5A D1 R2 Semi-Final: Longview vs Port Arthur Memorial

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (12-0) vs Port Arthur Memorial Titans (11-1)  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Port Arthur Memorial in a close one
    • Port Arthur Memorial in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/26/2022 at 01:00 AM

5 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

A fan of pa memorial claims they were missing thier whole  starting offense cause of the flu that week 🤔🤷 that district just sounds delusional to me  we shall see 

It wasn't the whole starting offense but they were without several starters. They still should have one that game going away though.

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

The injuries are my biggest worry, outside of their athletic QB that can move move and move some more.

In terms of "how we've played the last two weeks," I don't think we've play bad by any stretch of the imagination. Crosby took their best shot in the first quarter, like most teams do against us. McNorth did it, Forney did it. Lancaster did it, Marshall did it. We dominated that game. The only difference was it was rainy, cold and it made the night drag and drag and drag.

Tonight, look...we are the better team. Lone Star got some deep balls on us. They do what King is afraid to do....give Jalen a shot to make a play. Their big time receiver made a couple really nice plays. But at the end of the day, almost all of their drives were extended simply due to penalties. Some were legit, some weren't. but I don't think we played bad by any stretch of the imagination. Could we be having a different conversion if we don't make the interception early in the third? Perhaps. But it happened, and it snowballed on them and we dominated the rest of the way.

Not realizing how mixed up our O line was explains some of the false start calls we got. I still don't think the Hale penalty was a penalty by any stretch of the imagination. Tha team, much like Crosby, flopped all over and the refs bit hard.

PAM is a solid team, but one we should be beating imo. I don't think we'll be facing anywhere near the line play that we did against LS until we get the chance, hopefully, to play against Aledo.

Thankfully looking like the weather will be amazing on Friday night in Lufkin.

Three things in this game and you stated two - 1. injuries, 2. PAM QB

The third is what we have talked about before and what I mentioned as how we played the last two weeks.  It is the play calling. They are not setting Allen up to be successful. Someone said it best last week - start off short/intermediate and let him get in rhythm. If he does that, his deep balls are always better. If they had a more versatile short passing game I don't think last night would have been as hard in the first half. The team themselves are playing hard for the majority of the game.  They have to quit coming out flat and making some stupid penalties.

19 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

That’s a big problem for them every year. I’ve always considered them one of the most undisciplined teams in the state. Some of their fan base has too. Idk how many years they’ve fell short just off penalties, turnovers, etc. 

Very talented team and program...just don't always put it together consistently. Reminds me of the old school Lancaster and Dallas Carter teams

Edited by kingwolf
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ANTI said:

PAM, by the eye, looked marginally better than Crosby. 

The only difference is PAM is pretty talented at the QB position, little more size in the trenches...but they really had trouble penatrating Wakeland's OL last night.

This is a team that beat McNorth 48-41 in the 1st round.

We may give up some plays here and there defensively, but stopping us should be a huge task for them. Should be a multi TD win for us.

Also, in the short time that I watched them last night, which was after our game, PAM had a ton of penalties thrown on them....which has been a big problem for them this season.

Every single Qb Longview has faced this year has been really good. Outside of Marshall Qb who I didn't was good at all. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, gtee2 said:

Wasn't Crosby just as athletic as PA? 

I was thinking the same thing and think PA is overall more athletic.  I think PA, Crosby, and KWP where the most athletic in the district. 07 gave us a pretty good picture of 8-5A early on I have followed them pretty close. If there is as big a gap talent wise between LV and PA as LV and Crosby, this game will get ugly.

23 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Not to mention all of the good backs in our district. 

Asking specifically if he is above average or not.  When facing the kind of QB they have, really good RB makes it a heck of a lot harder to defend than an average RB who LV would blow up.

think West mesquite RB vs Lufkins 

Edited by kingwolf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kingwolf said:

I was thinking the same thing and think PA is overall more athletic.  I think PA, Crosby, and KWP where the most athletic in the district. 07 gave us a pretty good picture of 8-5A early on I have followed them pretty close. If there is as big a gap talent wise between LV and PA as LV and Crosby, this game will get ugly.

I believe so too. If Longview can complete basic pass/catch scenarios they will score half a hundred

• Like 4

@ANTI Do you think the PAM RB is better than LS? or Lancaster RBs?

Well, Lancaster had one of the better backfields in the state. Poor utilization though or in our case, zero utilization.

LS had the better RB....but luckily for us...our district was full of RBs. Shut every one of them down too.

To your point though, none of them had the QB that we'll see Friday....except maybe McNorth whom PAM beat 48-41 in Rd one.

Edited by ANTI

Very talented team and program...just don't always put it together consistently. Reminds me of the old school Lancaster and Dallas Carter teams

They're not as good, but essentially when you see them Friday, you'll think of them as a baby Westfield.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I'm still baffled by how PAM lost to Baytown freakin Lee.

I'm not, one thing everyone needs to learn about PAM is that you can throw common opponents and their scores out of the window. PAM will forever play up or down to the competition. That's what happens when you have a ton of speed and talent but mediocre coaching and the tendency to be undisciplined. This game sort of reminds me of the Temple playoff game a few years back. PAM had them on the ropes but lost a heart breaker. That Temple team ended up making state but lost. I think this game ends up much closer than what most people think is all I'm saying.

• Like 1