5A D1 R2 Area: Longview vs Frisco Lone Star

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (11-0) vs Frisco Lone Star Rangers (9-2)  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Frisco Lone Star in a close one
    • Frisco Lone Star in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/19/2022 at 01:30 AM

3 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Longview will eventually play a team with a solid run defense.  That’s why it’s important for them to throw the ball in these early rounds, even if they don’t have to.  

No one was getting anything done in the passing game on Friday. We tried the long game...nope. We tried the short game...nope. It was just plain too wet and too windy. Crosby couldn't do it either.

I suspect we'll have more of a passing attack against Lone Star. Their strength is their defense, especially after losing the 1st and 2nd string QBs.

But at the end of the day, nobody is stopping Taylor Tatum and Alijah Johnson for the entire night. It'll be just if they can stop them enough to get some scores.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LufkinPack said:

94F8AED2-36EC-42CC-9B98-2980E36971F4.gif

lol I hope so.

I completely understand people's fears about the passing game. Some of the play calling with the downfield shots, I just didn't understand. There was no way those things were being completed, especially as the game went on. But yea, our rushing attack is just so unreal this year.

My big question is who's line will we come up against, offensively or defensively, that will be able to match ours.

Our D line would be in for a big match up against Aledo's O line, no doubt. Especially if their QB comes back completely healthy. Lancaster again, worries me a little even though I think we're the better team.

I've watched Frisco Lone Star multiple times this season. I haven't watched the full Richland game yet but the Royals just looked slow as can be. Lone Star has some players but I just can't see them slowing down Tatum anywhere near enough.

Turnovers and penalties are the only down fall I see in this team outside of the lack of passing game. But we just need Jordan to be a little above average, and I think we'll be more than fine.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LoboFan07 said:

lol I hope so.

I completely understand people's fears about the passing game. Some of the play calling with the downfield shots, I just didn't understand. There was no way those things were being completed, especially as the game went on. But yea, our rushing attack is just so unreal this year.

My big question is who's line will we come up against, offensively or defensively, that will be able to match ours.

Our D line would be in for a big match up against Aledo's O line, no doubt. Especially if their QB comes back completely healthy. Lancaster again, worries me a little even though I think we're the better team.

I've watched Frisco Lone Star multiple times this season. I haven't watched the full Richland game yet but the Royals just looked slow as can be. Lone Star has some players but I just can't see them slowing down Tatum anywhere near enough.

Turnovers and penalties are the only down fall I see in this team outside of the lack of passing game. But we just need Jordan to be a little above average, and I think we'll be more than fine.

Yeah, I get where you’re coming from. Honestly man, I really just don’t see anybody in 5A that can beat Longview. I mean obviously if y’all have one of those lackluster performances with 3-4 turnovers it can happen. I think the only team with a shot is Aledo. I guess Lancaster maybe, but I think Longview wins that next meeting handily. I ain’t overly impressed with Lancaster anyways. As long as y’all just continue to be Longview, it’s nails. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Yeah, I get where you’re coming from. Honestly man, I really just don’t see anybody in 5A that can beat Longview. I mean obviously if y’all have one of those lackluster performances with 3-4 turnovers it can happen. I think the only team with a shot is Aledo. I guess Lancaster maybe, but I think Longview wins that next meeting handily. I ain’t overly impressed with Lancaster anyways. As long as y’all just continue to be Longview, it’s nails. 

Agreed.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

lol I hope so.

How many times in the last 15+ years has Lobo Nation had this same thought, only to underperform in the playoffs, and ultimately lose?  We all want Longview to win state but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.  One game at a time.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

How many times in the last 15+ years has Lobo Nation had this same thought, only to underperform in the playoffs, and ultimately lose?  We all want Longview to win state but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.  One game at a time.

Context.

How many teams have Longview had of THIS caliber the past 15+ years?

I'll go ahead and tell you...only the 1997, 2004 and 2018 teams have the peak of this years' team....probably this side of desegregation. 

You act like Lobo fans were booking their tickets to AT&T in years like 2016. Stop it.

One game at a time. Goal is to go 1-0 every week...Coach King preaches it harder than anyone. We know what it takes to win it all. It's just confidence with the team we have this year.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, hoopscoach17 said:

Is any one going to live stream this game? I would assume NFHS but I really don't know. Pretty sure it won't be Texan Live since they pretty much carry the Houston region.

We'll find out tomorrow.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Every fan base has their fair share of over the top fans. Ours are just a little bit louder than most.

The only real years Longview has underperformed would be 2005 and 2013 imo.

2005 continues to get brought up to this day, heck King talked about it indepth on the pre game show this past Friday.

2006, no one thought we were doing anything. Same in 2007 then we went to the Semis.
Went to state in 2008 and 2009.
Semis in 2010 with a 6-4 regular season team.
2011, we all knew DeKaney would be our big test. They won by 10 in a crazy wind game and end up winning state.
2012, down to our sophomore QB and sophomore back. Happy just to get to Regional Semis.
2013, that year I'll give you. I fully expected us to go further than the Regional Semis before A&M beat us. I still can't figure that loss out.
2014, lol no. We were lucky Lufkin couldn't stop us in the 2nd half to even get out of the first round. If we were 6A, we wouldn't of even made the post season.
2015, went to the Quarterfinals with a team that lost to Marshall. The world was ending in October and we went out there and could've easily been in the Finals had we not blown our shot against Lake Ridge.
I can't think of anyone who thought we were doing anything in 2016. That season coupled with '14 were just awful to follow, seeing our boys basically just going through the motion.
Not many people though we'd do much in 2017 either, especially after losing to Horn in district. Went to the Semis.
2018, did exactly what we felt we could at the start of the year and won State.
2019 no doubt we felt we'd go further than we did but we all knew something was off with the team. All year long. Really not that big of a difference between losing to that Jesuit squad or waiting two weeks later for Westfield to beat us, especially after Kaden got injured against the Ranges.
2020 and 2021, we were hopeful but come on. Denton Ryan was clearly better than us both years.

It's really not as often as people try and make it out to be about us.

Have we had games we could've and should've won? Of course. We've also had games we should've lost.

I do think this is one of the weakest regions we have been since King came on board, excluding Lancaster. I have an idea of where Timberview is, but they're still TBD. Not saying it'll be a complete cake walk or anything of course, but this is one we should be winning. And like I said, I just don't know who's line is going to match up with either of ours.

Edited by LoboFan07
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Um, not often? We've only thought we'd have long playoff run a few years under King. The 2018  team was the first I thought really had a chance at state, and they did. The 2019 team seemed off all year. I didn't expect them to lose 2nd round, but I didn't see them running the table. 

And yeah, for the team, one game at a time should be the mantra. And knowing Coach King, it certainly is. 

For us fans? Doesn't really matter how we feel, what games we talk about, etc. 

Edited by JohnnyFootball
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

This. Our passing game has shown that under the right conditions and with the right playcalling, it can be a deadly threat. Against Forney, we were 12-19 passing for 250 yards. And most of that was in the first half, I believe.

With our defense, we just need to be able to run the ball well and not turn the ball over. Completing the occasional pass is nice, but certainly not necessary. The 2018 team needed some amazing performances passing to go all the way. Haynes threw for 400+ yards in the state game, out of necessity. But our defense this year is so good that all the passing game has to do is not lose us the game. 

Teams left who is gonna really be able to stop us more then we stop them  

Edited by WolverBean

1 hour ago, WolverBean said:

Teams left who is gonna really be able to stop us more then we stop them  

Aledo has the potential, obviously it's Aledo.

Lancaster has shown they can slow us down. Just would be interested in seeing how they game plan this time around. I can't see us dropping as many picks this time around if it were to happen as we did last. But they definitely have the D line to match our O line. Tatum would still get his, just how much would be enough for us to win.

Timberview, is still a massive question mark to me.

I don't think Lone Star, Port Arthur Memorial or Wakeland has the defense to slow Tatum down enough to get the W. PAM, I feel would try the hurry up offense like Lancaster tried. Lone Star I just don't think has the offense to match us. Wakeland, I still can't figure out.

Other side, Smithson Valley has the defense for sure but they're still missing key guys on offense due to injury. College Station, A&M, Fulshear, Georegtown, Angleton...I have absolutely no idea who comes from that side. They'll all be extremely tested once they get to Jerry World. Just don't know how good any of their Ds are. College Station has at least been there, and I'd have them as the favorite if they had their own star back to get there....but eh long way off to even begin talking about that other side.

• Like 1