Who can give Carthage a game?

michaelmyers

20 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

From an outsider’s perspective, I think what BF79 is trying to say is the OC either tries to get too cute with the plays by being unpredictable, or he is dead set on a script of plays even if the defense is playing differently than expected.  

Against teams like SH and NL, it doesn’t matter what play Gilmer runs it will be successful.  Not so much vs teams like China Spring or Carthage.  It appears in those games that if plan A goes to hell, there is no adjustment to plan B.

They will be the first to tell you, the first 15 or so offensive plays are scripted regardless of what the defense is. They watch enough film to script those plays and will not change them even if the defense changes. Not sure why? Stump used to call the plays himself and adjust on the field. Perhaps they are so scripted and vanilla on offense because of the Soph QB? He can play the position, just seems like the play calling or lack of isn’t helping him.

7 minutes ago, SHillBuckeye said:

They will be the first to tell you, the first 15 or so offensive plays are scripted regardless of what the defense is. They watch enough film to script those plays and will not change them even if the defense changes. Not sure why? Stump used to call the plays himself and adjust on the field. Perhaps they are so scripted and vanilla on offense because of the Soph QB? He can play the position, just seems like the play calling or lack of isn’t helping him.

Surratt has said many times publicly that he has a 15-20 play script to start every game that he generally runs through before opening up the offense.  But he has also said he sometimes moves away from the script based on what his coaches in the press box see, the opposing defensive alignment, and what early play(s) work in the script.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Surratt has said many times publicly that he has a 15-20 play script to start every game that he generally runs through before opening up the offense.  But he has also said he sometimes moves away from the script based on what his coaches in the press box see, the opposing defensive alignment, and what early play(s) work in the script.

This is how you should operate, don’t be hard headed.

Scripted plays let’s the O C see what the opposing defensive coach does with certain formations and certain motion.   Of course, if the scripted play is a 40 yard pass, and you are 2 yards from scoring, that scripted play goes to the next possession. 
After the script, the O C has a “newer” way of attacking that his film study may or may not have showed. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

6+ years later, I felt like the more natural starting point for the streak was the beginning of the 2016 season vs the first game after 2 losses in district.   Either way 🤷‍♂️

Yes, whether winning at a 97.9% clip or a 96.0% clip, they are both amazing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TrumpisDump said:

I really wish Longview and Carthage would schedule a game so people would shut up. It'll make a good sale and also every week I see someone arguing about it on Fbook.

Nobody here has talked about it this week.  or last week.  or the week before that.  Thanks for bringing it up though.  😐

Edited by mikehoncho
  • Like 1
  • LOL! 1

19 hours ago, JBizzle said:

Listen, I get nervous before every game and I don't have a kid on the team.  I expect every team to give Carthage their best shot.  And I know that these are high school kids that can be off on any given day.

That being said, I also know what we have here.  I have seen a lot of football in my life, and what Carthage does here is very awesome.  The work that Scott and his coaches do every week is outstanding.  They put in long hours.  They start with these kids in 7th grade teaching them the system.  Carthage has talented kids who put in hard work also.  8 state championships in 15 years speaks for itself.

I am sorry that we aren't going to sit here and expect to lose to every team we play.  False humility is not a good trait.  Part of what's going on in Carthage is the expectation to win.  These kids think they can beat anyone they play.  That is not to be underestimated.

I think some of our crew is more likely to overestimate our talent than to be arrogant.

But yes, we think our kids are good and our coaches are good.  The goal is to play into December every season.  Just the way it is.

Yeah, I'm on the other end of the spectrum: I actually get annoyed with Carthage fans who try to poor-mouth the team. Y'all should be talking State every year! No question. 

Carthage has earned their arrogance. The fans should revel in it while they can. These kinds of eras are rare. Enjoy it! 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

24 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

Nobody here has talked about it this week.  or last week.  or the week before that.  Thanks for bringing it up though.  😐

Everyone on Smoaky has talked about at one time or another. I personally don’t want to see it. It is a loose loose situation for Longbiew if Carthage was to win. I like it just like it is. We have two giants in East Texas football, one in 5A and one in 4A. I would add Gilmer and Daingerfield and Newton in the class because of their history. 
Just my two cents worth. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Didn't we say the same thing last year?

I don’t remember if some said that last year or not, but I know myself, for one, was sounding the alarm on the offense from Week 1 and onward. It just wasn’t looking like usual Carthage offenses. 

Thankfully this year the offense is incredible and consistent while the defense is somehow more dominant than before while losing so many starters. Hopefully that all equals out to number 9!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I don’t remember if some said that last year or not, but I know myself, for one, was sounding the alarm on the offense from Week 1 and onward. It just wasn’t looking like usual Carthage offenses. 

Thankfully this year the offense is incredible and consistent while the defense is somehow more dominant than before while losing so many starters. Hopefully that all equals out to number 9!

No Mikehonco and I both talked about the Dawg offense was so young and the defense would have to carry the bulk of the load. Last year when China Spring was warming up before the game, I knew the defense would have to make big plays. The defense almost pulled it off to give the offense a shot, jumping over the line on field goal sealed the Dawgs loss. 
This year the offense grew up and I do mean grew up. They are big, strong, and very good on both pass and run blocking. 
The defense has totally blown everyone away. I think they are better than last year. Totally complete team on both sides of the ball this year.