Tyler ISD Open?

TrumpisDump

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

ok. Talk in Tyler is that both are out the door.  i was little shocked when I heard that about Willis, but I guess we will see.

I think thats just talk...I mean things can always change but I spoke to Coach Willis today and if he's out its news to him

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

Coaching can make a big difference. Saw it when Thomas Brooks replaced Ratliff. So I guess we will see with the next coach. I think the talent is there to be better than what they were.  Not expecting state championships, but they should have been a playoff team.

Again, I don't think Forney, McKinney North, and etc are 30 to 40 points better than JT.  Watch JT subvarsity teams over the past few yrs blow out teams like North and Sherman and then a couple yrs later get beat at the varsity level.  I think the early morning practices don't help them and I think that has a big effect on things going on in the program. Also, in the past they had very experienced O-line coaches. The past few yrs that hasn't been the case.

Also what is the weight program like? I am not just talking about are they lifting I am asking do they have a good program! Lineman are built!! Outside looking in if the line isn't getting where it needs to be it would make one think the weight program isn't up to par..

• Like 1

I don't think JT would look to a small school guy. Tyler period. Small school wouldn't relate to any school in Tyler for that matter. Too political I think. But I could see a city coach coming in with a decent resume. I think JT is going to go away from the hometown guy (someone local) after Holmes and branch out to the city. It's just a matter of who it is. 

On 12/5/2022 at 8:34 PM, kingwolf said:

TISD seriously needs to go after Buck James at Bryant…dude just won 5th straight 7A title in Arkansas…played Longview close last year

That dude is a fantastic coach. Definitely hope he doesn't come to Tyler. But also would be interesting to see how the dynamics would work there. His situation in Bryant is so vastly different to what he would be taking over in Tyler.

16 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

That dude is a fantastic coach. Definitely hope he doesn't come to Tyler. But also would be interesting to see how the dynamics would work there. His situation in Bryant is so vastly different to what he would be taking over in Tyler.

How so?

2 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

How so?

Well I think importantly, Bryant is a one town team. The resources they’ve poured into that program is awesome. The entire community there has really bought into what he’s doing there at Bryant, I believe in a way that would be really tough to duplicate at Tyler. He even tells a story about how after their first state championship in 2018, every gas station in town dropped the gas prices to $2.12 to match their Be 212 slogan. I think also though, if we are being completely honest. He’s a great coach but sometimes not every place is a great fit. Tyler ISD from I’ve heard from posters on here comes with a lot of politics and you’ll always have to deal with Legacy and zoning stuff. He doesn’t have to deal with that stuff at Bryant, everyone has completely bought into what he’s preaching and he’s got a really good thing going on up there. 

• Thanks 2

A few questions that I know is? Would the new continue the Cujo persona in the playoffs? Will he try to change the color scheme to meet a true royal blue and not the dark blue that we are use to seeing. Like Ratliff did when he was at JT and the Logo. I think it was a lions face if I’m not mistaken. I do think that he was the only one that did that, but I could be wrong. 

56 minutes ago, collincountyfootball1 said:

Well I think importantly, Bryant is a one town team. The resources they’ve poured into that program is awesome. The entire community there has really bought into what he’s doing there at Bryant, I believe in a way that would be really tough to duplicate at Tyler. He even tells a story about how after their first state championship in 2018, every gas station in town dropped the gas prices to $2.12 to match their Be 212 slogan. I think also though, if we are being completely honest. He’s a great coach but sometimes not every place is a great fit. Tyler ISD from I’ve heard from posters on here comes with a lot of politics and you’ll always have to deal with Legacy and zoning stuff. He doesn’t have to deal with that stuff at Bryant, everyone has completely bought into what he’s preaching and he’s got a really good thing going on up there. 

That would be a lot of Coaches that are coming from a one horse town to a city with multiple schools. 

1 hour ago, VonG said:

Politics is everywhere. It's no different than any other place. The main problem with Tyler is that there are two many 🍽 at the table and not enough food to feed everyone.

Coming from a coaches kid, I know all too well about the politics. However, some places are much messier and more complex than others. In town like Bryant where he’s brought them more success than they could ever have imagined. His word is the gospel there and the community follows suit. Like you said a bunch of people at the table in Tyler. It all just plays into why it’s vastly different coaching job than where he’s at right now. Plus, he’s not a great a fit being an Arkansas guy all his life. I think Tyler should look to a younger coordinator maybe in DFW area to bring some energy back to the program. Hiring an older recycled coach doesn’t really bring the bump I think this program needs. Off the top of my mind, the SOC DC Kyle Ward would be a great fit at Tyler. Would he make the move out East is the question though, he’s a Oak Cliff guy. Played at Kimball.

There are names being mentioned on this forum, but not sure if they make sense.  No reason for Bryant coach to come here unless he has ties to this area. He is in a much better situation and pay is good.  Also, DFW or any large metro area coaches will probably not stay either. Again, I say we look east to Louisiana. Very good coaches there, and the pay would be 2 to 3 times the salary they currently make.  So that would be more incentive to stick around. Besides, it has worked out for a few schools in this area.

Edited by JTFAN99
  • Like 1