Jump to content

*Breaking* Hughes Springs to reassign longtime Mustangs Football Coach Chris Edwards...


Smoaky
 Share

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, iRockNewbzz said:

1988, figured you'd be on here by now. What's your opinion?

Goes without saying. At least to the older posters on here who know me. There is an old saying about arguing with people who you wouldn't ask their opinion. It applies here. I will only say that I support coach Edwards 100%. He does a great job with the kids he has year in and year out. Unfortunately, some people have unrealistic expectations. I would never speak negative of kids who bust their butts trying to win. But I am also a realist. These kids AND coaches do their level best. But the truth is, we just weren't very good this year, and we are rarely loaded. Stay tuned........we will see how this plays out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, iRockNewbzz said:

Do you think they go within program or look outside? Name that is generating some buzz is Coach Green, but I know nothing about him.

Considering there has been no public statement made other than on here, I get the feeling this whole thing was not very well thought out. I mean he is still under contract through next year. Instead of who they are thinking about, the better question is how do they plan to pay them? 👀

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, iRockNewbzz said:

Since it's "Reassigning", I assume it'd be in some managerial role {whether that would be AP/Principal/etc I'm not sure}. Would be awful if they do to him what Hendo did to Castles

Really doesn't matter. A new guy requires new salary. In house would still require more money. I honestly have no idea. Doesn't seem like good management or stewardship of taxpayer money to me. Nor a very popular move with the majority. Knee jerk maybe? Idk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, HS1988 said:

Really doesn't matter. A new guy requires new salary. In house would still require more money. I honestly have no idea. Doesn't seem like good management or stewardship of taxpayer money to me. Nor a very popular move with the majority. Knee jerk maybe? Idk

Schools are basically run by their own government system and we’ve all seen how good government is at spending money

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, HS1988 said:

Goes without saying. At least to the older posters on here who know me. There is an old saying about arguing with people who you wouldn't ask their opinion. It applies here. I will only say that I support coach Edwards 100%. He does a great job with the kids he has year in and year out. Unfortunately, some people have unrealistic expectations. I would never speak negative of kids who bust their butts trying to win. But I am also a realist. These kids AND coaches do their level best. But the truth is, we just weren't very good this year, and we are rarely loaded. Stay tuned........we will see how this plays out.

Well said! Problem is that the community coaches can’t realize the truth in your statement. Sometimes a coaching staff does their best coaching job ever and goes 5-5; 6-4; or maybe even 3-8, just not very good. Something like the common man telling the brain surgeon how to do his job.😁😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He has been there the same number of years that Surratt has been at Carthage based on info in this thread. He has won right at half the number of games they have at Carthage. Now, before you start saying Carthage is a special place etc. It wasn’t before Surratt. And, I can remember a short few years ago that kids from Dfield, PP, and LK not to mention other places were transferring to HS. That place had the makings of being a  Carthage or Gilmer of the 3A world. Didn’t y’all beat Dfield once or twice a couple years ago? I’m not saying it’s all one person’s fault, but when you’ve had 16 years to make a place special and you haven’t done anything to speak of in 5-6 years, something isn’t right. 

  • Like 3
  • Stinks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, JGlass said:

He has been there the same number of years that Surratt has been at Carthage based on info in this thread. He has won right at half the number of games they have at Carthage. Now, before you start saying Carthage is a special place etc. It wasn’t before Surratt. And, I can remember a short few years ago that kids from Dfield, PP, and LK not to mention other places were transferring to HS. That place had the makings of being a  Carthage or Gilmer of the 3A world. Didn’t y’all beat Dfield once or twice a couple years ago? I’m not saying it’s all one person’s fault, but when you’ve had 16 years to make a place special and you haven’t done anything to speak of in 5-6 years, something isn’t right. 

HS has had around 18 coaches since the 1930's. Hell the Legend Dennis Alexander coached here 4-5 years barely went .500 and left and went to Dangerfield and immediate started filling the trophy case. After he left, other coaches continued filling it. Now.....why is that? Coaches? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am really surprised that some young daddy hasn’t gotten on here and said that it was because he run an archaic offense like the slot t and not the fabulous spread that is the savior to all programs.😂😂😂😂

  • Like 1
  • LOL! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw this thread and decided to investigate and maybe I’m missing something and someone can enlighten us.

In the 76 years pre-Edwards they won 4 District championships and had 11 playoff appearances.  In Edwards’ 16 years they have 4 District championships and 14 playoff appearances.

Before Edwards 358-384 48% winning%

Now 465-451    51% winning %

Edwards 107-67  62% winning %


He quite literally turned them into a winning program, and frankly has become victim of his own success.  They get spoiled and expect it every year when it’s just not plausible in small towns.   You are going to have ups and downs in athleticism, it’s hard for a school of 320 to have great athletes every year.  There are a lot of great people in Hughes Springs and my guess is they weren’t involved in this move.  For the others that were, sometimes you need to watch what you ask for.  My guess would be that this hurts Hughes Springs for a while.  Didn’t he also have a couple of good athletes that have some years left?

 Who wants to follow Edwards at Hughes Springs????   The only person that can probably handle the community and the only person even close, more less over a 100 wins at Hughes Springs.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Trackster2323 said:

Saw this thread and decided to investigate and maybe I’m missing something and someone can enlighten us.

In the 76 years pre-Edwards they won 4 District championships and had 11 playoff appearances.  In Edwards’ 16 years they have 4 District championships and 14 playoff appearances.

Before Edwards 358-384 48% winning%

Now 465-451    51% winning %

Edwards 107-67  62% winning %


He quite literally turned them into a winning program, and frankly has become victim of his own success.  They get spoiled and expect it every year when it’s just not plausible in small towns.   You are going to have ups and downs in athleticism, it’s hard for a school of 320 to have great athletes every year.  There are a lot of great people in Hughes Springs and my guess is they weren’t involved in this move.  For the others that were, sometimes you need to watch what you ask for.  My guess would be that this hurts Hughes Springs for a while.  Didn’t he also have a couple of good athletes that have some years left?

 Who wants to follow Edwards at Hughes Springs????   The only person that can probably handle the community and the only person even close, more less over a 100 wins at Hughes Springs.  

How many of those "playoff" appearances were as the 4th place team with a first round exit? 🤔

 

 

  • LOL! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Trackster2323 said:

Saw this thread and decided to investigate and maybe I’m missing something and someone can enlighten us.

In the 76 years pre-Edwards they won 4 District championships and had 11 playoff appearances.  In Edwards’ 16 years they have 4 District championships and 14 playoff appearances.

Before Edwards 358-384 48% winning%

Now 465-451    51% winning %

Edwards 107-67  62% winning %


He quite literally turned them into a winning program, and frankly has become victim of his own success.  They get spoiled and expect it every year when it’s just not plausible in small towns.   You are going to have ups and downs in athleticism, it’s hard for a school of 320 to have great athletes every year.  There are a lot of great people in Hughes Springs and my guess is they weren’t involved in this move.  For the others that were, sometimes you need to watch what you ask for.  My guess would be that this hurts Hughes Springs for a while.  Didn’t he also have a couple of good athletes that have some years left?

 Who wants to follow Edwards at Hughes Springs????   The only person that can probably handle the community and the only person even close, more less over a 100 wins at Hughes Springs.  

I have talked to a lot of people here. It is not supported by the masses. This will get ugly. Sometimes people forget who votes for them. Others forget who pays their salary. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, HS1988 said:

I have talked to a lot of people here. It is not supported by the masses. This will get ugly. Sometimes people forget who votes for them. Others forget who pays their salary. 

That’s not what I’ve been hearing, but I don’t live there so maybe the talk I’ve heard has come from the minority. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JGlass said:

That’s not what I’ve been hearing, but I don’t live there so maybe the talk I’ve heard has come from the minority. 

I would think so. Most don't even know. Not sure why the board members and other school officials "can't confirm or deny at this time".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In order to reassign him, a position needs to be created or opened so the School Board can start the process of hiring replacement ASAP (assuming they're trying to get replacement done before the start of 2nd semester). Edwards is a good guy, and I would say pretty decent coach, but historically HS has always had not-so-good HC's when it comes to record wise (Bruce Bradley, Mike Newton 😂, Edwards). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, HS1988 said:

I have talked to a lot of people here. It is not supported by the masses. This will get ugly. Sometimes people forget who votes for them. Others forget who pays their salary. 

Of course it will get ugly. It's hs. That's why y'all will never be successful. People like you trying and hoping it turns out to be some dramatic thing. Sometimes things just need to change. It's not a big deal. Hs needs something new to maybe get the kids more involved and wanting to play football. Nothing wrong with Chris,just change is good sometimes. It's not like hs is state bound every year. What's it hurt to see if someone else can make y'all better. Stop being a female about it and starting drama.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CantEverRememberMyPassword said:

Of course it will get ugly. It's hs. That's why y'all will never be successful. People like you trying and hoping it turns out to be some dramatic thing. Sometimes things just need to change. It's not a big deal. Hs needs something new to maybe get the kids more involved and wanting to play football. Nothing wrong with Chris,just change is good sometimes. It's not like hs is state bound every year. What's it hurt to see if someone else can make y'all better. Stop being a female about it and starting drama.

That opinion goes both ways. Like I said in my first post. People like you are not worth arguing with. I will support my school and the coaches no matter who they are. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CantEverRememberMyPassword said:

Of course it will get ugly. It's hs. That's why y'all will never be successful. People like you trying and hoping it turns out to be some dramatic thing. Sometimes things just need to change. It's not a big deal. Hs needs something new to maybe get the kids more involved and wanting to play football. Nothing wrong with Chris,just change is good sometimes. It's not like hs is state bound every year. What's it hurt to see if someone else can make y'all better. Stop being a female about it and starting drama.

BTW....I isn't gender identity a touchy subject with you progressive types?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...