Who can give Carthage a game?

michaelmyers

5 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Understood. Midlothian has won nothing and is not in the same solar system with Aledo, Carthage or Argyle.

A team/program doesn't have to win it all to be a quality opponent.  They're competing on a very good level.  If you can't see that, oh well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SportsFan1984 said:

How would this Carthage team stack up to the 2013 Argyle team or the 2014 Gilmer team?

It doesn’t feel like any comparisons can truly be made until it’s all said and done. If they don’t win it all, then I’d say they don’t stack up. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Yep, Midlothian is a "quality opponent" similar to Kilgore and Marhsall. 

Take some time to educate yourself.  Who is Marshall playing this weekend?  Would have been Midlothian if they could have beaten a third place team.  Instead, Midlothian will be playing that team in the second round while Marshall sits at home. 

13 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

Take some time to educate yourself.  Who is Marshall playing this weekend?  Would have been Midlothian if they could have beaten a third place team.  Instead, Midlothian will be playing that team in the second round while Marshall sits at home. 

You are correct, but Marshall had a brain fail of epic and historical magnitude that caused them to lose to Crandall.

By the way, we had folks on here saying how many more stud players Crandall has gained since moving up to 5A due to population growth in that area……ummm, no.

They do not have any greater amount of studs than when we played them a few years ago.  “But they have a WR committed to OU!!..”

Meh, he didn’t look anything special to me.

30 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

Understood. Is the qualifier for "quality", playing in the 2nd RND? 

7 hours ago, Texlov said:

I'm not a Gilmer fan, but the Buckeyes can be competitive with Carthage.

I can agree with you IF they can get out of their own way.  It seems to be more of a mental thing than a physical thing.  I do know Gilmer will have to bring their A+ game in all phases of the game.  That's not impossible at all.  If the Buckeyes don't bring their A+ game in all phases, they are liable to be just another bump on the road to a championship for Carthage.

Heck, if they don't bring their A game this week, this matchup may never occur.  Gainesville will most certainly not roll over just because they are playing Gilmer.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

I can agree with you IF they can get out of their own way.  It seems to be more of a mental thing than a physical thing.  I do know Gilmer will have to bring their A+ game in all phases of the game.  That's not impossible at all.  If the Buckeyes don't bring their A+ game in all phases, they are liable to be just another bump on the road to a championship for Carthage.

Heck, if they don't bring their A game this week, this matchup may never occur.  Gainesville will most certainly not roll over just because they are playing Gilmer.

You left out a key point……the Gilmer OC needs to get out of his own way too.  This has been an issue since 2015.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

You left out a key point……the Gilmer OC needs to get out of his own way too.  This has been an issue since 2015.

I can agree with this, too.  I know the Buckeye playbook has to be thicker than the 15 pages of plays we run.  We also need someone in the booth that can read defenses, and know how to attack said defense.  It still boils down to execution on most plays, but we do need a much deeper playbook.  The play calling does leave a lot to be desired, and leaves me scratching my head most of the time.  It doesn't take a genius to see that certain plays will not work against certain defenses.  Sometimes, I think the other team's defense knows our plays better than we do, and it certainly doesn't take that much effort to see what's happening.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

I can agree with this, too.  I know the Buckeye playbook has to be thicker than the 15 pages of plays we run.  We also need someone in the booth that can read defenses, and know how to attack said defense.  It still boils down to execution on most plays, but we do need a much deeper playbook.  The play calling does leave a lot to be desired, and leaves me scratching my head most of the time.  It doesn't take a genius to see that certain plays will not work against certain defenses.  Sometimes, I think the other team's defense knows our plays better than we do, and it certainly doesn't take that much effort to see what's happening.

I just haven't been a fan of the QB play this year...it worries me. I know Fluellen has been hurt some, but seems he's been way underused. I just wish we'd use the RB screen a little more to utilize that talent, getting those players out in the open turf.

Edited by PelvisPresley

5 minutes ago, house said:

Carthage has made their district look very weak.  Is that the case or are the dawgs really really good.  

It's hard to say.  I think Center is very talented and athletic on offense (but Carthage made them look pedestrian).  Van was so banged up for most the year, I feel like its hard to say about them truly.  Rusk was also talented and athletic, gave Gilmer a decent game.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

I just haven't been a fan of the QB play this year...it worries me. I know Fluellen has been hurt some, but seems he's been way underused. I just wish we'd use the RB screen a little more to utilize that talent, getting those players out in the open turf.

I can also agree with you on this.  What happened to the tunnel screen, the read option, and the deep pass.  We have a tall receiver with speed on the outside that can go get it.  We have several speedsters that we can use for the tunnel screen.  The read option is probably not something we can use right now with Tennison's bad ankle.  Fluellen has been banged up for the last 4 games, so I can understand not using him unless we absolutely have to.  There's plenty of other players that can step up and make plays, though.  We just don't use our advantages on offense as much as I would like.  That again goes to the questionable play calling.  I'm not trying to dis a coach, but maybe he should be schooled by a defensive coach as to what the other team is doing defensively, and how to attack it.  I'm not sure the communication is there, or at least it doesn't appear to be from what I've seen.

14 minutes ago, house said:

Carthage has made their district look very weak.  Is that the case or are the dawgs really really good.  

The Dawgs are just that good on both sides of the ball. 
The defense is a once and a generation defense. D line, linebackers, and secondary are all exceptional talent. 
You see how good they are by how fast that attack the ball. 
The offense has 4 outstanding running backs and 4 outstanding receivers, the Oline is not only big, but are really good at both pass and run blocking. 
Cuff has a big are and operates the offense like a season vet. 
only time will tell where this Dawg team ranks among the other Dawg teams.