5A D1 R2 Semi-Final: Longview vs Port Arthur Memorial

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (12-0) vs Port Arthur Memorial Titans (11-1)  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Port Arthur Memorial in a close one
    • Port Arthur Memorial in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/26/2022 at 01:00 AM

3 minutes ago, Goatboy said:

I call it a plight for fans who cannot physically get to the games and paid their money expecting to receive a professional quality product in return.  Instead they get a 9 year old girl manning a cell phone.  I honestly don't care about the ton of other games I may get to watch.  I paid to watch my team.  That was not a fair exchange for the money that we paid. I sure don't call that a luxury. 

This is another common misperception....you aren't dealing with professionals doing this...these are people with day jobs who do this on the side, some as a hobby...the reason a teenager ran the camera is because the cameraperson just decided to not show up....

Its a total crap shoot dealing with subcontractors...Just like in real life if you hire a subcontractor for a job...some are amazing, some arent...and even the amazing ones have life circumstances that derail things last minute 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

This is another common misperception....you aren't dealing with professionals doing this...these are people with day jobs who do this on the side, some as a hobby...the reason a teenager ran the camera is because the cameraperson just decided to not show up....

Its a total crap shoot dealing with subcontractors...Just like in real life if you hire a subcontractor for a job...some are amazing, some arent...and even the amazing ones have life circumstances that derail things last minute 

If they're taking money for it, they're professionals by definition. 

If they're not, then that at least explains the subpar quality and makes me think even less of the UIL taking volunteers and making money on their work. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

If they're taking money for it, they're professionals by definition. 

If they're not, then that at least explains the subpar quality and makes me think even less of the UIL taking volunteers and making money on their work. 

My definition of professional is doing it as a full time job..might not be the true definition of professional but its how I view these guys...I'm not a professional journalist for instance...I'm a contractor...same with the guys doing these games...they get paid but it's definitely not their career 

Edited by MattStepp

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

My definition of professional is doing it as a full time job..might not be the true definition of professional but its how I view these guys...I'm not a professional journalist for instance...I'm a contractor...same with the guys doing these games...they get paid but it's definitely not their career 

Everything makes more sense then lol

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Everything makes more sense then lol

I think people vastly overrate how much money is in TXHSFB....there are very few people who can make a full-time living doing TXHSFB from a media perspecitve...its mostly a labor of love for most or a side income

17 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

I think people vastly overrate how much money is in TXHSFB....there are very few people who can make a full-time living doing TXHSFB from a media perspecitve...its mostly a labor of love for most or a side income

That’s is a very true statement.  I can’t think of a single media guy that isn’t doing other levels/sports or another industry altogether to supplement.  

2 hours ago, LoboBooster73 said:

If a subcontractor is used and doesn’t show up as contracted to do, then that subcontractor should be removed from the list of approved contractors. Have to do proper due diligence.

Apparently not. It’s apparently a common occurrence. But it’s okay. It isn’t their full time gig. Never mind that you paid for it. They’re not FULL TIME employees so you have to deal with it. 

9 hours ago, LoboBooster73 said:

If a subcontractor is used and doesn’t show up as contracted to do, then that subcontractor should be removed from the list of approved contractors. Have to do proper due diligence.

And I'm fairly certain the camera guy was removed from the approved UIL list....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Apparently not. It’s apparently a common occurrence. But it’s okay. It isn’t their full time gig. Never mind that you paid for it. They’re not FULL TIME employees so you have to deal with it. 

It actually is common from what I understand....its happended at least once in every round of the playoffs......pretty sure they dont get used again but that doesn't do anything for the game that they were supposed to do

Typically by Rd 3 there's a lot fewer games so the folks who have been doing it a while and consistently end up getting the vast majority of the games...TexanLive, Texas Sports Productions in San Antonio, Rio Sports Live in the RGV, Texas Panhandle Sports are some that come to mind right away

Edited by MattStepp

One heads up for Longview folks who watch games online...games that are on TexanLive I believe also show up on NFHS..however the stream on NFHS ends up being about 30-45 seconds delayed and sometimes will buffer more...some South Oak Cliff people gave me a heads up on this over the weekend and I confirmed with a few others...I am sure there's some technical reason why thats the case but wanted to be transparent

18 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

One heads up for Longview folks who watch games online...games that are on TexanLive I believe also show up on NFHS..however the stream on NFHS ends up being about 30-45 seconds delayed and sometimes will buffer more...some South Oak Cliff people gave me a heads up on this over the weekend and I confirmed with a few others...I am sure there's some technical reason why thats the case but wanted to be transparent

Can confirm. The SOC game was unwatchable for me. Just keep a loading circle on it almost the entire time (after seeing two touchdowns).

That was the first time I had seen that all season. Had been watching TexanLive through NFHS all season (and last) and yea. Just bad.

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Can confirm. The SOC game was unwatchable for me. Just keep a loading circle on it almost the entire time (after seeing two touchdowns).

That was the first time I had seen that all season. Had been watching TexanLive through NFHS all season (and last) and yea. Just bad.

So instead of NFHS we need to go to TexanLive to watch games from now on...is that what you are saying?

2 minutes ago, gtee2 said:

So instead of NFHS we need to go to TexanLive to watch games from now on...is that what you are saying?

Think of it like this...

NFHS has more games, less consistent quality 

TexanLive fewer games (we have 20 this week), but more consistent quality