UPDATE: White Oak hires Michael Ludlow (Robinson)

Racer55

The prevailing thought is that WOISD will be going to go "outside" according to a "source" I'm familiar with in looking for Coach Iske's replacement.

While that certainly isn't "etched in stone" it's currently what's more than likely to transpire and that some staff may very well be retained as well !

R. J.

Jack Stallard article in LNJ:

Kris Iske, who led White Oak football to a pair of 10-win seasons and won 51 games overall at the school in nine seasons, has announced his retirement.

Iske said he will retire at the end of the 2022-23 school year.

White Oak finished 3-7 this past season after bouncing back from an 0-10 campaign in 2019 to win five games in 2020 (5-3) and 2021 (5-5).

Hired in 2014, Iske led the Roughnecks to a 7-4 record in his first season followed by seasons of 10-3 in 2015, 10-2 in 2016, 7-4 in 2017 and 4-6 in 2018.

He had an overall record of 51-44 at White Oak and will retire with a 75-71 coaching record in his career.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 11:26 AM, Houston veer said:

All of that is on the money. WO needs an off season and weight program that the kids get excited to participate in. The kids absolutely hate the off season and weight program here, and they’re tired of tired old men who couldn’t motivate a dog to bark putting them down and being negative. The 2 most athletic juniors don’t even play football anymore, and one of them was a 2-way starter as a sophomore. They want nothing to do with Iske and Burkes. Coaches should be positive and motivate kids to do more and be better, not use smarta** remarks as primary coaching tools. They have ruined WO football for the next couple of years. Maybe the incoming 7th graders will have a chance if a culture change happens now.

The kids not wanting to play has little to do with the coaches and more to do with the bologna they are getting fed from their home life (outside of school). The mentality of kids is getting weaker and weaker and until there is a shift at home and in the community, success with be a dream. 

You couldn't ask for a better superintendent to assist through this hiring process. One that has had success and struggles as a head coach/AD. Mr./Coach Gray is top notch and will have an ample amount of insight for the board to chew on. 

**P.S. when did baseball players come to the conclusion that only playing baseball was a good idea? I bet if the football team was having success they would without a doubt be playing football too... Don't want these type of athletes on your team anyways.

Good Luck WO on the hiring process! I would like to see y'all be competitive again.

13 minutes ago, Play4Christ said:

The kids not wanting to play has little to do with the coaches and more to do with the bologna they are getting fed from their home life (outside of school). The mentality of kids is getting weaker and weaker and until there is a shift at home and in the community, success with be a dream. 

You couldn't ask for a better superintendent to assist through this hiring process. One that has had success and struggles as a head coach/AD. Mr./Coach Gray is top notch and will have an ample amount of insight for the board to chew on. 

**P.S. when did baseball players come to the conclusion that only playing baseball was a good idea? I bet if the football team was having success they would without a doubt be playing football too... Don't want these type of athletes on your team anyways.

Good Luck WO on the hiring process! I would like to see y'all be competitive again.

Mr Gray went 3-17 as a HC.

2002  Simms Bowie              1-9-0
2003  Simms Bowie              2-8-0

I’m sure he has some insight but IMO we need the insight of someone like 7x state champion coach Todd Dodge to guide the board in the right move. Need to do what PNG did or something similar. 

https://kfdm.com/amp/news/local/pn-g-hires-legendary-coach-todd-dodge-as-a-consultant-in-search-for-new-football-coach

https://www.12newsnow.com/amp/article/sports/high-school/hs-football/jeff-joseph-hired-as-the-next-head-football-coach-at-port-neches-groves/502-a523528d-c89d-4940-af9a-39ee64939284

24 minutes ago, Racer55 said:

Mr Gray went 3-17 as a HC.

2002  Simms Bowie              1-9-0
2003  Simms Bowie              2-8-0

I’m sure he has some insight but IMO we need the insight of someone like 7x state champion coach Todd Dodge to guide the board in the right move. Need to do what PNG did or something similar. 

https://kfdm.com/amp/news/local/pn-g-hires-legendary-coach-todd-dodge-as-a-consultant-in-search-for-new-football-coach

https://www.12newsnow.com/amp/article/sports/high-school/hs-football/jeff-joseph-hired-as-the-next-head-football-coach-at-port-neches-groves/502-a523528d-c89d-4940-af9a-39ee64939284

Valid point... He has coached other that Simms Bowie but maybe not as a HC. I just wanted to bring to the forefront that WO Superintendent is a former coach. Beats the alternative of someone being ignorant to the football world in the big seat.

The odds of getting assistance from a high caliber person like you mentioned would also cost $$$. Those services aren't free and the board has to approve it. In my opinion, the board has to be open to doing what is best for the program, not what is best for their child (if they have children in the program). 

This will be interesting to follow...

2 minutes ago, oldhornet said:

The AD coaching job at WO pays well

If a school splits the the AD job between an athletic director and girls coordinator does that affect the AD's pay since he is basically only doing half the job or do schools usually just tack on another administrator salary for the girls coordinator?

Personally, I wouldn't think it is necessary to have an AD and girls coordinator at a 3A or below school.  Seems like a one person job to me especially if they don't have any classroom duties.

11 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

This job is posted as “Possible AD/Assistant AD”…. Interesting. 

That is interesting.  Seems to me that would definitely limit the pool of candidates. 

@Racer55 who do you think would be the AD if it's not the football coach?  

I always thought "HFC/AD" stood for "Head Football Coach and Athletic Director".  Could it possibly stand for "Head Fishing Coach and Athletic Director"?  The Tatum and GW guys are going to be all over this!

This isn't looking good racer but you've fought them off before...lol

3 minutes ago, Sportsjunkiee said:

That is interesting.  Seems to me that would definitely limit the pool of candidates. 

@Racer55 who do you think would be the AD if it's not the football coach?  

I always thought "HFC/AD" stood for "Head Football Coach and Athletic Director".  Could it possibly stand for "Head Fishing Coach and Athletic Director"?  The Tatum and GW guys are going to be all over this!

This isn't looking good racer but you've fought them off before...lol

Kinda busy right now, but let’s just say I and some others are not Gray fans. Rumor has it he is retiring as well although it hasn’t been confirmed. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 10:40 AM, Play4Christ said:

Valid point... He has coached other that Simms Bowie but maybe not as a HC. I just wanted to bring to the forefront that WO Superintendent is a former coach. Beats the alternative of someone being ignorant to the football world in the big seat.

The odds of getting assistance from a high caliber person like you mentioned would also cost $$$. Those services aren't free and the board has to approve it. In my opinion, the board has to be open to doing what is best for the program, not what is best for their child (if they have children in the program). 

This will be interesting to follow...

Not many people that I would want helping in a coach search other than coach gray. He has all the kids at heart- not a few of them.  Using his head coaching record as a guide is totally ridiculous- like saying a person who never played baseball can’t coach baseball. Me Gray is a good judge of human beings. After all ,choosing a new head coach  is just a crapshoot anyway. Win one place- fall flat at another place, too many variables. Board members are the ones who need to stay out of a coaching search because of personal agendas.

22 hours ago, Houston veer said:

And how “Christlike” to attack kids’ character.  Impressive.

They didn't call any kids by name or put anyone in the spotlight. I don't see any actual attack on kids or their character.........it was more directed towards the parents. Show me on the doll where the words hurt you. 🧍‍♀️

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

Just dropping in to 🥄 the 🍵.

I saw where the listing said Possible AD/Assistant AD." They gonna make the Volleyball coach the AD and try to hire a football coach to be the Assistant AD lol. Could you imagine that applicant list? 

Burt Jackson - Current 2nd grade PE coach at Leverett's Chapel

Dan "The Man" LaFouche - Current JV Tennis coach at Homa High school(Louisiana)

Sister Betty Lou Sipes - Current 8th grade Badminton coach at Hope Christian Academy

Derek Jones - Currently resides in Easton, Tx

Rick "Sticky Ricky" Rhoades - Currently retired, Overall record of 6-93-1 in the state of Deleware. 

• LOL! 1

8 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

Just dropping in to 🥄 the 🍵.

I saw where the listing said Possible AD/Assistant AD." They gonna make the Volleyball coach the AD and try to hire a football coach to be the Assistant AD lol. Could you imagine that applicant list? 

Burt Jackson - Current 2nd grade PE coach at Leverett's Chapel

Dan "The Man" LaFouche - Current JV Tennis coach at Homa High school(Louisiana)

Sister Betty Lou Sipes - Current 8th grade Badminton coach at Hope Christian Academy

Derek Jones - Currently resides in Easton, Tx

Rick "Sticky Ricky" Rhoades - Currently retired, Overall record of 6-93-1 in the state of Deleware. 

Umm sir,sister Betty has a mean backhand tho..js 

4 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

Umm sir,sister Betty has a mean backhand tho..js 

And Ole Sticky Ricky is the mastermind that created the Broken Wing(Fat Hawk) offense. It was the 4th offense Gladewater tried this year if you can remember back to week 5 or 6. 

3 hours ago, Eagle8 said:

And Ole Sticky Ricky is the mastermind that created the Broken Wing(Fat Hawk) offense. It was the 4th offense Gladewater tried this year if you can remember back to week 5 or 6. 

And word is, Derek Jones worked up some great pass plays while bass fishing on Lake Cherokee. Tru storie!

3 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

And word is, Derek Jones worked up some great pass plays while bass fishing on Lake Cherokee. Tru storie!

I seent it......its a private Lake but I know somebody and he knows somebody and we was both fishin with them somebodies in their boats.....in different boats that is.....fishin at the same hole, though, ya see? He was sittin in the back of the boat scribbling and giggling while i's in the front of the other boat ripping some white perch out the water. Tru storie. I swear on my aunt Becky's sister's cousin's boyfriend's baby momma, it's the truth. Wait....it may have been cousin's sister's instead of sister's cousin's but that don't make no nevermind......it's true.