Carthage vs Gilmer Carthage 28 Gilmer 7 Final

HearEmaGrowlin

Dawgs or Bucks  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Winner

This poll is closed to new votes

5 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

They’re good, but look at the list of backs they’ve had.  It’s an embarrassment of riches through the years.  

Since this is always a fun thing to think about here’s my list of favorites starting with oldest and this is not every RB we’ve had since 1991 just the sure fire studs and those bolded another level and those bolded with exclamation even better:

1. Marlon Bolton
  2. Donny Graves
  3. Johnny Baylous!
  4. Tyrone Allison
  5. Kris Briggs
  6. Boo Beachum
  7. Jamon Edwards
  8. Jason Teague
  9. Dwight Smith!
  10. Hunter Holland
  11. Pipkin
  12. Keaontay Ingram!
  13. Mason Courtney
  14. LaRandion Dowden - current {really good}
  15. Beachum 2.0 (son of Boo) - current {tough}
  16. Edwards 2.0 (son of Jamon) - current {STUD}
  • Like 1

Just now, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Since this is always a fun thing to think about here’s my list of favorites starting with oldest and this is not every RB we’ve had since 1991 just the sure fire studs and those bolded another level and those bolded with exclamation even better:

1. Marlon Bolton
  2. Donny Graves
  3. Johnny Baylous!
  4. Tyrone Allison
  5. Kris Briggs
  6. Boo Beachum
  7. Jamon Edwards
  8. Jason Teague
  9. Dwight Smith!
  10. Hunter Holland
  11. Pipkin
  12. Keaontay Ingram!
  13. Mason Courtney

11. Tevin Pipkin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

1. Marlon Bolton
  2. Donny Graves
  3. Johnny Baylous!
  4. Tyrone Allison
  5. Kris Briggs
  6. Boo Beachum
  7. Jamon Edwards
  8. Jason Teague
  9. Dwight Smith!
  10. Hunter Holland
  11. Pipkin
  12. Keaontay Ingram!
  13. Mason Courtney

Washington, Pipkin

Just a little about the history of these 2 programs since 2007.  That's 15 years.  In that 15 years, at least 1 of these programs has played in the State Championship game 14 times, winning a combined 10 titles.  That's amazing.

Yes, Carthage has been the dominant team, going to 8 State title games and going 8-0 during that span.  But Gilmer has been to 6 titles in that span, going 2-4.  Gilmer does not have the run of success Carthage has had, but no one in the state outside of Aledo has.  But most programs in state would love to have a streak of 15 straight appearances in round 3 of the playoffs.  But now to the game itself.

I see 2 scenarios in which Gilmer can win this game:

1.  The Gilmer Defense plays lights out and is in the Carthage backfield all night long wreaking havoc.  Meanwhile, the Gilmer Offensive Line plays better than in any game this season and gives an opportunity for the Gilmer athletes to make plays in space.  If those two things happen, Gilmer might eek out a win.

2.  The entire Carthage team comes down with a stomach virus, or the flu, or COVID.

The biggest issue I see is the Line play from both teams.  I haven't seen a lot of Carthage this year, but I worry that their defensive line will overwhelm the Gilmer Offensive line.  I don't care how good a team's QB, receivers, or RBs are, no team wins with the defense in the backfield all night long.

I don't know which team, if any, is benefited by the rain.  Gilmer has at least played in it twice.  But I don't know if it really matters too much.

The Buckeyes can win, and I sure hope the coaches and players believe that, or this will over in a hurry.  But it's a tall order.  And Carthage D line is young.  Scary what they could be like in a year or two.

I'll be there, rain or shine.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

1. Marlon Bolton
  2. Donny Graves
  3. Johnny Baylous!
  4. Tyrone Allison
  5. Kris Briggs
  6. Boo Beachum
  7. Jamon Edwards
  8. Jason Teague
  9. Dwight Smith!
  10. Hunter Holland
  11. Pipkin
  12. Keaontay Ingram!
  13. Mason Courtney

Dwight Smith was the best HS running back I've ever seen. Period. 

Keontay Ingram is in the NFL and has 2 State Title rings.

Those would be 1-2 on my list.  I think I played against Boo Beachum back in the day.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Dwight Smith was the best HS running back I've ever seen. Period. 

Keontay Ingram is in the NFL and has 2 State Title rings.

Those would be 1-2 on my list.  I think I played against Boo Beachum back in the day.

Keaontay played for those Arizona Cardinals last night with Colt McCoy handing him the ball.  Ingram is still Conner’s backup, but he’s been able to spell him well when needed.

I love Keaontay, but let me tell Johnny B - oh my dear Lord, sweet Jesus - a freak!

If we had the opportunity to line them up with all of them in their prime and watch them, I bet the first two you chose would be Dwight and Johnny.  Neither made it to the NFL, but Keaontay is there now and in my opinion both were better than Keaontay and we all know K was/is phenomenal.

7 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

The biggest issue I see is the Line play from both teams.  I haven't seen a lot of Carthage this year, but I worry that their defensive line will overwhelm the Gilmer Offensive line.  I don't care how good a team's QB, receivers, or RBs are, no team wins with the defense in the backfield all night long.

This is the storyline of the game.  Gilmer needs to play the absolute best game of the year at OL and DL, and they need about 4 TO’s from Carthage.  If that does not happen, it’s going to be a long night for the Bux.  Especially if they have to go 90% run due to Tennison’s injury.

14 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Just a little about the history of these 2 programs since 2007.  That's 15 years.  In that 15 years, at least 1 of these programs has played in the State Championship game 14 times, winning a combined 10 titles.  That's amazing.

Yes, Carthage has been the dominant team, going to 8 State title games and going 8-0 during that span.  But Gilmer has been to 6 titles in that span, going 2-4.  Gilmer does not have the run of success Carthage has had, but no one in the state outside of Aledo has.  But most programs in state would love to have a streak of 15 straight appearances in round 3 of the playoffs.  But now to the game itself.

I see 2 scenarios in which Gilmer can win this game:

1.  The Gilmer Defense plays lights out and is in the Carthage backfield all night long wreaking havoc.  Meanwhile, the Gilmer Offensive Line plays better than in any game this season and gives an opportunity for the Gilmer athletes to make plays in space.  If those two things happen, Gilmer might eek out a win.

2.  The entire Carthage team comes down with a stomach virus, or the flu, or COVID.

I don't know which team, if any, is benefited by the rain.  Gilmer has at least played in it twice.  But I don't know if it really matters too much.

The Buckeyes can win, and I sure hope the coaches and players believe that, or this will over in a hurry.  But it's a tall order.  And Carthage D line is young.  Scary what they could be like in a year or two.

I'll be there, rain or shine.

You’re a good fan, Casual.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

1. Marlon Bolton
  2. Donny Graves
  3. Johnny Baylous!
  4. Tyrone Allison
  5. Kris Briggs
  6. Boo Beachum
  7. Jamon Edwards
  8. Jason Teague
  9. Dwight Smith!
  10. Hunter Holland
  11. Pipkin
  12. Keaontay Ingram!
  13. Mason Courtney

Which one was at Atlanta last year?

37 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

The twin of one DT that plays OG was thought to be a starter on defense until right before the season……a lot of Carthage posters thought the RT would play defense instead of offense…..both sophs……….crazy how that class produced good d-linemen by the 10th grade. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

This is the storyline of the game.  Gilmer needs to play the absolute best game of the year at OL and DL, and they need about 4 TO’s from Carthage.  If that does not happen, it’s going to be a long night for the Bux.  Especially if they have to go 90% run due to Tennison’s injury.

They will not run the ball on the Dawg front seven. Nobody has and I don’t think anybody can. 

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

1. Marlon Bolton
  2. Donny Graves
  3. Johnny Baylous!
  4. Tyrone Allison
  5. Kris Briggs
  6. Boo Beachum
  7. Jamon Edwards
  8. Jason Teague
  9. Dwight Smith!
  10. Hunter Holland
  11. Pipkin
  12. Keaontay Ingram!
  13. Mason Courtney

Holland was a stud…..ask Henderson….Dallas Madison or Brownwood

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Still not answering my question. My original question that hurt you. 

Nothing you say or post can hurt me…seems to me that my reply triggered you..

To end this nonsense though, the kid that was in Atlanta, is Dowden(which you already knew) and I’m sure you also know that his Mom is a Vb, Bb and track coach here

6 minutes ago, bossman1 said:

Nothing you say or post can hurt me…seems to me that my reply triggered you..

To end this nonsense though, the kid that was in Atlanta, is Dowden(which you already knew) and I’m sure you also know that his Mom is a Vb, Bb and track coach here

He'll get back to you in 10 days .....

• Like 2
  • LOL! 2

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Washington, Pipkin

O’Bryan (Wheatie) Washington was named 1st Team All-State in Class 3A by the Texas Sportswriters Association in 2009.  He had 1,801 yards on 227 carries, an average of 7.9 yards per carry.  He scored 13 touchdowns.

Two of his blockers on the O-line were also 1st Team All-Staters -  Cutter Clinton and Kendrick Henderson.  The latter’s father, Kemmy, was one of the great CHS RBs during Coach Sleepy Reynolds’ tenure.

CHS D-lineman DeShun Williams was also 1st team All-State in 2009.

Edited by BevBrownJr
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

O’Bryan (Wheatie) Washington was named 1st Team All-State in Class 3A by the Texas Sportswriters Association in 2009.  He had 1,801 yards on 227 carries, an average of 7.9 yards per carry.  He scored 13 touchdowns.

Two of his blockers on the O-line were also 1st Team All-Staters -  Cutter Clinton and Kendrick Henderson.  The latter’s father, Kemmy, was one of the great CHS RBs during Coach Sleepy Reynolds’ tenure.

CHS D-lineman DeShun Williams was also 1st team All-State in 2009.

Yep, and he didn’t even make my list.

He would’ve made DB’s list, DB loved that dude!

👍

• Wild74 changed the title to Carthage vs Gilmer Carthage 28 Gilmer 7 Final