Carthage vs Gilmer Carthage 28 Gilmer 7 Final

HearEmaGrowlin

Dawgs or Bucks  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Winner

This poll is closed to new votes

8 hours ago, cotton84 said:

In this instance, he did not take 2 steps/football move, so he would have to maintain possession thru the ground.  
Stream - read on here is it was done by students with no commercials, the UIL allowed it….but they had commercials. 

Not sure about students, but they are certainly juveniles.

• LOL! 1

Last post from me on this before moving on to Carthage / Pleasant Grove.

I stated before the game Gilmer could win if 3 things happened:

1)  Gilmer defense played lights out, with the D line in Carthage backfield often.  This happened.  #56, Ward, may be the best Gilmer defensive lineman in the last 20 years.  Incredibly quick to be as big as he is.  Gilmer D played great.

2)  Gilmer offensive line would have to play their best game of the year.  Again, this happened.  I don't remember any holding penalties, and the O line played great.  Ashton Haynes actually averaged 5 yards a carry.  The Gilmer O line did not by any stretch of the imagination dominate the line of scrimmage, but they did enough to keep it close and to keep from the constant 3 and outs that the Carthage Defense so often produces.  

3)  This would give opportunity for the Gilmer athletes to make some big plays.  This didn't occur.  There was only the one big play:  the TD to Tate.  The Carthage defense was so disciplined, so well coached, and so athletic, that plays against other teams which would have busted for big plays got shut down.  Yes, Rohan slightly underthrew Tate on two passes in the 2nd quarter, but it wouldn't have mattered against most other teams:  their CBs would have been so burnt there would not have been a chance to recover.  But against Carthage, it was  a different story.  And that was the biggest takeaway from this game for me.  The Carthage offense is good, but the defense is the best I've seen in 4A this year.  You have to be almost perfect to beat them.  

Hard to be disappointed with the play of the Buckeyes.  They didn't give up, they played above their heads, and they were competitive for 3 1/2 quarters.  I mean, Gilmer had the football with a chance to tie the game in the 4th quarter.  But it's just so hard to be a team with the talent and coaching Carthage has.  

Now, Please Carthage, go win state.  I would love to comfort myself knowing Gilmer gave Carthage a better run for their money than any other team in 4A.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 11/28/2022 at 10:16 AM, CasualObserver70 said:

Last post from me on this before moving on to Carthage / Pleasant Grove.

I stated before the game Gilmer could win if 3 things happened:

1)  Gilmer defense played lights out, with the D line in Carthage backfield often.  This happened.  #56, Ward, may be the best Gilmer defensive lineman in the last 20 years.  Incredibly quick to be as big as he is.  Gilmer D played great.

2)  Gilmer offensive line would have to play their best game of the year.  Again, this happened.  I don't remember any holding penalties, and the O line played great.  Ashton Haynes actually averaged 5 yards a carry.  The Gilmer O line did not by any stretch of the imagination dominate the line of scrimmage, but they did enough to keep it close and to keep from the constant 3 and outs that the Carthage Defense so often produces.  

3)  This would give opportunity for the Gilmer athletes to make some big plays.  This didn't occur.  There was only the one big play:  the TD to Tate.  The Carthage defense was so disciplined, so well coached, and so athletic, that plays against other teams which would have busted for big plays got shut down.  Yes, Rohan slightly underthrew Tate on two passes in the 2nd quarter, but it wouldn't have mattered against most other teams:  their CBs would have been so burnt there would not have been a chance to recover.  But against Carthage, it was  a different story.  And that was the biggest takeaway from this game for me.  The Carthage offense is good, but the defense is the best I've seen in 4A this year.  You have to be almost perfect to beat them.  

Hard to be disappointed with the play of the Buckeyes.  They didn't give up, they played above their heads, and they were competitive for 3 1/2 quarters.  I mean, Gilmer had the football with a chance to tie the game in the 4th quarter.  But it's just so hard to be a team with the talent and coaching Carthage has.  

Now, Please Carthage, go win state.  I would love to comfort myself knowing Gilmer gave Carthage a better run for their money than any other team in 4A.

This.  The only thing I have to add are the "what ifs", but those don't matter.  You play with what you have, and Carthage was the better team.  Either way, I am proud of the way our Buckeyes played, especially the defense.  Now..., I'm rooting for the Dawgs to go get number 9, and bring it back to East Texas where it belongs.  Sic 'em!

Edited by blackflag79
  • Like 1
  • Love 4