan one both benches didn't clear waskom was only one that did and surprised more from waskom were not kicked out alot more then just the three kids were throwing punches also I thought the refs were pretty decent now granted I didn't see last 7 min of game because we left early 

6 hours ago, Ringside said:

I did not see that happen, but heard a nearby fan make the same comment on the coach  thing.  I sure hope that isn’t the case.
Everyone can question the 4th down call, but if they had called the dive and it failed we would be questioning that call tonight. The  QB got much closer than I expected based on the penetration he faced.

The missed call on the incomplete pass , then the pass interference call were huge keeping the offense alive.  But, before that a Waskom kid cost his team 15 yards because of undisciplined behavior.  Well, tomorrow night I go see my grandson’s Frankston Indians whip up on Timpson.  😀  

Maybe so.. If so my friend @Bear9T1 could come watch more CC playoff games! 🤣 If Frankston can even just give em a competitive game, that would speak volumes.. I don't really think they can but you never know what could happen on any given friday! Good for the Indians to be in the mix and get em a playoff win this year!

• Like 1

I thought West Rusk had the superior talent. Both teams looked good at times and very sloppy at times. As far as the coaching, I didn’t agree with what WR was doing in the 3rd quarter with a good lead going to a no backfield and passing. They had a 3 and out and let waskom back in the game. Of course the fight turned the momentum more to waskoms favor. They were very fortunate to pull this game out. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Couchcoach said:

Waskom got screwed on the PI call. But they showed West Rusk's weaknesses to the world.

Nope, that was the definition of PI. WR got hit prior to ball arriving. I’m not a WR fan, just happened to switch over to game right before that plat and you can blatantly see the kid get hit to where he couldn’t make the catch with the ball about 1 second away. PI all day every day.  

I’m not sure what game you were watching. I was on WR side. Maybe not all of Wr kids left the sideline. But a bunch did.  Waskom I guess had more that did. But the rule is if you leave the bench area and come onto the field you shall be ejected. Refs didn’t catch them all I guess. Waskom coaches rallied there Team better after that. But in the end West Rusk still got lucky. Waskom should have won. Run the play that got you there. #20 would have won you the game. 

7 hours ago, Ringside said:

Newton is pretty dang good this year. Their offensive line is huge/athletic and has a lot of skill kids with a lot of depth on the team. I honestly do not see any team in the region playing them closely this year. Next year will be a different story. There will be many youngsters taking over. But, this should be the year Newton is back playing in Dallas. One game at a time though. 

I enjoyed the game for the drama of back and forth scoring, WR was highly ranked and Waskom was down around 26 or so, I was hoping for a win but not expecting it but was surprise by Waskom offensive display and had a great opportunity to win the game but just couldn't making that closing stop or that closing first down. I watched the film on the fight in slow motion and didn't see any coach from WR hit a Waskom player and I seen two of the Waskom players injected and rightly so, I have no clue who got injected from WR. I want to say this to coach Pearson and staff that you did a great job getting Waskom to this point of the season. I look forward to the next few years because I know what we have coming up. Next year might be a little tough but after that Waskom should be setting pretty. Here's to you WR for moving on down the line. Good Luck

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bansheefan03 said:

I went and watched and am a neutral fan one both benches didn't clear waskom was only one that did and surprised more from waskom were not kicked out alot more then just the three kids were throwing punches also I thought the refs were pretty decent now granted I didn't see last 7 min of game because we left early 

Just watched the fight, rewinded it, and watched again.  Zero WR players left the sideline to join in.  Only WR coaches.  I counted at least 15 Waskom players that left the sideline, with multiple swinging as they went in.  SMH.  

• Like 1

I will say this, back in the day this was a normal Friday night, but for the refs to let this happen and there not be consequences teaches the kids absolutely nothing.  The WR kid that picked the Waskom kid up and slammed him down head first that started the fight(when kids come to the aid of their team mate everything that happens from there own can be expected, but does not go unpunished).  That kid should have been kicked out of the game for sure, given an unsportsman call, then the fight that took place after that could be offsetting.  You can bet that the UIL is going to look at this and there may be punishment coming later.  When kids go unpunished or anyone for that, they will not learn anything and it will happen again.  

8 minutes ago, wildtigers said:

I will say this, back in the day this was a normal Friday night, but for the refs to let this happen and there not be consequences teaches the kids absolutely nothing.  The WR kid that picked the Waskom kid up and slammed him down head first that started the fight(when kids come to the aid of their team mate everything that happens from there own can be expected, but does not go unpunished).  That kid should have been kicked out of the game for sure, given an unsportsman call, then the fight that took place after that could be offsetting.  You can bet that the UIL is going to look at this and there may be punishment coming later.  When kids go unpunished or anyone for that, they will not learn anything and it will happen again.  

I was surprised that the WR kid was allowed to stay in the game afterwards.  His body slam is what caused the fight.  Would have been nice to get an audio recap of the penalties from the Official on both sides.  I would also say that the play happening on the Waskom side of the field likely contributed to the number of Waskom players that left the bench.  But based on what I saw, I expect several Waskom players would have gone to the WR side had the play happened over there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildtigers said:

The kid that slammed the Waskom kid got ejected. All of it was uncalled for. I think suspension is coming for the kid from WR.

28 minutes ago, Ijustwatch said:

What was the penalty count. I’m pretty sure. It was like Waskom 12-13 to WR 2-3. I hate officials were that much involved. Waskom was the better team. 

The penalties called on Waskom were right… WR just played more disciplined football last night. Waskom was not the better team. You should stick to just watching and quit commenting. 

19 minutes ago, Ijustwatch said:

What was the penalty count. I’m pretty sure. It was like Waskom 12-13 to WR 2-3. I hate officials were that much involved. Waskom was the better team. 

Ok, I get it that Waskom had more penalties than WR. Do you think that could be cause they committed more penalties, or is it really the refs fault. I watch this game from the sidelines (standing on the track) last night. I am sure that the refs missed penalties and called some that were questionable on both sides. People are coming on here and saying WR is overrated, and they ain't any good. I have not seen anyone on here that has said WR is this world beater. It is not WR fault that they were put in the top ten polls all year. I seen 2 teams play hard last night. I seen 2 teams let their emotions get the best of them last night, but hey we are taking about 15,16,17 year old kids here. I'm proud that WR is moving on, I'm proud of Waskom for giving everything they had last night. This forum is getting really ridiculous, when we as adults seem to always want to talk bad about teenagers. Be proud of you team and support them without having to downright destroy another team to make you feel good. I love high school football and I have always been a Smoaky.com fan. I'm almost to the point that I would ask Smoaky to do the same thing with this forum that they have done with the Friday Night App. Just my 2 cents, which really ain't worth anything. Let's go Raiders work hard next week to get passed that next round.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ijustwatch said:

Not that it matters anymore, but WR had the offsetting unsportsmanlike on the brawl,  a forward lateral, and a false start prior to great catch to win it.  The only one that really bugged me was the no call holding on the corner which let WR go past him for the score.  Pearson was screaming at the ref and ref  was shaking his head no.  I know the refs had no stake in who wins, so I just couldn’t grasp that situation.