5A D1 R2 Final: Longview vs Mansfield Timberview

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (13-0) vs Mansfield Timberview Wolves (13-0)  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Mansfield Timberview in a close one
    • Mansfield Timberview in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/2022 at 01:00 AM

Teams to remember play in December. And we got #1 vs #2 in a "someone's 0 must go" situation.

For Timberview, the foundation of everything that they do offensively is zone read...trying to get defenses to freeze. They are no doubt the largest OL that Longview has faced this season but luckily, we've had some practice against some beef along the way including last night. Still, Timberview is massive up front with at least 2 FBS prospects up front.

TV almost has a similar mindset as Longview. Run first, and that opens up everything else. They have two RBs with over 1,200 rushing yards. One of them would probably have major offers if not for size. Titus Evans is a dangerous WR outwide for Timberview. QB1 is completing 57% of his passes but has only tossed 2 INTs this year. Can be dangerous with his feet, especially if defenses lose containment...a bit so-so with his arm. Longview has honestly seen better at the QB position this year than what they're about to see. Still, he can make you pay at times.

Defensively, it's going to be a similar scheme as we saw against Lone Star give or take. Difference is majority of the top end talent is on the back end rather than the front end like it was against LS. Basically, I'm saying that this is the most talented secondary we've faced since Lancaster.

The biggest question about Timberview is of course, strength of schedule. Which is a fair question especially when you consider that their margin of victories are trending a certain direction every single round.

Interesting matchup.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Teams to remember play in December. And we got #1 vs #2 in a "someone's 0 must go" situation.

For Timberview, the foundation of everything that they do offensively is zone read...trying to get defenses to freeze. They are no doubt the largest OL that Longview has faced this season but luckily, we've had some practice against some beef along the way including last night. Still, Timberview is massive up front with at least 2 FBS prospects up front.

TV almost has a similar mindset as Longview. Run first, and that opens up everything else. They have two RBs with over 1,200 rushing yards. One of them would probably have major offers if not for size. Titus Evans is a dangerous WR outwide for Timberview. QB1 is completing 57% of his passes but has only tossed 2 INTs this year. Can be dangerous with his feet, especially if defenses lose containment...a bit so-so with his arm. Longview has honestly seen better at the QB position this year than what they're about to see. Still, he can make you pay at times.

Defensively, it's going to be a similar scheme as we saw against Lone Star give or take. Difference is majority of the top end talent is on the back end rather than the front end like it was against LS. Basically, I'm saying that this is the most talented secondary we've faced since Lancaster.

The biggest question about Timberview is of course, strength of schedule. Which is a fair question especially when you consider that their margin of victories are trending a certain direction every single round.

Interesting matchup.

Great analysis. I especially like the last part. As the competition has gotten tougher, those gaudy numbers have come down.

• Like 1

It was kind of opposite for Reedy as opposed to last week.

Where as they faced a team that was CLEARLY better than them in Lancaster, where the Tigers absolutely out stated them across the board but at the end of the day it didn't matter because they were the ones making the mistakes with turnovers and penalties etc etc, this week it felt like Reedy was the one that was the better team but ended up losing it because of their first half mistakes.

Dropping a ball as you enter the end zone that ends up being a touchback, touchdown off the board. Another fumble on a punt that led to an extremely short field and a Timberview touchdown. Like, that's your ball game right there.

Timberview definitely will take penalties against stiffer competition. Had 11 last night, had 8 in Area round, 9 in Bi-District etc etc. So we need to capitalize on those.

But like I said, Reedy shot themselves in the foot way too many times. But still had a chance to drive literally 90+ yards in under 2 minutes to potentially have a chance to tie it up. But that two point conversion was no good so we get the Wolves. I fully believe the Lions would've won in OT had they tied it.

Timberview is a tough task, no doubt. But this is one that Longview should be winning if we are as good as we think we are.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I've seen a couple highlights here and there but nothing substantial. It's like their games are behind a completely invisible secret paywall or something. Reedy was in the red zone twice on them in the first half before turning the ball over. Their first drive, the back plain just dropped the ball going in and it went out of the end zone for a touchback.

I want to compare them to Lancaster of 2020 as well, but I'm still hesitant to do so without having seen anything on them.

There are only 4 games that I can find but they are on NFHS. They have Timberview listed as Arlington Timberview.  The one I am trying to find is Barbers Hill.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

There are only 4 games that I can find but they are on NFHS. They have Timberview listed as Arlington Timberview.  The one I am trying to find is Barbers Hill.

Weird.

Just like they listed us as Longview Christian last night vs PAM. Bizarre.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Updated first post with schedule for regional games thus far. Just missing the Region IV finale location.

Two Saturday games thus far, with LView/TView being the only Friday game.

Make it 3 of the 4 regional final games on Saturday.

• Like 1

This game is going to be a good one. I have been able to watch several games and get a decent look at BH and Reedy games to see the potential. Couple of things stand out to me.

Timberview Offense – massive O-line, reminds me of Carter ‘08, Westfield ‘18, and Lancaster ‘22. The O-line routinely gets to the LBs. They are good for a 2-3 yard push right off the snap. Our interior D line will have to play a magnificent game. We have got to make them commit more lineman to block our front 4. I was surprised how Reedy seemed to hold up late in the game when all others have wilted.  QB rotation and RBs remind me of Lancaster. RBs are fantastic. Short passing game is also spot on.  Going to have to be crazy disciplined on the Read option

Timberview defense – looks like two rotations, one massive, one with speed. They majority play a three man front and teams have trouble blocking it. Offensive line is going to have to be able to block those front three. BH and Reedy moved the ball against them but did have to mix it up. Allen and play calling is going to be critical to this game.

I think this is easily the 2nd best team we have played. Will be the best running game we have seen. Offense can’t start slow in this one. We are going to have to be able to move the ball and keep their offense sidelined. If they are able to sustain long drives, the defense will be worn down. If Longview could jump on them and force them to try and throw more, we win. In a game of match ups, their size is going to be a problem. I think it comes down to their discipline and our play calling. Our defense holds up if we can move the ball.

Longview by 10

Edited by kingwolf
  • Like 1

Really would like to see more of the BH and Reedy games…it seems TV can be hot and cold…want to see if it is a product of the BH or Reedy defense.

if those two defenses caused that many problems, Lobos are going to create havoc…just have to stay disciplined and on our assignments

Edited by kingwolf

• Mr. P locked this topic