Cushing vs. Mart

RETIREDFAN1

Cushing vs. Mart  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Area

This poll is closed to new votes

35 minutes ago, TbPanther said:

THIS is where programs like Mart, Carthage, Gilmer, etc succeed and others fail. The mentality of champions is that they CAN compete with ANYBODY, ANYTIME. The mentality that says you don't have the stuff to compete is a loser's mentality and is the number one cause of defeat.

Just my opinion.

So it’s mart mentality and not that they have better athletes every year? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TbPanther said:

THIS is where programs like Mart, Carthage, Gilmer, etc succeed and others fail. The mentality of champions is that they CAN compete with ANYBODY, ANYTIME. The mentality that says you don't have the stuff to compete is a loser's mentality and is the number one cause of defeat.

Just my opinion.

When did Mart begin this mentality? Five years ago? Ten? Fifty? 

You can have all the mentality in the world, but your line average 150 pounds you ain't mentality-ing the ball down the field. A great mentality doesn't mean squat when the opposing star player is a D-1 prospect with a sub-4.5 forty time. 

Now, yes, if you have two somewhat evenly-matched teams facing off, I'll always pick the team who plays more disciplined, focused, and aggressive football. Yes. The right mentality wins out 10 out of 10 times, all things being equal. 

But the machine in Mart has been a long time going. It's a mentality that has been built over years and years of development from within and without. It's not the sorta thing that you can just conjure up in 5-10 years by getting smoked in non-district play. 

Just my opinion. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

You can have all the mentality in the world, but your line average 150 pounds you ain't mentality-ing the ball down the field. A great mentality doesn't mean squat when the opposing star player is a D-1 prospect with a sub-4.5 forty time. 

Now, yes, if you have two somewhat evenly-matched teams facing off, I'll always pick the team who plays more disciplined, focused, and aggressive football. Yes. The right mentality wins out 10 out of 10 times, all things being equal. 

But the machine in Mart has been a long time going. It's a mentality that has been built over years and years of development from within and without. It's not the sorta thing that you can just conjure up in 5-10 years by getting smoked in non-district play. 

Just my opinion. 

Give em The ol forearm shiver... that'll mentality em for a min js.

• LOL! 2

6 hours ago, TbPanther said:

Just my opinion.

Genetics is the correct answer.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Just my opinion. 

I agree. You can out athlete sub par teams all day long, but when you meet someone who can at least hang with and compete with said athletes, that's where mentality,discipline,toughness,aggresiveness, etc. comes in. Tradition and history also have a huge play in things, if you've been there and done that and have proven yourself as a program, it almost can give you an edge on a team with better size and athletes as long as you play tough, disciplined, mistake free football. Mart and Cushing are just two very different worlds, but I hope Cushing can build off of what they have accomplished this season and turn it into long term success. The better the teams are, the better the football is, simple as that!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ramfanforever said:

Cushing has already gone where no other Cushing team has ever been.  And hopefully they go to the playoffs again next year hey don't draw Mart in the second round 

You can’t get 2nd in d11 . That’s what LL got the last 2 years 

4 hours ago, upullinmychain said:

But what if the play up and win?  Nobody is even remotely considering that possibility,even their own fan base for the most part..what if they go cardiac kids and pull off the miracle?   Oh what a day it would be tho 👏

I am a firm believer in no team is unbeatable! Just don't think this potential upset is very likely...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GATA18 said:

Well i mean DC shoulda been Alto correct...? Carlisle would be the ones squaring off against Mart but we all know that deal.

I guess but alto really should’ve been in d11 d1. If they were LL would’ve probably been in d11 instead of d12 

Edited by Lion1996

On 11/16/2022 at 8:52 AM, Lion1996 said:

So it’s mart mentality and not that they have better athletes every year? 

When a program has the “mentality “ the athletes in the school come out for the sports, participate and hope to keep the mentality 

33 minutes ago, Lion1996 said:

I guess but alto really should’ve been in d11 d1. If they were LL would’ve probably been in d11 instead of d12 

Which would've been district of doom for them, they lost to Shelbyville and Garrison. Just a bad deal for this year and next years seniors smh..

1 hour ago, Olduy said:

When a program has the “mentality “ the athletes in the school come out for the sports, participate and hope to keep the mentality 

Mentality matters but that’s not the only difference between Cushing program and marts 

• Like 2

I think you could make the argument that Cushing is the 4th best team in Region 3 along with Wortham.  Mart, Lovelady, and Carlisle are easily the top 3 and are a few notches above everyone else in the region.  I think Deweyville beats Jim Bowie and Cushing beat Deweyville by 22 earlier this year.  Mart probably wins the region IMO and may very well win big tomorrow, but Cushing has nothing to hang heads about if that's the outcome tomorrow, they've taken a huge step as a program this year to hopefully build on going forward.  Mart definately looks the part on film.

• Like 5

On 11/15/2022 at 11:39 AM, action10 said:

Hula, I agree. Bearkaks have learned how to win when expected but now need to learn how to step it up and search for ways to Win when not expected. I belive they will overcome and succeed. 

Looks like we will not make the game since real live tickets can not be purchased. We do Not make online purchases with our Debit cards. Best Wishes and Good Luck BearKats: Dr. George Washington Carver was fond of saying "Do the Very Best you Can with what you have and do it Right