Out of Bounds

Everide2016

I've noticed over the years and watching a playoff game last night... it seems our kids run out of bound prior to contact more than ever and with increasing frequency.  Several plays last night the ball carrier could have had another 3-5 yards, or perhaps breaks the tackle and goes for a long gain, but ran out of bounds instead.  Is this 1) coached in order to avoid injury; 2) they see college and pros doing it, so they do it; 3) it's always been that way?  

3 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

I've noticed over the years and watching a playoff game last night... it seems our kids run out of bound prior to contact more than ever and with increasing frequency.  Several plays last night the ball carrier could have had another 3-5 yards, or perhaps breaks the tackle and goes for a long gain, but ran out of bounds instead.  Is this 1) coached in order to avoid injury; 2) they see college and pros doing it, so they do it; 3) it's always been that way?  

I don't necessarily know if it is being coached or what, I do know that the general level of toughness in football as a whole is rapidly declining... The HS level is about the only one left with any bit of toughness and grit left and even it's rapidly declining... sad to see that is for sure.

1 minute ago, JBizzle said:

Think it depends on the kid and the team.  I'm sure some coaches tell their QB's to get out of bounds or get down until they are at a point in the game that its necessary.

That I can understand.  Pointless to lose a "key" player to injury for a few extra yards.  It does seem like @GATA18 said, the general level of toughness has declined.  I know it's very prevalent in college ball.  I've come to view the college kid as not wanting to get injured and ruin their chance at the next level.

2 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

That I can understand.  Pointless to lose a "key" player to injury for a few extra yards.  It does seem like @GATA18 said, the general level of toughness has declined.  I know it's very prevalent in college ball.  I've come to view the college kid as not wanting to get injured and ruin their chance at the next level.

Yeah, plus I know a lot of coaches probably also worry about ball security while fighting for yardage.  Seems to be a lot of fumbles at that time.

But, you guys are correct, I think in general it's just something that kids are doing.

26 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

They are being taught to run out of bounds while moving forward.  It can easily draw a 15 yard late hit penalty and if you cut it back in, you run the risk of a strip fumble if defenders are there.

Interesting point and I have noticed the same. But we've lost 3 backup RB's in our rotation this year. Our starter will run out of bounds instead of taking a hit to maybe get 2 or 3 more yards. At this point, I don't blame him just like I don't blame Reuben Sandwich Ownes for always running out of bounds and avoiding contact. At this point he's preserving millions of dollars by running out of bounds and avoiding big hits. He's not a battering ram RB anyway, he's more finesse

• Like 1

I mean I'm an old school wing T guy. Fight for every inch you can get, but there are of course like you guys stated pros and cons to both. I do think the wide growth of the spread and pro style offenses has a lot to do with it as well, QB scrambles, Out routes, etc. everything goes to the outside of the field. Very few power run up the gut teams left even at the HS level, and pretty much none whatsoever at the college level unless you count Army and Navy. I hope the very few tough wing and slot T programs that are still out there keep pounding at it! But basically all in all your vast majority of kids out there running these spread teams are watching the big guys play on saturdays, and incorporating that into how they play.. Not to mention a lot of coaches are practically coaching college style offenses with the growth of all this wide open spread playbooks.

4 hours ago, GATA18 said:

I don't necessarily know if it is being coached or what, I do know that the general level of toughness in football as a whole is rapidly declining... The HS level is about the only one left with any bit of toughness and grit left and even it's rapidly declining... sad to see that is for sure.

Level of toughness declined with the rise in the running of the spread. Connected regardless of what many coaches say.

• LOL! 1

Toughness went out the window when they outlawed hammer shots to the head by corner backs and ear holeing running backs..touch a qb above the belly button or below the thigh pads and add 15 to the play?.I mean dang you can't even tape a roll of quarters in your glove anymore,what has happened to the blood sport I grew up playing?  Can't thumb gouge in the pile anymore and for sure can't wrench on an ankle and God forbid if you naw on a ankle once in awhile 👀

• LOL! 4

9 minutes ago, Destry said:

Level of toughness declined with the rise in the running of the spread. Connected regardless of what many coaches say.

In some situations, yes, but we ran a spread 2 years ago and we had a kid that would absolutely run you over, He ran TO contact and just punished people. SO good at breaking tackles. Never shied away from contact. It's not always true, but I see your point. 

8 minutes ago, Destry said:

I most definitely agree. When your O line's first step majority of the time is back, your not playing physical football. And it started at the college level and has just trickled down to HS.. Complete different world than it used to be.

5 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

Toughness went out the window when they outlawed hammer shots to the head by corner backs and ear holeing running backs..touch a qb above the belly button or below the thigh pads and add 15 to the play?.I mean dang you can't even tape a roll of quarters in your glove anymore,what has happened to the blood sport I grew up playing?  Can't thumb gouge in the pile anymore and for sure can't wrench on an ankle and God forbid if you naw on a ankle once in awhile 👀

They've just about completely outlawed cut blocks as well...

• LOL! 1

19 minutes ago, LetsGoEagles said:

In some situations, yes, but we ran a spread 2 years ago and we had a kid that would absolutely run you over, He ran TO contact and just punished people. SO good at breaking tackles. Never shied away from contact. It's not always true, but I see your point. 

Jenkins was on another level

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GATA18 said:

I most definitely agree. When your O line's first step majority of the time is back, your not playing physical football. And it started at the college level and has just trickled down to HS.. Complete different world than it used to be.

Amen and amen!