Carthage vs Gilmer Carthage 28 Gilmer 7 Final

HearEmaGrowlin

Dawgs or Bucks  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Winner

This poll is closed to new votes

15 minutes ago, buckeyefandom said:

The PG that had 18 yards against Gilmer’s D?  They are 1 dimensional.  Carthage is too well coached to EVER get beat by a 1 dimensional team.  Gilmer was effectively 1 dimensional offensively tonight with a QB who has never played QB.  And this was a 1 score game with 6:00 min left and a totally blown INT call.  Carthage is playing basketball Monday if Gilmer had a QB like they have the last 2 years.

Rumors that Scott has said this is the best team he has coached?  LMAO.  That team 2 years ago was by far and away light years better than this team.  Connor was the difference in this game tonight, and he has developed a TON since last year.  Nobody touches Carthage this season.  Ring #9 awaits fairly easily. If thens, wishes and nuts… etc. Gilmer has tons of talent.  Carthage is Carthage. They develop their talent better. Congrats and go get #9. Gilmer has a chance if they had gotten a fair shake tonight.  Would it have mattered?  Who knows.  But they passed their one and only test this year. Cap tip.

What if they would have called it an interception? Would Gilmer have scored? I’d say probably not since they only scored 7 points in 4 quarters tonight but you never know they might have. Talking about a bad call on Gilmer then what about the flag that was thrown for Offensive pass interference on Gilmer in the second half but for some reason the ref picked the flag up. It was clearly offensive pass interference. I thought the refs actually did a good job tonight and let two great teams play tonight. They threw a few flags on both teams tonight but weren’t biased to either team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buckeyefandom said:

Rumors that Scott has said this is the best team he has coached?  LMAO.  That team 2 years ago was by far and away light years better than this team.  

This leads to the obvious question: How bad do you think the 2020 Carthage team would have beaten this year’s Gilmer team?

3 hours ago, CasualObserver70 said:

6. Give a ton of credit to Carthage, but I was not a fan of their behavior before the game.  The "They don't want none" chant was a little classless for my taste.  

Carthage had a head coach in the early 70s - it was NOT Sleepy Reynolds - whose teams chanted “Hit ! Hit! Kill!” before games and nobody seemed to care.  I wonder if that was because society was so different back then…or because his career record at Carthage was only 10-19-1.

Edited by BevBrownJr

4 hours ago, JBizzle said:

Again, Gilmer D was fantastic. Hats off to them. I definitely think they provided a blueprint for teams to try and stop the Carthage offense. 56 is a monster.

Does any team left have the people to play Carthage like that? I don't know about that.

P G will be very competitive - playing much better the last few weeks. 
Silsbee has the athletes/speed like Gilmer. 
What Gilmer had that most teams don’t is cornerbacks that were like glue to #13 and #88(most catches were contested) and of course the NG.  

• Like 2

I re-watched the game and this was the best Gilmer defense that I have seen. 
The offense was good but there have been better Gilmer offenses. 
This Gilmer team had speed on size. 
I was nervous as the game progressed. 
I was so accustomed to the Dawg offense marching down the field and scoring at will. 
what a great ball game. 
This was a total team win, but what a slobber knocker. 
I knew if Surratt let Cuff run, the Dawgs would have another offensive weapon. 
Everyone of the Dawgs should get a game ball, heck even Gilmer players should get a game ball. 
This game is why Texas High School football is the greatest sport. 
Time will tell on where this Dawg D stacks up in the history of Texas High School football, but only allowing 27 points in 13 games in todays offenses is unbelievable. 
Next up PG

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I think they’re saying the team was chanting it before running out of the Dawgs head.  If so, they need to quit crying.

A lot of teams chant “We Ready”….I guess that is implying the other team is not ready and insulting the other team……they should stop saying that, it might hurt feelings…..lol. 

4 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

A lot of teams chant “We Ready”….I guess that is implying the other team is not ready and insulting the other team……they should stop saying that, it might hurt feelings…..lol. 

I would much rather have those pregame chants than I would the in-game celebration of standing over your opponent and talking teach after a play. Those are gonna get you 15 yards and it's a bad look. I don't really have a problem with talking, I know that's how a lot of people play.

I think, in general, we worry a little too much about hurt feelings.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, buckeyefandom said:

The PG that had 18 yards against Gilmer’s D?  They are 1 dimensional.  Carthage is too well coached to EVER get beat by a 1 dimensional team.  Gilmer was effectively 1 dimensional offensively tonight with a QB who has never played QB.  And this was a 1 score game with 6:00 min left and a totally blown INT call.  Carthage is playing basketball Monday if Gilmer had a QB like they have the last 2 years.

Rumors that Scott has said this is the best team he has coached?  LMAO.  That team 2 years ago was by far and away light years better than this team.  Connor was the difference in this game tonight, and he has developed a TON since last year.  Nobody touches Carthage this season.  Ring #9 awaits fairly easily. If thens, wishes and nuts… etc. Gilmer has tons of talent.  Carthage is Carthage. They develop their talent better. Congrats and go get #9. Gilmer has a chance if they had gotten a fair shake tonight.  Would it have mattered?  Who knows.  But they passed their one and only test this year. Cap tip.

If Gilmer had a QB like they had the last 2 years? You mean the one that Carthage picked off 3-4 times each time we played? Including 4 in the state championship game?  I think it might have been worse honestly. Sure, RF was more of an athlete at QB type thing, but for years now Carthage has always shut Gilmer’s passing attack down outside of a few plays each game. RF on the ground proved the bulk of Gilmer’s offense last night. If either Tennison brother was in there last night it might have been less of a game. RF had the athleticism and mystery of not playing the position long enough for a true scouting report to make things interesting at QB.  

Gilmer had one play that kept them from laying a goose egg. Kept throwing it deep to 7, and finally the timing worked on One play out of what? 3? 4?. That wasn’t going to make the difference and win the game. You have to run and pass the ball effectively to win against Carthage. Gilmer should have ran Haynes more, but they kept sending your favorite “speedster” in there, hoping he’d break one and he never did because Carthage defense was too fast and too well coached. Should have let Haynes grind out tough yards more early and often. 

Also, it was weird that when down 21-7 they didn’t really seem to call the offense with any more urgency than if it were 0-0 in the 1st. I know passing was not working well for Gilmer at all, but felt like they’d have at least tried to make it wide open at that point 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, michaelmyers said:

What if they would have called it an interception? Would Gilmer have scored? I’d say probably not since they only scored 7 points in 4 quarters tonight but you never know they might have. Talking about a bad call on Gilmer then what about the flag that was thrown for Offensive pass interference on Gilmer in the second half but for some reason the ref picked the flag up. It was clearly offensive pass interference. I thought the refs actually did a good job tonight and let two great teams play tonight. They threw a few flags on both teams tonight but weren’t biased to either team. 

Exactly. And I was a bit surprised at the non calls the refs were making. Lots of shoving and jawing. Had this been the refs from when we played Center, both teams would have had 100 plus yards in penalties. Lol

• LOL! 1

15 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Maybe Gilmer just prefers teams they can bully that ain’t ready

• Like 2

So, just watched the game and have a few thoughts.

Who is this speedster we were supposed to be terrified of? Seriously, I don’t remember anyone with any more speed than RF for G.  Maybe he was the receiver who caught the TD pass?

I really like Ward for Gilmer, he is a stud and disrupted our offense.  Great game by a great player.

I don’t think the refs were bad.  Gilmer fans saying they got ripped a couple times.  If the DB lost control of the int when coming to the ground it’s not interception. His foot was definitely down in bounds. There were a few times where G was given a first down, especially on that 4th & short where it was right at the line to gain, and they didn’t even measure.  I think the refs were fair both ways.

Playing the what if game about G having Tennison I think is kind of futile, honestly.

If y’all want to play what ifs or should have beens let’s do that..

The first interception the D had really should’ve been a pick 6.  There was no reason for our DB to go to the ground there and the WR was not responsible for him going to the ground.  Catch the ball and run that in and it’s 14-0 within the first few possessions of the game.   
If #88 Manning catches the ball Cuff threw to him out of our own end zone across his body he’s gone for a 90 yard TD.  The pass hit him right in the numbers and he just dropped it.  There were zero defenders between he and the end zone just dropped.   
What if Paddie caught the ball on the slant just before half?  He would’ve at least been down inside the Gilmer 5.  Do we go in for another TD after that instead of eventually missing the FG?   
We should’ve made that FG going into half and been up 17-0 instead of 14-0.  BTW, when watching the game it sure looked like that FG was good, but the refs were right under the posts.  The angle on TV it looked good, but we digress.

This game could’ve been out of hand for Gilmer, but was not.  Had our offense not tried so much sideways stuff so often we could’ve made a better showing, but we didn’t.

Gilmer’s defense played very well, kudos to them for sure.

Carthage’s defense did well except for letting RF get semi loose a few times and giving up the touchdown pass.

It was a good game, Gilmer pushed Carthage and that’s a good thing for the Bulldogs.

On to PG, another really good opponent.

Go Dawgs!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

If Gilmer had a QB like they had the last 2 years? You mean the one that Carthage picked off 3-4 times each time we played? Including 4 in the state championship game?  I think it might have been worse honestly. Sure, RF was more of an athlete at QB type thing, but for years now Carthage has always shut Gilmer’s passing attack down outside of a few plays each game. RF on the ground proved the bulk of Gilmer’s offense last night. If either Tennison brother was in there last night it might have been less of a game. RF had the athleticism and mystery of not playing the position long enough for a true scouting report to make things interesting at QB.  

Gilmer had one play that kept them from laying a goose egg. Kept throwing it deep to 7, and finally the timing worked on One play out of what? 3? 4?. That wasn’t going to make the difference and win the game. You have to run and pass the ball effectively to win against Carthage. Gilmer should have ran Haynes more, but they kept sending your favorite “speedster” in there, hoping he’d break one and he never did because Carthage defense was too fast and too well coached. Should have let Haynes grind out tough yards more early and often. 

Also, it was weird that when down 21-7 they didn’t really seem to call the offense with any more urgency than if it were 0-0 in the 1st. I know passing was not working well for Gilmer at all, but felt like they’d have at least tried to make it wide open at that point 

The QB couldn't pass. Did you watch the game? Coach didn't have the forward pass as an option. Kind of surprised no one else on the Gilmer roster could throw the ball. 

2 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

So, just watched the game and have a few thoughts.

Who is this speedster we were supposed to be terrified of? Seriously, I don’t remember anyone with any more speed than RF for G.  Maybe he was the receiver who caught the TD pass?

His name is Will Henderson. He was a RB and actually outgained Haynes this year, although Haynes had more TDs. I think his jersey number was 22.

As a sophomore last May, he finished 2nd in the 100 meter dash in Class 4A in the State Track Meet in Austin with a time of 10.48.

35 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

His name is Will Henderson. He was a RB and actually outgained Haynes this year, although Haynes had more TDs. I think his jersey number was 22.

As a sophomore last May, he finished 2nd in the 100 meter dash in Class 4A in the State Track Meet in Austin with a time of 10.48.

Ok, he was tackled for a loss on a 4th down and 2 late in the game.