Who can give Carthage a game?

michaelmyers

1 minute ago, mikehoncho said:

Carthage fan here… unnecessary thread because all it does is upset people and because Carthage is heavily favored wire to wire so it’s not really saying anything anyone else has not already said. 

The move in stuff is dumb and we covered that earlier in the year on a different thread. Not even gonna go into that because everyone knows it’s dumb. 

Great post!

Ready for VA and maybe a contest versus Gilmer on the horizon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JBizzle said:

There is no school in East Texas that has 22 starters who have been in the school since kindergarten. If they do, that is a dying town that nobody has moved to.

Lufkin. I can count maybe 5 move-ins the last 10 years. During the John outlaw days, all home grown. I know because I was in the Lufkin football program from 2002-2005. We all started playing together age 5 and that is almost exactly how it goes around here still. We get what we get and that’s all there is to it. 

Either way, Carthage is a beast for many reasons and it starts with SS. Kids grow up wanting to play football there and that keeps the fire burning. He has built a wonderful program and personally, I admire it. I have full respect for Carthage and their fan base. I’d rather those trophies stay in East Texas. Go Dawgs! 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Lufkin. I can count maybe 5 move-ins the last 10 years. During the John outlaw days, all home grown. I know because I was in the Lufkin football program from 2002-2005. We all started playing together age 5 and that is almost exactly how it goes around here still. We get what we get and that’s all there is to it. 

Either way, Carthage is a beast for many reasons and it starts with SS. Kids grow up wanting to play football there and that keeps the fire burning. He has built a wonderful program and personally, I admire it. I have full respect for Carthage and their fan base. I’d rather those trophies stay in East Texas. Go Dawgs! 

We love your support, @LufkinPack!!!

Thank you!

Hopefully our Bulldogs stay focused and healthy throughout.

Last season the OL and QB weren’t quite ready nor was the rushing attack.  This season, all three of those areas are vastly improved.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, LetsGoEagles said:

So let’s look at this topic from a “could potentially” stand-point. Here’s who could potentially give Carthage a game:

- Gilmer - needs a perfect game and to be aggressive offensively the whole game and keep trying to score the entire 48. Defense will need to force at least 3 TO’s and hold Carthage under 21 points. This will be a tall task. %20 chance to pull the upset. 

- PG - see above ^^^ just don’t see that they realistically can, but in a 1 game scenario, anything can happen. Carthage would have to do some imploding for them to beat them. 10% chance to pull the upset. 

- Silsbee - I think this is the team that can do it, if anyone can. Again, 1 game scenario, have to play perfect and have to win the trenches. They are probably more athletic than Carthage but not as savvy at passing the ball. They will need to play a perfect game and get at least 1 TO a half and turn it into a TD for a +14 margin. %35 chance to pull the upset. 

Belleville - See Gilmer or PG. I give them a 15-20% chance to pull the upset. Can score with a solid defense. 

Cuero- this team has a chance but has to get some things figured out. They seemed hot at the early season but seem to maybe be struggling. With their defense anything can happen but they have to get right. In a 1 game scenario where anything can happen, I say they’re a 20% to win team. 

Wimbo  - 10% chance, just don’t think so. 

Hamshire F & Waco Con - maybe 5% chance, they may not even make regional final. 

I’m a big believer that this Carthage team is just on a mission and everything has come together. Defense is GOOD. Cuff is spinning a deadly ball this year. Receivers are deep and good, RB’s are quick but do lack size. Defense is stupid good and SO young, it’s insane. I just don’t see anyone who is evenly matched and has a 50% chance. To me, Silsbee comes the closest. I think this year is #9. 

Interesting…but no mention of Region 1. They will have a team playing in the semifinals.

4 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

We love your support, @LufkinPack!!!

Thank you!

Hopefully our Bulldogs stay focused and healthy throughout.

Last season the OL and QB weren’t quite ready nor was the rushing attack.  This season, all three of those areas are vastly improved.

You’re welcome! 

From what I’ve seen, it would take a miraculous effort to stop Carthage. (Or some unfortunate luck obviously). It almost looks like y’all have done this before 😅😂

9 minutes ago, mightyeagle said:

Let's go ahead and call uil,And give carthage the Title.

Do you think this team is better than any other Carthage Team that won STATE!

Let’s not do that, still have to win five more games.

So far, I still think 2017 and 2020 are better than this team, but like @mikehoncho said, we need to watch what happens between now and Christmas.

Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikehoncho said:

The move in stuff is dumb and we covered that earlier in the year on a different thread. Not even gonna go into that because everyone knows it’s dumb. 

Why is it dumb? Carthage does get move ins that help,  correct? I'm not trying to start anything,  just curious why you called the conversation dumb

58 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Why is it dumb? Carthage does get move ins that help,  correct? I'm not trying to start anything,  just curious why you called the conversation dumb

Like I said this was discussed in depth in a thread earlier this year. I, for one, am not going to have the same convo everytime someone wants to bring it up to try and lessen accomplishments made by superior programs. Lots of schools get move ins every year. Nobody cares when the school isn’t good. Carthage got good before they got move ins on a semi regular basis. You build a good program, parents and kids in the area want to be a part of it if they don’t like their current situation. Parents also get jobs and move. 

If I had a son and he had good football potential and I could really work anywhere or in a suburb of Longview and drive to work every day - YOU BET EVERY DOLLAR YOU HAVE I'd move to Carthage and make that drive to help him play under Surratt. 100%. That's a no brainer. And it also sounds like there are some kids with teacher parents who take jobs at Carthage. win/win. I don't blame folks at all. 

• Thanks 1

And it sounds like a lot of the times, the folks who bring this up, are the ones taking the azz whipping from Carthage …….. to bad. Get better, take it more seriously, put in a nutrition program, get a better conditioning program in off season, replace dead weight coaches who really don’t care they just want the stipend, be tougher on the kids, get more community support and quit raising softy snowflake boys. Looking inward is always harder, pointing fingers and being a little cry-baby is always easier.  

• Like 1