UPDATE: Hughes Springs hires Joshua Willis

Smoaky

12 minutes ago, HS1988 said:

I'll take that as a yes....  👀

Just for clarification. Maybe you should read the post again. The context of the word ugly, not meaning what you are thinking apparently. I will try to explain. We were having an adult conversation about the money aspect. You know like budget. This is a school, not a football mecca. Believe me, it matters. Not ugly like you think with people bashing someone on social media and attempting to(not very good at it though) personal attacks. I have not made a single personal attack on anyone. I could 😁....but I won't . Not on something this serious. You have a good day now!

Edited by HS1988

I wish Coach Ed the best. I will always support my school. Kids, coaches, teachers, and administrators regardless of who they are. I will support the new guy just the same. Always have. My folks been here 5 generations and wouldn't want to raise kids anywhere else. Go Mustangs!

• Like 1

I have known Chris for 10 years, or more.  Always a great coach to work with on the field, at home,  or away.   My opinion really doesn't matter, but I don't know what HS is expecting.   Their district is tough. Good Luck to him, from a friend,  you call, "old man"

• Like 2

On 11/22/2022 at 9:27 PM, Smoaky said:

Sources have told me Hughes Springs I.S.D. wants to reassign Chris Edwards, who has been coaching in the district for 25-years and the last 16-years as the head coach. 

I've learned Edwards was informed last week the school district doesn't want him to be the athletic director or head football coach going forward. Edwards has taken the Mustangs to the state playoffs in 15 of his 16 years as the head coach, missing the playoffs his third year in Hughes Springs (2009). Edwards is 108-71 overall as the head coach at Hughes Springs including 3-8 this season.

I once had an East Texas football coach tell me how respected Coach Edwards was throughout the region and it was well known anyone could contact him for advice in running an athletic department or football program.

I saw a school in the same county as Hughes Springs do the same thing. They reassigned their head coach because their school board decided their coach wasn't doing enough.....That school hasn't won many games since 2012...Having a guy that is invested in your community and is happy being there instead of using you as a stepping stone is better for your program because he brought consistency. 

• Like 4

Seven wins a year is hard to do anywhere. Its especially hard when you aren't getting a huge talent pull. Hughes Springs has had some good players through the years but I think they got the absolute best out of their teams when they didn't have as much talent.....did they perform well this year? No, and I bet that coaching staff would be the first to say that but  I know a lot of schools that would love to win seven games a year for the next 16 years. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TIMRIGGINS said:

He gonna be AD. Todd Dodge gonna be the OC Jerry Bennett gonna be the special teams coordinator  and G.A. Moore gonna be the DC running the 10-1. 

I can see that happening. Be more like Abbott and Costello and “ who’s on first”?😂

Coach Ed is a good man who loves Hughes Springs. The man spent his entire career there and though he may not have got a state championship he was able to get things going in the right direction. Over 100 wins in his tenure there is impressive. He didn’t have the talent of Carthage, Gilmer, or even Daingerfield, but he was able to make the football program relevant in a baseball town.

I also think the supt handled this just completely wrong. I truly believed that this should have been treated with more respect than it did. From what I understand the coaches found out through smoaky. These are people’s livelihoods, think they should know before the public. 

Sorry to hear this for Coach Ed, and I truly hope he lands on his feet. I’d be cautious if I was anyone looking into this one. 

21 minutes ago, AsSeenOnTV said:

Coach Ed is a good man who loves Hughes Springs. The man spent his entire career there and though he may not have got a state championship he was able to get things going in the right direction. Over 100 wins in his tenure there is impressive. He didn’t have the talent of Carthage, Gilmer, or even Daingerfield, but he was able to make the football program relevant in a baseball town.

I also think the supt handled this just completely wrong. I truly believed that this should have been treated with more respect than it did. From what I understand the coaches found out through smoaky. These are people’s livelihoods, think they should know before the public. 

Sorry to hear this for Coach Ed, and I truly hope he lands on his feet. I’d be cautious if I was anyone looking into this one. 

Other than hearing through the grapevine, or on SDC, the public still don't know. No official public statement yet. I wouldn't be real excited to make the statement either. Coach Ed is a pretty popular guy around here other than with a few parents. 

50 minutes ago, AsSeenOnTV said:

Well said. Totally handled wrong by board and supt.

Coach Edwards has always been a standup guy. Coached his kids to play hard. Got a lot of his kids. Cared about them  more than just wins.

I hope whoever gets this goes in with their eyes wide open. Good luck.

1 hour ago, HS1988 said:

Other than hearing through the grapevine, or on SDC, the public still don't know. No official public statement yet. I wouldn't be real excited to make the statement either. Coach Ed is a pretty popular guy around here other than with a few parents. 

I think that is what is making this situation worse. What are they waiting for? This came out over Thanksgiving break, so someone had to leak this out.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 9:46 PM, AsSeenOnTV said:

I think that is what is making this situation worse. What are they waiting for? This came out over Thanksgiving break, so someone had to leak this out.

Oh the things I've heard. From.....what should be reliable sources considering. Seems they want a majority. All on the same page. Problem is, some board members on the other side of the fence. Some straddling. All parties supposedly under a gag order(😁) Coaches quitting. Hope they get it all sorted out soon. Seems to me like this should have waited until after this school year. Other sports trying to carry on as usual. No AD....or maybe just not officially anymore? What a mess.

Edited by HS1988

47 minutes ago, HS1988 said:

Oh the things I've heard. From.....what should be reliable sources considering. Seems they want a majority. All on the same page. Problem is, some board members on the other side of the fence. Some straddling. All parties supposedly under a gag order(😁) Coaches quitting. Hope they get it all sorted out soon. Seems to me like this should have waited until after this school year. Other sports trying to carry on as usual. No AD....or maybe just not officially anymore? What a mess.

What coaches quit?

On 11/29/2022 at 8:15 PM, AsSeenOnTV said:

What a relevant statement.  He did just that.  That may be the problem.  If you want to see how that turns out, use New Diana as your model.  Ain't good.

20 hours ago, thefirsttimer said:

What coaches quit?

One resigned yesterday. Another will soon be announced as AD/Head Football coach at another school. I think the sports effected will be power lifting coach, assistant baseball coach, and assistant tennis coach. They were both great coaches and will be missed. 

44 minutes ago, HS1988 said:

One resigned yesterday. Another will soon be announced as AD/Head Football coach at another school. I think the sports effected will be power lifting coach, assistant baseball coach, and assistant tennis coach. They were both great coaches and will be missed. 

Boys or girls powerlifting? Trying to figure this one out

Lots of holes to fill mid year. Wonder how many of the coaches left have time to pick up another assignment. Looks like this is going to test the commitment of some to the district. I have heard where the superintendent , principal take a sport or girls coaches switch over to a boys sport to help out in tough times . Looking at this looks like tough times to me.

8 minutes ago, thefirsttimer said:

Lots of holes to fill mid year. Wonder how many of the coaches left have time to pick up another assignment. Looks like this is going to test the commitment of some to the district. I have heard where the superintendent , principal take a sport or girls coaches switch over to a boys sport to help out in tough times . Looking at this looks like tough times to me.

One will be an AD/Head Football coach at another school. The other is resigned and I'm told is retiring. Hopefully for the kids sake that is all but I'm hearing things. We will see. A LOT of people are very disappointed. 

• Smoaky changed the title to *Breaking* Hughes Springs ISD and Chris Edwards Reach Settlement Agreement.
  • Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Hughes Springs hires Joshua Willis
  • Smoaky unpinned this topic