Carthage vs Gilmer Carthage 28 Gilmer 7 Final

HearEmaGrowlin

Dawgs or Bucks  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Winner

This poll is closed to new votes

11 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Okay, for a few quick observations:

1.  14-7 and Gilmer has the ball in the 4th quarter.  Couldn't ask more of the Buckeyes.  They played their hearts out, and they got beat by a better team.

2.  On two different possessions in the 2nd quarter, Tate beat his man on a hitch and go.  Both passes were just slightly underthrown, which allowed the Carthage CB to get back into the play and break it up.  If Gilmer hits on even one of those, it's 14-14 in the 4th quarter, and this might have been a totally different game.

3.  Some people will criticize the Gilmer play calling, but it was the Gilmer play calling that kept them in the game.  Tennison was not 100%, and Rohan hadn't played QB until last week.  Run the ball, control the clock, and hopefully hit them with a big play in the passing game.  It almost happened, as I just said about the passes in the 2nd quarter.  I honestly don't know if it would have mattered if Tennison was in the game, this was the right strategy to try to beat Carthage.

4.  There were about 7-8 plays where Haynes or Henderson would have broken it big against almost any other team, but the Carthage D is so well positioned and so quick to recover that they kept the big play from happening.  I thought on several plays Gilmer was about to bust it, only to have a Carthage defender trip them up last second.  Hats off to the Carthage D.

5.  Ward played a heck of a game tonight for Gilmer.  He went both ways most of the night, and he played really good on the offensive line.  Really a warrior tonight.

6. Give a ton of credit to Carthage, but I was not a fan of their behavior before the game.  The "They don't want none" chant was a little classless for my taste.  

Great game by both teams.  Really proud of how Gilmer played tonight.  Good luck to Carthage the rest of the way.

I will add the pass that hit the Dawg receiver in the hands when both Gilmer defenders dove for the ball, if he caught the ball he could have walked the 30 yards for the TD. 
It was a high pressure ball game and both teams did the very best they could. 
Dawgs we’re definitely the better team tonight. 
I said it before, no one will beat the Dawgs D by running ball. If you can’t do both equally well, the Dawg D will stop your offense.  
That makes 11 out of 13 teams that did not score in the first half on the Dawgs D. 

Great game Carthage.  As always, great program, maximized their talent and deserves to win the game.

That said, the UIL can find ways to allow 2-3 win 4th place teams to “make the playoffs” (follow the $), but CANNOT figure out how to seed a tournament properly, (no way this was anything less than a Championship caliber game), or find officials who blow calls this badly.  It is an embarrassment. The UIL makes MILLIONS state wide off the backs of these kids. And this is the level of “fairness” they get?  Seriously?  

And if Carthage loses in the playoffs with a call THIS BLATANTLY BLOWN on a possession in the 4th quarter in a one score game, I would be agreeing with any arguments they would be making about a game changing call. It doesn’t get much worse than this. 

D2C43243-2F83-4BA0-9C36-C54EE9C8D50F.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

1.  14-7 and Gilmer has the ball in the 4th quarter.  Couldn't ask more of the Buckeyes.  They played their hearts out, and they got beat by a better team.

2.  On two different possessions in the 2nd quarter, Tate beat his man on a hitch and go.  Both passes were just slightly underthrown, which allowed the Carthage CB to get back into the play and break it up.  If Gilmer hits on even one of those, it's 14-14 in the 4th quarter, and this might have been a totally different game.

3.  Some people will criticize the Gilmer play calling, but it was the Gilmer play calling that kept them in the game.  Tennison was not 100%, and Rohan hadn't played QB until last week.  Run the ball, control the clock, and hopefully hit them with a big play in the passing game.  It almost happened, as I just said about the passes in the 2nd quarter.  I honestly don't know if it would have mattered if Tennison was in the game, this was the right strategy to try to beat Carthage.

4.  There were about 7-8 plays where Haynes or Henderson would have broken it big against almost any other team, but the Carthage D is so well positioned and so quick to recover that they kept the big play from happening.  I thought on several plays Gilmer was about to bust it, only to have a Carthage defender trip them up last second.  Hats off to the Carthage D.

5.  Ward played a heck of a game tonight for Gilmer.  He went both ways most of the night, and he played really good on the offensive line.  Really a warrior tonight.

6. Give a ton of credit to Carthage, but I was not a fan of their behavior before the game.  The "They don't want none" chant was a little classless for my taste.  

Great game by both teams.  Really proud of how Gilmer played tonight.  Good luck to Carthage the rest of the way.

I never heard any “They don’t want none” chant and was the first person in the stands on our side.

4 minutes ago, buckeyefandom said:

Great game Carthage.  As always, great program, maximized their talent and deserves to win the game.

That said, the UIL can find ways to allow 2-3 win 4th place teams to “make the playoffs” (follow the $), but CANNOT figure out how to seed a tournament properly, (no way this was anything less than a Championship caliber game), or find officials who blow calls this badly.  It is an embarrassment. The UIL makes MILLIONS state wide off the backs of these kids. And this is the level of “fairness” they get?  Seriously?  

And if Carthage loses in the playoffs with a call THIS BLATANTLY BLOWN on a possession in the 4th quarter in a one score game, I would be agreeing with any arguments they would be making about a game changing call. It doesn’t get much worse than this. 

D2C43243-2F83-4BA0-9C36-C54EE9C8D50F.jpeg

Ok, it was an interception that cost Gilmer a eventual touchdown. If it makes you feel better, then we can say the final score was 21 to 7. Either way we watched a battle and I appreciate the effort that Gilmer displayed. #1 versus #2, it was a game that we all expected to happen. Great game Gilmer, you left it all on the field and I will always respect Gilmer! Good game Dawgs, on to the next round! Go Dawgs!!

Just now, StangtilDeath said:

It was there, before they ran out of the bulldog tunnel to start the game.  They were chanting it.

Yes, I heard it too. I found it funny, it was not too distasteful and simply part of trying to get into someone's head. 

• Love 1

56 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

They aren’t saying they don’t want none. They are saying they don’t want it. Carthages motto this year is call Ed earn it. They have said that warming up every game this year it wasn’t just a Gilmer thing

3 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Man I loved it this is war ain’t no rules to war y’all gotta stop with all the soft stuff. 

Sorry, we will try to go harder next time! Love and war, no time for love on the football field. Save the love for slow dancing with your significant other! 

2 minutes ago, CDAWG68 said:

Sorry, we will try to go harder next time! Love and war, no time for love on the football field. Save the love for slow dancing with your significant other! 

Hey I agree I don’t see anything wrong with what they were saying, heck are u suppose to hug and hold hands before the game lol

• LOL! 1

16 minutes ago, CDAWG68 said:

Yes, I heard it too. I found it funny, it was not too distasteful and simply part of trying to get into someone's head. 

A Gilmer fan calling something distasteful after years of them running up the score on teams and putting their band on the visitor side in Gilmer is ironic.  Lol

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

Gilmer played a great game tonight. You should be proud of yourselves. Y’all’s d played lights out. I wish they would have ran Dowden more up the middle He was gaining 6-7 yards carry. I though Gilmer should have fed Ashton Haynes the ball more also. Great game Gilmer y’all are tough and the poll is right. Number one and number two played tonight. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Again, Gilmer D was fantastic. Hats off to them. I definitely think they provided a blueprint for teams to try and stop the Carthage offense. 56 is a monster.

Does any team left have the people to play Carthage like that? I don't know about that.

Man this was the championship game period. I don’t see anyone matching up with Carthage from here on out!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Man this was the championship game period. I don’t see anyone matching up with Carthage from here on out!!!!!!

We hope you’re right.  Your Buckeyes fought admirably tonight and I hope they hold their heads high.

Hey, y’all made us play our starters all night.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

9 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Again, Gilmer D was fantastic. Hats off to them. I definitely think they provided a blueprint for teams to try and stop the Carthage offense. 56 is a monster.

Does any team left have the people to play Carthage like that? I don't know about that.

Guru predicted 56 would disrupt Cuff tonight. Hats off on that prediction Guru!

11 minutes ago, BuckNut said:

PG thinks they are ready

The PG that had 18 yards against Gilmer’s D?  They are 1 dimensional.  Carthage is too well coached to EVER get beat by a 1 dimensional team.  Gilmer was effectively 1 dimensional offensively tonight with a QB who has never played QB.  And this was a 1 score game with 6:00 min left and a totally blown INT call.  Carthage is playing basketball Monday if Gilmer had a QB like they have the last 2 years.

Rumors that Scott has said this is the best team he has coached?  LMAO.  That team 2 years ago was by far and away light years better than this team.  Connor was the difference in this game tonight, and he has developed a TON since last year.  Nobody touches Carthage this season.  Ring #9 awaits fairly easily. If thens, wishes and nuts… etc. Gilmer has tons of talent.  Carthage is Carthage. They develop their talent better. Congrats and go get #9. Gilmer has a chance if they had gotten a fair shake tonight.  Would it have mattered?  Who knows.  But they passed their one and only test this year. Cap tip.

26 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

PG will try, but their offense is too one dimensional.