Who can give Carthage a game?

michaelmyers

1 hour ago, blackflag79 said:

I can agree with this, too.  I know the Buckeye playbook has to be thicker than the 15 pages of plays we run.  We also need someone in the booth that can read defenses, and know how to attack said defense.  It still boils down to execution on most plays, but we do need a much deeper playbook.  The play calling does leave a lot to be desired, and leaves me scratching my head most of the time.  It doesn't take a genius to see that certain plays will not work against certain defenses.  Sometimes, I think the other team's defense knows our plays better than we do, and it certainly doesn't take that much effort to see what's happening.

Yep, The coaches clearly know nothing, being undefeated and ranked #2 in the state and contending for a state title every year. I expect they would be mesmerized by your football insight. Probably never heard such wisdom as "needing someone in the booth that can read defenses".

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Yep, The coaches clearly know nothing, being undefeated and ranked #2 in the state and contending for a state title every year. I expect they would be mesmerized by your football insight. Probably never heard such wisdom as "needing someone in the booth that can read defenses".

It doesn't take a coach to see what's happening on the field.  You should be mesmerized.  I know I am..., even to the point I'm scratching my head so much I'm going bald.  Did I hit a nerve.  You must be a coach.  Maybe you should come out and take a look for yourself.  Heck, maybe you could sit in our booth and read the defense for us. Our coaches do a tremendous job, and I like "being undefeated and ranked #2 in the state and contending for a title every year." But, we could be even better, and I'm entitled to my opinion.  I know being a coach isn't easy or anybody could do it.  You should, however, be able to make adjustments dependent on what the defense is doing.  If you can't do that, you should be offended.  Ever heard the phrase, "Take what the defense gives you."  We haven't been doing that, so it makes one wonder.  I like our coaches, but we need to at least be able to do the above, or teams like Carthage, China Spring, etc. will continue to school us on the field.  There's literally hundreds of schools in the state who would love to be where we are, but even more would love to be where Carthage, Aledo, GP North Shore, etc. are.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

It doesn't take a coach to see what's happening on the field.  You should be mesmerized.  I know I am..., even to the point I'm scratching my head so much I'm going bald.  Did I hit a nerve.  You must be a coach.  Maybe you should come out and take a look for yourself.  Heck, maybe you could sit in our booth and read the defense for us. Our coaches do a tremendous job, and I like "being undefeated and ranked #2 in the state and contending for a title every year." But, we could be even better, and I'm entitled to my opinion.  I know being a coach isn't easy or anybody could do it.  You should, however, be able to make adjustments dependent on what the defense is doing.  If you can't do that, you should be offended.  Ever heard the phrase, "Take what the defense gives you."  We haven't been doing that, so it makes one wonder.  I like our coaches, but we need to at least be able to do the above, or teams like Carthage, China Spring, etc. will continue to school us on the field.  There's literally hundreds of schools in the state who would love to be where we are, but even more would love to be where Carthage, Aledo, GP North Shore, etc. are.

Understood. You should apply for the job. I wonder why your coaches dont know about "making adjustments dependent on what the defense is doing". That is absolute brilliance on your part. The coaches clearly have a low football IQ. If you had better coaches, Gilmer would be undefeated or "better undefeated". 

Edited by 89Falcon

Just now, 89Falcon said:

Understood. You should apply for the job. I wonder why your coaches dont know about "making adjustments dependent on what the defense is doing". That is absolute brilliance on your part. The coaches clearly have a low football IQ. 

From an outsider’s perspective, I think what BF79 is trying to say is the OC either tries to get too cute with the plays by being unpredictable, or he is dead set on a script of plays even if the defense is playing differently than expected.  

Against teams like SH and NL, it doesn’t matter what play Gilmer runs it will be successful.  Not so much vs teams like China Spring or Carthage.  It appears in those games that if plan A goes to hell, there is no adjustment to plan B.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

From an outsider’s perspective, I think what BF79 is trying to say is the OC either tries to get too cute with the plays by being unpredictable, or he is dead set on a script of plays even if the defense is playing differently than expected.  

Against teams like SH and NL, it doesn’t matter what play Gilmer runs it will be successful.  Not so much vs teams like China Spring or Carthage.  It appears in those games that if plan A goes to hell, there is no adjustment to plan B.

Understood, against CS and Carthage many teams are unable to find the correct plays and adjustments. Perhaps the Gilmer fan football knowledge bank could submit a list of recommended adjustments for Gilmer to utilize against CS and Carthage? This would be of great benefit to the Gilmer coaches who have yet grasp this concept. 

7 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Understood. You should apply for the job. I wonder why your coaches dont know about "making adjustments dependent on what the defense is doing". That is absolute brilliance on your part. The coaches clearly have a low football IQ. If you had better coaches, Gilmer would be undefeated or "better undefeated". 

Sorry, I couldn't take the pay cut, nor the hours.  Unlike your insinuations, I do respect what coaches do, but it's like any other job in that if you are not being effective it's time something changed.  Like I said, maybe you are just the man for the job since you are so dead set on defending other coaches blindly.  Have you even watched a Gilmer game?  If you have, you'd be scratching your head at times, too.

16 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

He still doesn't get it.  He has to be a coach.  I know exactly what he needs:

Trainers Warehouse Chill Pill Stress Relief Squeeze Toy

• LOL! 1

10 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Understood, against CS and Carthage many teams are unable to find the correct plays and adjustments. Perhaps the Gilmer fan football knowledge bank could submit a list of recommended adjustments for Gilmer to utilize against CS and Carthage? This would be of great benefit to the Gilmer coaches who have yet grasp this concept. 

I’ll call Coach Metzel and see about offering my consulting services to help out a district mate for the playoffs.  My offense put up a blistering 172 points in 10 games.  But I did sleep in a Holiday Inn this month!

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

1 hour ago, blackflag79 said:

Sorry, I couldn't take the pay cut, nor the hours.  Unlike your insinuations, I do respect what coaches do, but it's like any other job in that if you are not being effective it's time something changed.  Like I said, maybe you are just the man for the job since you are so dead set on defending other coaches blindly.  Have you even watched a Gilmer game?  If you have, you'd be scratching your head at times, too.

I have watched Gilmer. It is my understanding that they are currently undefeated and ranked #2 in the State. I have also noticed that always contend for state titles and make deep playoff runs. Probably need to hire some new coaches from programs who have not won as much as the Gilmer coaches and then Gilmer would be better. 

4 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

I have watched Gilmer. It is my understanding that they are currently undefeated and ranked #2 in the State. I have also noticed that always contend for state titles and make deep playoff runs. Probably need to hire some new coaches from programs who have not won as much as the Gilmer coaches and then Gilmer would be better. 

No way.  The Buckeyes are just fine.  I will just continue to scratch my head.😛  Not much hair left anyway.  It is what it is, something I can't change.  Our defensive coordinator is a very good coach, and he has made a very noticeable difference in our team's defense since he took over.  The offense seems to have taken a few steps back, though, and that's the point I'm trying to get across.  We used to be known for being a team that was explosive offensively, but just a little above average defensively.  I guess we can't have it both ways like the aforementioned teams.  Oh, well...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, FutbolFan1 said:

You're obviously not new...maybe just dont know Carthage folks. Arrogant bunch of sobs.

I am sorry as a group we’ve come across that way in your opinion, and I’d like to think and hope it is really just from a few who’ve been too overzealous in their love for our Bulldogs and confidence in them.

I promise we’re not a bunch of arrogant punk SOB’s.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Listen, I get nervous before every game and I don't have a kid on the team.  I expect every team to give Carthage their best shot.  And I know that these are high school kids that can be off on any given day.

That being said, I also know what we have here.  I have seen a lot of football in my life, and what Carthage does here is very awesome.  The work that Scott and his coaches do every week is outstanding.  They put in long hours.  They start with these kids in 7th grade teaching them the system.  Carthage has talented kids who put in hard work also.  8 state championships in 15 years speaks for itself.

I am sorry that we aren't going to sit here and expect to lose to every team we play.  False humility is not a good trait.  Part of what's going on in Carthage is the expectation to win.  These kids think they can beat anyone they play.  That is not to be underestimated.

I think some of our crew is more likely to overestimate our talent than to be arrogant.

But yes, we think our kids are good and our coaches are good.  The goal is to play into December every season.  Just the way it is.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

44 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Listen, I get nervous before every game and I don't have a kid on the team.  I expect every team to give Carthage their best shot.  And I know that these are high school kids that can be off on any given day.

That being said, I also know what we have here.  I have seen a lot of football in my life, and what Carthage does here is very awesome.  The work that Scott and his coaches do every week is outstanding.  They put in long hours.  They start with these kids in 7th grade teaching them the system.  Carthage has talented kids who put in hard work also.  8 state championships in 15 years speaks for itself.

I am sorry that we aren't going to sit here and expect to lose to every team we play.  False humility is not a good trait.  Part of what's going on in Carthage is the expectation to win.  These kids think they can beat anyone they play.  That is not to be underestimated.

I think some of our crew is more likely to overestimate our talent than to be arrogant.

But yes, we think our kids are good and our coaches are good.  The goal is to play into December every season.  Just the way it is.

Ah, come on, J!  You know you are sandbagging here!🤣

The way I see it, Carthage has earned the right to be somewhat arrogant (if you take it that way)..., mainly because they can back it up with the product they put on the field.

As a Buckeye fan, I know we work just as hard as Carthage does.  It's just harder for us to put the product together on the field because some years the Dawgs are just bigger, stronger, faster, and execute better than we do.

With a little fine tuning in what we do, we can definitely compete with Carthage every year, and even come out on top if we can play at a high level consistently, and get over the mental hurdle we seemed to have placed in front of us.

Dat dare is the troof!

• Like 3

Change of subject, I do love all of the color combinations we can do for both home and away.

I say my favorite home uniform is the all red from head to toe.  I like them all.

For the away uniform I love the all white from head to toe, but have always loved our traditional red helmet, white jersey with red pants.

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Change of subject, I do love all of the color combinations we can do for both home and away.

I say my favorite home uniform is the all red from head to toe.  I like them all.

For the away uniform I love the all white from head to toe, but have always loved our traditional red helmet, white jersey with red pants.

I have always liked Carthage’s uniforms. They always stand out.

• Like 1
  • Love 1