Carthage vs Gilmer Carthage 28 Gilmer 7 Final

HearEmaGrowlin

Dawgs or Bucks  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Winner

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, bossman1 said:

Holland was a stud…..ask Henderson….Dallas Madison or Brownwood

In his senior season of 2010, Hunter Holland was named 1st Team All-State by the Texas Sportswriters Association. This was the 3rd consecutive year CHS had a TWSA 1st Team All-State running back.

Holland had 231 yards on 23 carries and 3 touchdowns against Henderson in the Bulldogs’ 43-33 win over the then 8th-ranked and unbeaten Lions. Henderson eventually won the state championship in Class 3A Division I that season.  Carthage won the state championship that season in Class 3A Division II, which was its 3rd consecutive state title.

Against Dallas Madison in the regional semi-finals, Holland had 245 yards on 30 carries and scored 2 touchdowns in the Bulldogs’ 42-13 win. 

In perhaps CHS’s most exciting game ever, Holland had 307 yards and 2 touchdowns in a 35-28 win over previously undefeated and number 1-ranked Brownwood in the state semifinals. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BevBrownJr said:

In his senior season of 2010, Hunter Holland was named 1st Team All-State by the Texas Sportswriters Association. This was the 3rd consecutive year CHS had a TWSA 1st Team All-State running back.

Holland had 231 yards on 23 carries and 3 touchdowns against Henderson in the Bulldogs’ 43-33 win over the then 8th-ranked and unbeaten Lions. Henderson eventually won the state championship in Class 3A Division I that season.  Carthage won the state championship that season in Class 3A Division II, which was its 3rd consecutive state title.

Against Dallas Madison in the regional semi-finals, Holland had 245 yards on 30 carries and scored 2 touchdowns in the Bulldogs’ 42-13 win. 

In perhaps CHS’s most exciting game ever, Holland had 307 yards and 2 touchdowns in a 35-28 win over previously undefeated and number 1-ranked Brownwood in the state semifinals. 

Stud!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Since this is always a fun thing to think about here’s my list of favorites starting with oldest and this is not every RB we’ve had since 1991 just the sure fire studs and those bolded another level and those bolded with exclamation even better:

1. Marlon Bolton
  2. Donny Graves
  3. Johnny Baylous!
  4. Tyrone Allison
  5. Kris Briggs
  6. Boo Beachum
  7. Jamon Edwards
  8. Jason Teague
  9. Dwight Smith!
  10. Hunter Holland
  11. Pipkin
  12. Keaontay Ingram!
  13. Mason Courtney
  14. LaRandion Dowden - current {really good}
  15. Beachum 2.0 (son of Boo) - current {tough}
  16. Edwards 2.0 (son of Jamon) - current {STUD}

I like Matlock as well. He’s a player

1 minute ago, cowboyandchrist said:

The greatest game I have ever watched. 

My favorite part was when we ran that trick play that ended up being a bomb to Ed Pope for a TD and they called it back on an incorrect call against us, and SS threw another bomb on the very next play for a TD.

It’s available to watch on YouTube, a video from the Brownwood stands, pretty cool.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

My favorite part was when we ran that trick play that ended up being a bomb to Ed Pope for a TD and they called it back on an incorrect call against us, and SS threw another bomb on the very next play for a TD.

It’s available to watch on YouTube, a video from the Brownwood stands, pretty cool.

I was on the edge of my seat on every play. I was so dang tired after that game. 
I will say that Brownwood receiver was one of the best or most acrobatic pass catchers I have ever seen at the high school level. 

I really respect the Gilmer program and have said as much in the past.  Last time we played them in a big game (State Title game 2020) I might have given them way too much respect.  After being demolished by the Dawgs earlier that year I picked the Dawgs by only 6 points in the title game.  Then 70-14 happened.  Now I most certainly dont feel comfortable making that kind of pick,  I am comfortable repeating a pick I've grown accustomed to making and that is....Dawgs by 3 TD's.  Make it happen Dawgs!

Edited by DAWG91
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BevBrownJr said:

Looking at the stat line how he dominated that Dallas Madison team tells me everything I needed to know about him. I played on a team that lost to Dallas Madison in the 1st round in 2010 47-7. A Dallas Madison team that had only lost one game to a really good Miami Central team that year. Dawgs dog walked them though! 

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, GTownballer said:

Dwight Smith hands down, best HS RB ive seen play the game, he had it all size and speed & power,  unfortunate he didnt get to suit up on Sunday!

Agreed.  I still say he could've walked straight off the graduation stage and suited up on sunday.  Shame really.  Size,  speed,  vision, cuts.  You name it,  he had it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, collincountyfootball1 said:

Looking at the stat line how he dominated that Dallas Madison team tells me everything I needed to know about him. I played on a team that lost to Dallas Madison in the 1st round in 2010 47-7. A Dallas Madison team that had only lost one game to a really good Miami Central team that year. Dawgs dog walked them though! 

All we heard leading up to that game was the amount of world class speed that the Madison team possessed and the first play from scrimmage, HH took it 75 + to the house leaving all of that world class in the dust

Just now, bossman1 said:

All we heard leading up to that game was the amount of world class speed that the Madison team possessed and the first play from scrimmage, HH took it 75 + to the house leaving all of that world class in the dust

HH had to be a different dude because that team did have some speed. I know the WR Marquise Lee was a state champion  110 hurdler and the RB Eric Horsely won the 100 meter dash at state. Now track speed and football in pads speed is different.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Not disagreeing with anyone's pick of Baylous or Dwight Smith, but Kris Briggs is highly underrated. Dude was a beast and carried the team. Plus one of the genuinely greatest dudes you will ever meet.

Yep, I graduated with Kris and he was awesome!

I really should’ve bolded his name.

He held multiple records for a long time.  Briggs carried us 1997-1999.

44 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

That guy caught nearly everything!  Except that last one that really mattered.  He was a BEAST.

Hard to catch it when 3 eventual DI players are triple-covering you - Ed Pope (Texas A&M), Kendall Thompson (University of Texas) & Jalen Claiborne (Wyoming).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

Hard to catch it when 3 eventual DI players are triple-covering you - Ed Pope (Texas A&M), Kendall Thompson (University of Texas) & Jalen Claiborne (Wyoming).

No doubt.  Glad they were there too!  Best game I ever saw.

• Like 2

I thought I would add, since all you Carthage people love our broadcasters so much, that Joe Dodd informed me last night that the Gilmer ISD/Etex livestream has been cleared for Friday by the UIL and will be available on all the usual outlets. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

• Wild74 changed the title to Carthage vs Gilmer Carthage 28 Gilmer 7 Final