Jump to content

Who can give Carthage a game?


michaelmyers
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

I think the coaching at Carthage makes all the difference.  They get things out of kids that other schools wouldn't.  It makes it seem like there's a huge talent gap that isn't real.

I agree the coaching staff is the greatest difference between Carthage and anywhere else in Texas.

However, like we’ve discussed a few weeks ago (this same topic), IMO, Carthage does have a notch better athletes across the board than many other schools.

I feel like you couple the horses we definitely do have with SS & Co and the results speak for themselves.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

I think the coaching at Carthage makes all the difference.  They get things out of kids that other schools wouldn't.  It makes it seem like there's a huge talent gap that isn't real.

This year the defense is a prime example - they fly to the football but not a single one can “fly”(100 track speed). 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

This year the defense is a prime example - they fly to the football but not a single one can “fly”(100 track speed). 

Also that fact that several of the kids on that side of the ball were on offense last season.  With the defense not returning a lot of starters, they moved these kids to the defense so that they had some varsity experience on D even though they weren't defensive players last year.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I agree the coaching staff is the greatest difference between Carthage and anywhere else in Texas.

However, like we’ve discussed a few weeks ago (this same topic), IMO, Carthage does have a notch better athletes across the board than many other schools.

I feel like you couple the horses we definitely do have with SS & Co and the results speak for themselves.

It's the holy trinity that makes the Dawgs magic.  

Good Athletes

Good coaching

Plenty of money.  

Hard to beat that combination

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In all seriousness, no 4A DII team will beat Carthage this year. State title #9. I think the team that can give them a competitive game is Silsbee. They can match Carthage skill wise (maybe slightly better) just not in the trenches. Particularly on the O-line. This is where Carthage would end up dominating in the end.

I don't see Cuero or Wimberly beating Silsbee. Bellville? Maybe but I think Silsbee will be region III champs.

I believe Silsbee is the 3rd best team in state behind Carthage and Gilmer. I just think Silsbee will match up better with Carthage than what Gilmer will do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I agree the coaching staff is the greatest difference between Carthage and anywhere else in Texas.

However, like we’ve discussed a few weeks ago (this same topic), IMO, Carthage does have a notch better athletes across the board than many other schools.

I feel like you couple the horses we definitely do have with SS & Co and the results speak for themselves.

I agree 💯! It’s the coaching! Jeff Traylor was the same way when he was at Gilmer. He could get more out of a kid than any other coach could. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

You put "Midlothian" with Argyle and Aledo?

It was off the top of my head dude.  Not like I was saying they are the same, but also not like Carthage donkey stomped Midlothian when they were in the same classification.  Both times were close games.  Yes, Midlothian would give Carthage a good pre-conference game and an even matchup.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Mojo1000 said:

I had a good laugh. Marshall and Kilgore are just as good. Arygle would be interesting because of their history.  Carthage has made a tremendous effort to get quality matchups. Gilmer PG . 

Might want to do some homework.  Midlothian (Heritage) definitely better and more consistent than Marshall.  No knocks for Kilgore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Everide2016 said:

Might want to do some homework.  Midlothian (Heritage) definitely better and more consistent than Marshall.  No knocks for Kilgore.

I didn’t say that. You have quality East Texas teams to choose from. Marshall is at least decent most of the time. Carthage has scheduled Pleasant Grove and Gilmer. They played a San Antonio team so it is not like teams are beating down the door to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

“Even win some..”. Argyle and Midlothian schools don’t want Carthage.  We’ve been there, done that and them being 5A now means nothing.

Having 5A next to your name doesn’t automatically mean your team is improved from when you were in 4A.

Apologies, I do get what you’re saying though, because they are competing well in their class/division.

Sorry, the “even win some” phrase got to me.

It may mean nothing for year after year average programs like those from El Paso or the Valley, but these schools actually develop and coach.  With them growing they have a larger pool of athletes to develop, so it does mean something with them.  That's no slight to Carthage, nobody does as much with what they have as Carthage.  

Yes, "even win some."  IMO it would likely be a 50/50 split with these larger division teams.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mojo1000 said:

I didn’t say that. You have quality East Texas teams to choose from. Marshall is at least decent most of the time. Carthage has scheduled Pleasant Grove and Gilmer. They played a San Antonio team so it is not like teams are beating down the door to play.

I think we're in agreement.  I know Marshall is "decent," but my original post said play some top tier teams in higher classification.  That leaves out Marshall, PG, and Gilmer.  I know it's hard to get those teams to play and it's a selfish want on my part because I would enjoy seeing Carthage beat some of those teams. The other side of it is why should Carthage bother since they're already going to continue winning titles and why should the higher classifications risk losing to Carthage.

No knock on PG or Gilmer, but they aren't going to give Carthage as good a test as those I've already mentioned.    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Mojo1000 said:

I didn’t say that. You have quality East Texas teams to choose from. Marshall is at least decent most of the time. Carthage has scheduled Pleasant Grove and Gilmer. They played a San Antonio team so it is not like teams are beating down the door to play.

They played and beat Crosby 5A that went to the demon finals. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It appears that Carthage is on a whole other level than anybody else in 4A this year.  Hopefully, we will at least be able to push them a little.  I certainly think we have "almost" as much overall talent, if not as much.  The trenches, where the game is won, is where Carthage has had a definitive advantage over Gilmer.  There's also that mental thing that makes it an uphill battle to beating Carthage, too.  If Gilmer can somehow build some confidence against Carthage by keeping the game within reach, I think it will bode well for future match ups.  I am a Gilmer homer, but at least I am realistic.  The game is still played on the field, and anything can happen in any given game.  You can't go into a game thinking you're going to get beat, or you will get beat.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

Might want to do some homework.  Midlothian (Heritage) definitely better and more consistent than Marshall.  No knocks for Kilgore.

That’s really a hard comparison. Considering the place of the two towns. It is a lot easier for Heritage to get spin offs than it would be for Marshall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, trashyhound said:

Total student transfers,  maybe not.  But transfers who happen to be good at football,  Carthage will be near the top of that list. 

If you are insinuating that, then please place Gilmer slightly above the 'Dawgs in that category because those titles probably wouldn't have happened without some VERY good "transfers" 👀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JBizzle said:

Also that fact that several of the kids on that side of the ball were on offense last season.  With the defense not returning a lot of starters, they moved these kids to the defense so that they had some varsity experience on D even though they weren't defensive players last year.

LB Viencint Cabada and safety Zsema’d Williams were RBs last year. DE/TE Kadadriane Bell played only (or mostly) offense last year, including some time at RB. That’s 3 of the 11 starters this year. Three other defensive starters (2 D-linemen and a LB) are sophomores.

In addition, reserve DL Zane Schumacher was an offensive lineman last year (at least for the most part).

Edited by BevBrownJr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, iRockNewbzz said:

If you are insinuating that, then please place Gilmer slightly above the 'Dawgs in that category because those titles probably wouldn't have happened without some VERY good "transfers" 👀

I'm not insinuating that Carthage does anything illegal,  just that winning draws in football families on a regular basis.

That said we all know that Gilmer recruits and cheats!!(just kidding buckeyes)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Everide2016 said:

It was off the top of my head dude.  Not like I was saying they are the same, but also not like Carthage donkey stomped Midlothian when they were in the same classification.  Both times were close games.  Yes, Midlothian would give Carthage a good pre-conference game and an even matchup.  

Understood. Midlothian has won nothing and is not in the same solar system with Aledo, Carthage or Argyle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...