RIP Coach Wayne Gandy

trueblue82

Legendary football coach Wayne Gandy passed away this morning. Gandy is the winningest Head Football Coach in the history of Joaquin High School, amassing a record of 97-46 from 2002-2014. The signature season was an 11-3 mark and a trip to the state semifinals in 2009. Under Gandy, the Rams made 11 trips to the state playoffs, winning 4 district titles and two regional championships. He is survived by his wife Cindy, his three sons, all football coaches, Brian, Bradley and Patrick, and two grandchildren. A memorial service will be held on Monday, November 21st at Watson and Sons Funeral Home in Center. 

On a personal note, as a football fan, I enjoy the opportunity to visit with football coaches. I’ve had the opportunity over the years to sit down and talk at length with coaches from all of the schools in Shelby County. Coach Gandy was always great to sit down and visit with, and he always gave great post-game interviews, win or lose. He will be truly missed. 

• Love 5
  • Sad 5

My heart is absolutely broken for Coach Brian Coach Bradley and Coach Patrick (That last one still doesn't seem right saying) and the rest of the Gandy family. They lost an absolutely amazing father, grandfather and husband. I take much of what Coach Gandy taught me and I still use it to this day at 29 and I've instilled much of it into my own 2 sons and daughter. To Joaquin he was more than just a Coach he became the embodiment of our program and even today his fingerprints are all over that thing. I hope finally Joaquin ISD will do what should have been done the second he was no longer Head Coach and remove the Ram part of Ram Stadium and Replace it with the word Gandy. Rest in Peace Coach I know a few guys waiting for you up there. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lambo said:

My heart is absolutely broken for Coach Brian Coach Bradley and Coach Patrick (That last one still doesn't seem right saying) and the rest of the Gandy family. They lost an absolutely amazing father, grandfather and husband. I take much of what Coach Gandy taught me and I still use it to this day at 29 and I've instilled much of it into my own 2 sons and daughter. To Joaquin he was more than just a Coach he became the embodiment of our program and even today his fingerprints are all over that thing. I hope finally Joaquin ISD will do what should have been done the second he was no longer Head Coach and remove the Ram part of Ram Stadium and Replace it with the word Gandy. Rest in Peace Coach I know a few guys waiting for you up there. 

I never met him, but he sounds like an amazing guy and ball coach.. His sons Bradley and Brian are class acts, great guys and coaches, I'm sure Patrick is as well! Where is Bradley nowadays..? Pretty sure he went to SA then to DF when he left CC..

33 minutes ago, GATA18 said:

I never met him, but he sounds like an amazing guy and ball coach.. His sons Bradley and Brian are class acts, great guys and coaches, I'm sure Patrick is as well! Where is Bradley nowadays..? Pretty sure he went to SA then to DF when he left CC..

Last I heard was he was at Tatum but I think that was 2019? Maybe 2020. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Legendary football coach Wayne Gandy passed away this morning. Gandy is the winningest Head Football Coach in the history of Joaquin High School, amassing a record of 97-46 from 2002-2014. The signature season was an 11-3 mark and a trip to the state semifinals in 2009. Under Gandy, the Rams made 11 trips to the state playoffs, winning 4 district titles and two regional championships. He is survived by his wife Cindy, his three sons, all football coaches, Brian, Bradley and Patrick, and two grandchildren. A memorial service will be held on Monday, November 21st at Watson and Sons Funeral Home in Center. 

On a personal note, as a football fan, I enjoy the opportunity to visit with football coaches. I’ve had the opportunity over the years to sit down and talk at length with coaches from all of the schools in Shelby County. Coach Gandy was always great to sit down and visit with, and he always gave great post-game interviews, win or lose. He will be truly missed. 

This is so difficult to deal with and I had a good relationship with Coach as well. He built a strong program at Joaquin that Coach Lawson has extended and prayers to the Gandy family and Joaquin community.

• Like 1
  • Love 1