Area: El Campo (9-2) vs. Kilgore (8-3)

HJR7

El Campo vs. Kilgore   

54 members have voted

1. 1. Area

17 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

huh, its just Wednesday morning...there will be more stuff posted today...gotta spread the content out through the week...more eyes are on things mid-week than on Monday

The small school preview will be posted today...big school preview posted yesterday AM, computer game projections posted yesterday afternoon, TepAndStepp posted late Monday...thats in addition to Texas Football Today which was at noon Monday and Tuesday. 

That being said El Campo-Kilgore didnt get highlighted this week in my small school preview...

The 4A-D1 games I looked at were Anna-Stephenville and Calallen-San Antonio Davenport

On this we can agree, should be a GREAT game 

9 minutes ago, LetsGoEagles said:

No, that's what I was giving Matt crap about. On the weekly Tepp and Stepp podcast they pick 10 games around the state, so to their credit it is ALL classifications. And to Matt's credit, it's Greg Tepper that loves to kiss up to SOC, not Matt.  

And sometimes when we do our game draft we may not always pick the absolute best games...sometimes there's a weirdo game that catches our attention for one reason or another...

• Like 1

4A DI Region III Lumberton (10-1) Stafford  (7-4) Lumberton (10-1) favored by 14
4A DI Region III Tyler Chapel Hill (9-2) Bay City  (8-3) Tyler Chapel Hill (9-2) favored by 10
4A DI Region III Lindale (7-4) Freeport Brazosport  (6-5) Lindale (7-4) favored by 5
4A DI Region III El Campo (9-2) Kilgore  (8-3) El Campo (9-2) favored by 4

in my opinion I don't think Kilgore has played very well overall since before the bye week....almost seems like we have been just going through the motions...now granted CHILL was very good and had a lot to do with it, but we just look off with penalties, turnovers, and just overall execution...not terrible just a little off....I'm hoping they got back in gear after the second half of LCM game...they had a little more fire to them when they came back out and put them away...Kilgore can go as far as they wanna go if they play to their potential....will need a few breaks as well but this Kilgore team when clicking is pretty dang good...nothing against El Campo they have a very good team as well... but if we come out and play Kilgore football El Campo is gonna have a huge problem...

Edited by kdogs00

10 hours ago, LetsGoEagles said:

No, that's what I was giving Matt crap about. On the weekly Tepp and Stepp podcast they pick 10 games around the state, so to their credit it is ALL classifications. And to Matt's credit, it's Greg Tepper that loves to kiss up to SOC, not Matt.  

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2022/11/16/texas-high-school-football-predictions-2022-area-round?ref=article_preview_title

told ya. Very 1st game. 🤣😂

4 hours ago, kdogs00 said:

in my opinion I don't think Kilgore has played very well overall since before the bye week....almost seems like we have been just going through the motions...now granted CHILL was very good and had a lot to do with it, but we just look off with penalties, turnovers, and just overall execution...not terrible just a little off....I'm hoping they got back in gear after the second half of LCM game...they had a little more fire to them when they came back out and put them away...Kilgore can go as far as they wanna go if they play to their potential....will need a few breaks as well but this Kilgore team when clicking is pretty dang good...nothing against El Campo they have a very good team as well... but if we come out and play Kilgore football El Campo is gonna have a huge problem...

I agree and disargee. If you look at the  CH game and the LCM game. Kilgore looked like a complete different team from the 1st half to the 2nd half. Giving up one touchdown in those games during the 2nd half. If they can play a complete game like that I believe they should win, if that first half team shows up all game it might be problems for them. I'm still rolling with the Dogs!

• Like 1

It seems that every time we face El Campo in the playoffs, the narrative always evolves into "will Kilgore's defense be able to slow down that vaunted Ricebird rushing attack?". The majority of the time we do, but Kilgore's offense hardly ever gets any credit going into these matchups. So let me share a few stats if y'all don't mind....

Kilgore's running back, Isaiah Ross, has rushed for 1,926 yds this season with 19 TD's. Kilgore has had a lot of great running backs through the years, but I can only remember 3 or 4 eclipsing 2,000 yds in a season. That's elite company.

I mentioned yesterday that El Campo has ~ 400 yds passing on the season. VanZandt for Kilgore is just over 1,600 yds passing with 16 TD's to just 3 INT's. I believe all 3 of those INT's came in week 1 vs Carthage.... so since then he's 15 TD's to 0 INT's. I think a lot of teams would like to have that.

Strength of schedule.... looking at the top 25 ranked teams in 4A-D1, Kilgore's SoS is #1 (just ahead of Stephenville). We've paid our dues to get here.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aggie98 said:

It seems that every time we face El Campo in the playoffs, the narrative always evolves into "will Kilgore's defense be able to slow down that vaunted Ricebird rushing attack?". The majority of the time we do, but Kilgore's offense hardly ever gets any credit going into these matchups. So let me share a few stats if y'all don't mind....

Kilgore's running back, Isaiah Ross, has rushed for 1,926 yds this season with 19 TD's. Kilgore has had a lot of great running backs through the years, but I can only remember 3 or 4 eclipsing 2,000 yds in a season. That's elite company.

I mentioned yesterday that El Campo has ~ 400 yds passing on the season. VanZandt for Kilgore is just over 1,600 yds passing with 16 TD's to just 3 INT's. I believe all 3 of those INT's came in week 1 vs Carthage.... so since then he's 15 TD's to 0 INT's. I think a lot of teams would like to have that.

Strength of schedule.... looking at the top 25 ranked teams in 4A-D1, Kilgore's SoS is #1 (just ahead of Stephenville). We've paid our dues to get here.

Yes, Ross is a stud, Kilgore is #2 in SOS to Paris. just an FYI. I have great respect for Kilgore and their program. Did Ross’s have an older brother play RB in 2020? 

8 minutes ago, LetsGoEagles said:

Yes, Ross is a stud, Kilgore is #2 in SOS to Paris. just an FYI. I have great respect for Kilgore and their program. Did Ross’s have an older brother play RB in 2020? 

Don't think so. Isaiah Ross was a soph #2 RB in 2020 behind Epps. 

9 hours ago, Aggie98 said:

he threw a pick in the chapel hill game, then on the next play that man child Ricky Stewart ran 60yrds untouched to pay dirt. Strength of schedule has alot to do with how you play in the playoff and know how to compete with someone that might be better than you 

Tyler Chapel Hill (9-2) vs. Bay City (8-3), 7 p.m. Friday at Humble’s Turner Stadium Stepp’s Pick: Tyler Chapel Hill by 17

Lumberton (10-1) vs. Stafford (7-4), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Beaumont’s Memorial Stadium Stepp’s Pick: Lumberton by 18

Brazosport (6-5) vs. Lindale (7-4), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Georgetown’s Georgetown ISD Stadium Stepp’s Pick: Lindale by 11

El Campo (9-2) vs. Kilgore (8-3), 1 p.m. Friday at Porter’s Randall Reed Stadium Stepp’s Pick: Kilgore by 5

Stepps picks

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aggie98 said:

I truly believe if Kilgore plays well this game will not be as close in the end as most think it will....the key to me is tackle well and don't give away pts via turnover or special teams...I just believe we will stop them more than they stop us

• Like 2