What Fire Can Teach Us About Gun Violence In America

BarryLaverty

7 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

And note.....YOU said make it a law and YOU added only........should go back and read.........

I'm going by this:

make the King James Bible part of the core curriculum in K-12 education

Who sets the standards for "core curriculum"?

If you're talking about it not being a law, that's fine. But I would think that as soon as it was announced, it would be immediately challenged in court.

And why the King James Bible? Why not the New American Standard? Or New International Version? Or one written in the original languages?

And would you also be OK with teaching the Torah or the Quran as well? Buddhism Texts? Taoism?

Edited by Monte1076
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Monte1076 said:

I'm going by this:

Who sets the standards for "core curriculum"?

If you're talking about it not being a law, that's fine. But I would think that as soon as it was announced, it would be immediately challenged in court.

And why the King James Bible? Why not the New American Standard? Or New International Version? Or one written in the original languages?

And would you also be OK with teaching the Torah or the Quran as well? Buddhism Texts? Taoism?

SBOE sets curriculum.......

Courts need to be reigned back in to their Constitutionally restricted limits anyway........

King James would be a literary study as well.......nobody in those grade levels SPEAKS the original languages.........

No I would not.........

On 11/21/2022 at 6:30 AM, RETIREDFAN1 said:

SBOE sets curriculum.......

And they have to follow law, correct?

Courts need to be reigned back in to their Constitutionally restricted limits anyway........

True, but how would it not be challenged?

King James would be a literary study as well.......nobody in those grade levels SPEAKS the original languages.........

I don't know about Aramaic, but there are still people who speak Hebrew and Greek. I don't know how many there are in Texas and the United States, but I know at least two of those languages are still spoken.

No I would not.........

Why not? If it was a "literary study" as you said with the King James Bible?

On 11/15/2022 at 10:45 AM, BarryLaverty said:

America solves problems and faces crisis head on, when we want to...or at least we have before. 

(Washington Post)

U-Va. students were told to ‘run, hide, fight.’ Gen-Z deserves better.

Perspective by Petula Dvorak
Columnist
Updated November 14, 2022 at 4:23 p.m. EST|Published November 14, 2022 at 3:09 p.m. EST

The alert came late Sunday about an active shooter still at large in the Charlottesville area.

“RUN HIDE FIGHT,” the University of Virginia’s Emergency Management Department urged students and staff.

Fast, informative and written just for locals. Get The 7 DMV newsletter in your inbox every weekday morning.
Twitter erupted as people — including parents of U-Va. students — tried frantically to parse what was happening:

“Run hide fight? What?”

“I honestly can’t tell if this is real or not.”

“Very off putting.”

It’s part of the curriculum, America.

While too many parents — and politicians pretending to care about parents — have been busy conjuring manufactured crises over school curriculum, their children have been in training.

Kindergartners have been cosplaying their own slaughter as their parents focused on trying to ban books that said “gay.”

Millions of kids fear being gunned down at school. It's time for our nation to say 'enough.'

American students knew exactly what the “RUN HIDE FIGHT” order meant. It’s this generation’s “stop, drop and roll.”

It was developed by the FBI and is taught in schools and workplaces. U-Va. explains the slogan in detail with a six-minute video pasted below a message tracing the need for training back to a 2007 mass shooting at Virginia Tech that left 32 people dead.
Here’s a breakdown:

“RUN. When there is an active threat.”

“HIDE. If escape is not possible, hide.”

“FIGHT. Only as a last resort and if your life is in danger.”

“Stop, drop and roll” was born when America was in the throes of another crisis — fires. There were too many in the 1970s and the nation was moved to action.

“During the next hour there is a statistical likelihood that more than 300 destructive fires will rage somewhere in this Nation,” opened the report by the U.S. National Commission on Fire Prevention and Control.

In that 1973 paper, the commission declared that fires kill and injure thousands of Americans, and that as a leading cause of “accidental death, only motor vehicle accidents and falls rank higher.”

President Richard M. Nixon, reacting to this nationwide crisis, appointed that commission in June 1971 to create that report.

Two years later, the commission came up with a decisive study on fires and fire prevention — “America Burning.” The study said the public must be taught to roll someone to extinguish clothes that were on fire. That was because the commissioners spoke with burn units to learn that flammable fabrics were “a major cause of burns in children.”

By the 1980s, every kid in America plucking soggy marshmallows out of their bowl of Lucky Charms during Saturday morning cartoons was being taught to “stop, drop and roll” by Dick Van Dyke.

Like “run, hide, fight,” it was a mantra that taught kids how to confront man-made disasters.

But the fire report — and the nation — launched a united effort to fix the problem.

The commission tackled firefighter training, research, design and building safety. It urged the Consumer Product Safety Commission to address labeling and product safety and lawmakers to change building safety codes and standards because the solutions were so obvious.

A disaster restoration worker secures a home after a fire that killed three young girls in July 2021 in Hillcrest Heights, Md. (Katherine Frey/The Washington Post)
We were also aware of our shameful position in the world, when it came to fire.

“Appallingly, the richest and most technologically advanced nation in the world leads all the major industrialized countries in per capita deaths and property loss from fire,” the report stated.

America now lives with a good amount of fire control — building codes, fire doors, smoke alarms, office ceiling sprinklers. We still construct plenty of buildings, but they are safer.

You see where I’m going with this, right?

Fire didn’t have lobbyists or PACs. Lawmakers didn’t set fires in political ads. The nation got together to work on laws to change building codes and manufacturing standards. It’s why all those PJs have aggressive signage about their flame-resistant qualities.

And things got better.

By 2021, the nation had 3,800 civilian fire deaths, according to the National Fire Protection Association. That’s a third of the 1970s death toll, despite our nation’s growth by 100 million people since then. Fire damage in 2021 is estimated at $15.9 billion. The toll in 1971, adjusted for inflation, was equivalent to more than $800 billion.

What does this have to do with the nation’s devastating gunfire epidemic?

There have been nearly 600 mass shootings in America this year.

Gun culture terrorizes, even without a gun

While plans like “run, hide, fight” seek to curb bloodshed, they only add mental health scarring to the gunfire death toll.

Quick-thinking victims already in the line of fire can’t be expected to reverse our gun violence epidemic. We need to stop, think and legislate against these shameful numbers.

Let’s close with a slight change to the conclusion reached by the fire commission’s chairman, Richard Bland, in his 1973 letter to Nixon:

“We know our great Nation has the resources and technology presently available to lessen the destructive impact of [gun]fire. We believe a continuing Federal focus on the [gun]fire problem is a necessity. It is the earnest hope of the members of this Commission that this report will provide helpful guidelines for local, State, and national efforts to reduce the life and property loss by destructive [gun]fire in the United States.”

We’ve done this before, America.

Run hide fight is our corporate stance to an active shooter. Since firearms are not allowed at my job. Seems to be pretty common tactic. 

from Truth.

Guy knows his stuff

ffe3301

@ffe3301

·

Why aren't the recent shootings getting the media attention they normally would?
The narrative is incorrect.
The demographics are incorrect.
The motives are incorrect.

Understand one thing.
"Common sense" gun laws are by no means common sense.
Common sense is the logic that criminals don't follow laws be them "common sense" or not.

Gun laws are for one thing only.
To control law abiding, free thinking, independent citizens.

On 11/15/2022 at 11:40 AM, BarryLaverty said:

I think the point was how when we face problems as a unified nation, we solve them, but your utter bitterness and disparaging words, albeit coming from a meager, tiny brain, seem to suggest that you might have missed that. 

Maybe the Left should try harder to be unified instead of alienating the opposition