Tyler ISD Open?

TrumpisDump

3 hours ago, LionHated said:

Totally agree with both points. This is true and it’s been true for possibly the past 25 years or more. I’ve always seen JT as more Dallas Carter, Skyline than say ummm…Im not even sure. I totally get what he’s saying though. It’s just kind of difficult to admit, when the other hs 10 minutes away actually has resembled a suburban school for so long. 

JT is the ONLY HS in east Texas that has essentially no white students. Every east Texas HS school has around 20 percent or greater. JT has 2 percent.

You take one glance in the stands at a  Dallas Carter game and at a JT game, and outside of the colors, the crowd looks identical. 85 to 90 percent Black. All of the support is black (with some Hispanic support) The school culture and environment has similar characteristics inner city school. Most of the students are from low income families.   I think I read that 90 percent of the students qualify for free or reduced lunch. I think it may 1 or 2 schools in East Texas with a higher percent.

JT is probably the only school in East Tx with a show band  I haven't seen another East TX school at a Battle of the Band. (maybe Alto is the only other)

I only brought this up because someone said JT and CH are similar. I was stating how they aren't. 

Edited by JTFAN99
  • Like 1

I agree Tyler stands on it's own merit. Always has. I'm a ask you this question. Is Tyler closer to being like Dallas, Houston, Austin, and etc. Or closer to being like Mesquite, Garland, Mansfield, and etc. The only difference between Tyler and those suburbs is that Tyler stands on it's own two feet. It's located in no mans land. Other than that it resembles a suburb more than a major city.

55 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

JT is the ONLY HS in east Texas that has essentially no white students. Every east Texas HS school has around 20 percent or greater. JT has 2 percent.

You take one glance in the stands at a  Dallas Carter game and at a JT game, and outside of the colors, the crowd looks identical. 85 to 90 percent Black. All of the support is black (with some Hispanic support) The school culture and environment has similar characteristics inner city school. Most of the students are from low income families.   I think I read that 90 percent of the students qualify for free or reduced lunch. I think it may 1 or 2 schools in East Texas with a higher percent.

JT is probably the only school in East Tx with a show band  I haven't seen another East TX school at a Battle of the Band. (maybe Alto is the only other)

I only brought this up because someone said JT and CH are similar. I was stating how they aren't. 

Those two are the only two in East Texas. You have to go into southeast Texas to find more around the Beaumont Port Arthur area. Tyler High is a hybrid show/corps band. They are only show in the stands and in the playoffs. For UIL they are a Corps band. I don’t think TISD would let TH go full show style.

On 12/22/2022 at 10:30 PM, VonG said:

I agree Tyler stands on it's own merit. Always has. I'm a ask you this question. Is Tyler closer to being like Dallas, Houston, Austin, and etc. Or closer to being like Mesquite, Garland, Mansfield, and etc. The only difference between Tyler and those suburbs is that Tyler stands on it's own two feet. It's located in no mans land. Other than that it resembles a suburb more than a major city.

Neither to me. Maybe South Tyler has characteristics of a suburb, but as a whole I compare Tyler to like a Waco, Abilene, Lubbock. 

Mesquite, Garland, etc are just extentions of Dallas imo.  Half the time you can't tell if you are in Mesquite, Garland or Dallas.  Just look at sports teams. Dallas Cowboys don't play in "Dallas", Dallas MLS team don't play in Dallas, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder why he told Matt Stepp he wasn't leaving. I know some kids on the team and they were told last semester he was leaving whether it was by resignation, retirement, or whatever. I heard he was gone before we heard anything about Coach Holmes resignation. It is going to be hard to replace two head coaches and some of the staff. I really don't know who would be interested in coming to Tyler. You have so many options to coach in the state of Texas. 

6 minutes ago, VonG said:

I wonder if he was holding out so someone on the staff could get it. Man I hope not. I know they are going to post it. With so many schools looking for coaches you might not get many highly qualified candidates.

But it is this way every season after the season ends.

1 hour ago, VonG said:

I wonder why he told Matt Stepp he wasn't leaving. I know some kids on the team and they were told last semester he was leaving whether it was by resignation, retirement, or whatever. I heard he was gone before we heard anything about Coach Holmes resignation. It is going to be hard to replace two head coaches and some of the staff. I really don't know who would be interested in coming to Tyler. You have so many options to coach in the state of Texas. 

streets don't lie...lol  

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

streets don't lie...lol  

3 hours ago, VonG said:

My guess he was trying to save face.

Timing is everything. Many HCs who are either asked to leave OR they've had enough have to look at their TRS retirement,  study their options, negotiate with the ISD on when their contracts will be paid through, etc... BEFORE they commit to retiring or leaving. As soon as the season is over, people want changes and they want them now -- it doesn't work that way. There are a lot of moving parts to "retiring" in Texas. For example, if a coach retires and draws his / her TRS, they cannot work for another state-funded school district in ANY capacity (even a teacher) or they get a permanent reduction of their TRS. They must sit out 12 months.

That's just one example of the moving parts . . . just because the season ends and everyone wants to know immediately about the HC, it isn't always that simple. They have families, wife / husband income may be affected, etc... when @MattStepp asked him that, he probably had no idea yet until things like this were figured out. No idea "what he told kids" but some of these exits can take a little more than a few days.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1