UPDATE: Hughes Springs hires Joshua Willis

Smoaky

Sources have told me Hughes Springs I.S.D. wants to reassign Chris Edwards, who has been coaching in the district for 25-years and the last 16-years as the head coach. 

I've learned Edwards was informed last week the school district doesn't want him to be the athletic director or head football coach going forward. Edwards has taken the Mustangs to the state playoffs in 15 of his 16 years as the head coach, missing the playoffs his third year in Hughes Springs (2009). Edwards is 108-71 overall as the head coach at Hughes Springs including 3-8 this season.

I once had an East Texas football coach tell me how respected Coach Edwards was throughout the region and it was well known anyone could contact him for advice in running an athletic department or football program.

8 hours ago, Smoaky said:

Sources have told me Hughes Springs I.S.D. wants to reassign Chris Edwards, who has been coaching in the district for 25-years and the last 16-years as the head coach. 

I've learned Edwards was informed last week the school district doesn't want him to be the athletic director or head football coach going forward. Edwards has taken the Mustangs to the state playoffs in 15 of his 16 years as the head coach, missing the playoffs his third year in Hughes Springs (2009). Edwards is 108-71 overall as the head coach at Hughes Springs including 3-8 this season.

I once had an East Texas football coach tell me how respected Coach Edwards was throughout the region and it was well known anyone could contact him for advice in running an athletic department or football program.

Thank you for the information. I have watched him and his program over the years and have a lot of respect for HS athletics. I never saw him try to embarrass another coach or team . My thoughts are that “daddy-ball” may be behind this. The younger daddies probably want a younger guy to come in and run the  spread like it’s the answer to every program that has a down year. Best of luck to Chris.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, StangtilDeath said:

I'm no expert,  but maybe the powers that be in Hughes springs have saw the success that harmony is having this year.

I fail to see the connection. Then why don’t every school that has a bad year reassign the coach because Carthage has had success over the years

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Destry said:

I fail to see the connection. Then why don’t every school that has a bad year reassign the coach because Carthage has had success over the years

Harmony got a new head coach, he changed the offensive scheme and now they're playing in the 3rd round in his first year.  Morale is very low for football at hs.  Maybe someone new can change that.  I have friends and family with kids still in school at hs and they say kids don't want to play for Ed.  I played under Ed and he was a good coach that also taught morals.  But that was 20 years ago.

49 minutes ago, StangtilDeath said:

Harmony got a new head coach, he changed the offensive scheme and now they're playing in the 3rd round in his first year.  Morale is very low for football at hs.  Maybe someone new can change that.  I have friends and family with kids still in school at hs and they say kids don't want to play for Ed.  I played under Ed and he was a good coach that also taught morals.  But that was 20 years ago.

Understand where you are coming from. New blood is good sometimes—- and not so good sometimes.

3 hours ago, StangtilDeath said:

Harmony is in the 3rd round cause they didn’t pull dangerfield. Under their last head coach they always made second round and then most years faced daingerfield who beat them by 20 or 30 in district this year! 

• Like 2

HS never been a powerhouse in FBz and to be completely honest it's not hard to make the playoffs with who they've had in district and who He decides to schedule predistrict. Never wish failure on anyone, gl to him in future but let's see if someone can come in and turn that program around.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iRockNewbzz said:

HS never been a powerhouse in FBz and to be completely honest it's not hard to make the playoffs with who they've had in district and who He decides to schedule predistrict. Never wish failure on anyone, gl to him in future but let's see if someone can come in and turn that program around.

Turn a program around? I think you mean advance them further! There are hundreds of schools that would love to sniff the playoffs and he has made it every year but one! Be careful what you wish for! Grass isn’t always greener on other side 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theprodigy said:

Turn a program around? I think you mean advance them further! There are hundreds of schools that would love to sniff the playoffs and he has made it every year but one! Be careful what you wish for! Grass isn’t always greener on other side 

I mean, considering how easy it is to make it to playoffs nowadays with deep districts, you pretty much have to be absolute 💩💩💩💩 to not "make the playoffs". It's not like HS has even been in a district of doom or anything; like 2 wins and you're in 😂

• Like 1

We went from 0-9 to 5-5 and the playoffs with a HC change in MW with a completely different offensive philosophy.  But talent comes and goes.  I worked with HS as their AT for 1 yr in 2008 (maybe 09), Chris was there.  That entire staff was a bunch of good dudes who finished 2nd or 3rd in that district that year.  Hope the best going forward 

45 minutes ago, iRockNewbzz said:

1988, figured you'd be on here by now. What's your opinion?

Goes without saying. At least to the older posters on here who know me. There is an old saying about arguing with people who you wouldn't ask their opinion. It applies here. I will only say that I support coach Edwards 100%. He does a great job with the kids he has year in and year out. Unfortunately, some people have unrealistic expectations. I would never speak negative of kids who bust their butts trying to win. But I am also a realist. These kids AND coaches do their level best. But the truth is, we just weren't very good this year, and we are rarely loaded. Stay tuned........we will see how this plays out.

• Smoaky changed the title to *Breaking* Hughes Springs ISD and Chris Edwards Reach Settlement Agreement.
  • Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Hughes Springs hires Joshua Willis
  • Smoaky unpinned this topic