Area: El Campo (9-2) vs. Kilgore (8-3)

HJR7

El Campo vs. Kilgore   

54 members have voted

1. 1. Area

30 minutes ago, LetsGoEagles said:

I'll be curious if any of you Kilgore guys can find out what was the thinking behind the 1 pm start time or if lack of stadiums necessitated a need to play earlier. 

A few things I've heard.... and this is just hearsay..

El Campo wanted to play on Thursday, which would have meant a short prep week for Kilgore. Fuller not doing that.

EC would not agree to Sheldon ISD stadium because we beat them there 2 years ago (like that matters)

SHSU did not want a Friday night playoff game there because they apparently have homecoming on Saturday.

• SMH 1

Kilgore and El Campo have met 4 times in the playoffs....

2004 - Kilgore won 18-0 at Waco ISD stadium in 30+ mph winds. Kilgore went on to win the 4A-DII State Championship.

2015 - El Campo won 31-23 at New Caney. EC had big Kevin Dove and speedster Alontae Harris at RB. Good QB in Arrimbede and good defense. Ricebirds went on to beat Carthage and then got blasted by Stephenville in the SC game 70-21 I think.

2017 - Kilgore won 24 - 9 in Waco again. El Campo had a big bull of a RB named Nery Enriquez, Kilgore shut him down. 

2020 - Kilgore won 27 - 14 at Sheldon ISD stadium in Houston. EC had soph Reuben Owens and Jr Johntre Davis at RB. Owens popped a 93-yd TD run on a busted 3rd and long play.... but EC only had 150 yds rushing for the game. 

1 hour ago, WhoamI97539 said:

Kilgore is fixing to stack that box like always and make EC throw the ball to beat them. Same story just a different year until EC has a passing threat I can't see them beating us. But that's why they play the game.

Kilgore 35

EC 21

Kilgore has to contain the outside run.

1 hour ago, WhoamI97539 said:

Kilgore is fixing to stack that box like always and make EC throw the ball to beat them. Same story just a different year until EC has a passing threat I can't see them beating us. But that's why they play the game.

Kilgore 35

EC 21

Didn’t they get a new Coach . Surely they changed their overall scheme. Kilgore was famous for this and cost them dearly.  I can’t envision Kilgore losing.

Edited by Mojo1000

6 hours ago, Matt said:

What the heck??? 1pm??? 

There is a 6A game Friday night in Porter.  I guess they had to book what they could get. Porter has a really nice stadium.  Huntsville would have been closer, but they couldn’t host.   Most of the decent size stadiums are already booked for Friday night.  I wonder if Livingston was an option.  That’s a good halfway point.   

10 hours ago, Aggie98 said:

Kilgore and El Campo have met 4 times in the playoffs....

2004 - Kilgore won 18-0 at Waco ISD stadium in 30+ mph winds. Kilgore went on to win the 4A-DII State Championship.

2015 - El Campo won 31-23 at New Caney. EC had big Kevin Dove and speedster Alontae Harris at RB. Good QB in Arrimbede and good defense. Ricebirds went on to beat Carthage and then got blasted by Stephenville in the SC game 70-21 I think.

2017 - Kilgore won 24 - 9 in Waco again. El Campo had a big bull of a RB named Nery Enriquez, Kilgore shut him down. 

2020 - Kilgore won 27 - 14 at Sheldon ISD stadium in Houston. EC had soph Reuben Owens and Jr Johntre Davis at RB. Owens popped a 93-yd TD run on a busted 3rd and long play.... but EC only had 150 yds rushing for the game. 

2012 was year they beat carthage and then went onto state

22 hours ago, Mojo1000 said:

Didn’t they get a new Coach . Surely they changed their overall scheme. Kilgore was famous for this and cost them dearly.  I can’t envision Kilgore losing.

El Campo's previous coach (Condra) stepped down the week after losing to Kilgore in the playoffs in 2020. They hired Chad Worrell who won 3 State Titles at Brock to replace him. They're still about 95% run but they do it a little more creatively. I listened to EC vs Brazosport a couple of weeks ago and I don't remember EC throwing a forward pass. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Aggie98 said:

El Campo's previous coach (Condra) stepped down the week after losing to Kilgore in the playoffs in 2020. They hired Chad Worrell who won 3 State Titles at Brock to replace him. They're still about 95% run but they do it a little more creatively. I listened to EC vs Brazosport a couple of weeks ago and I don't remember EC throwing a forward pass. 

From the highlights against BP, Ruben Sandwich was lined up at WR, not RB, and they have this big bruiser at RB and he just flat ran over folks. Kid looks about 6'2 and 265. BIG 

• Like 1