Carthage vs Pleasant Grove at Marshall Dec 2 7PM

CDAWG68

Bulldogs vs. Hawks  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/2022 at 01:00 AM

Carthage wins, but PG is much improved even from midseason form when I watched them play Gilmer. The PG defense has played very well. Their biggest issue is going to be that PG offensive line…They play hard but don’t stand much of a chance against Carthage defensive front. Moving to the pistol has helped the QB a ton. He can actually have a second to see the field. PG will have to continue to roll him out frequently to get him out of the box in order to put together drives. PG skill players super athletic and can make plays, but that Carthage defense is the best they will have seen..ever. Carthage offense looked off, and if PG can get that same Carthage team that played last night, this is a respectable loss and just MAYBE a game. While I know this is one of the best defenses Carthage has had, I walked away from game last night thinking they were “beatable,” which is something I didn’t feel those dominant state runs..I know it was just one game I saw, but the offense looked flat for a game that I thought they would come out explosive as ever. Carthage by 14.

2 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

So very late in the season they completely changed offense scheme? Lol

They wanted to switch last year but had to stay with Wing T after Qb got hurt in game 1.  They went primary spread in district this year after the loss to Gilmer.  They have almost as many athletes as Gilmer and some big dudes on OL.  Should be a great atmosphere Fri in Marshall.

7 minutes ago, Unbiased1 said:

Carthage wins, but PG is much improved even from midseason form when I watched them play Gilmer. The PG defense has played very well. Their biggest issue is going to be that PG offensive line…They play hard but don’t stand much of a chance against Carthage defensive front. Moving to the pistol has helped the QB a ton. He can actually have a second to see the field. PG will have to continue to roll him out frequently to get him out of the box in order to put together drives. PG skill players super athletic and can make plays, but that Carthage defense is the best they will have seen..ever. Carthage offense looked off, and if PG can get that same Carthage team that played last night, this is a respectable loss and just MAYBE a game. While I know this is one of the best defenses Carthage has had, I walked away from game last night thinking they were “beatable,” which is something I didn’t feel those dominant state runs..I know it was just one game I saw, but the offense looked flat for a game that I thought they would come out explosive as ever. Carthage by 14.

Totally agree. The PG offensive line is the weakest link. 

Carthage should win this one, even with PG making some great adjustments after getting manhandled by Gilmer back at the start of October, it won't be enough.

I do think that PG will score more than one TD, they have a dynamic QB and he can throw or run, so at least the Bulldog defense will have to deal with that.

Hope both teams play a good clean game with no injuries and no matter who wins this game, I'll be pulling for them to bring home another State Championship for East Texas.

• Like 1

Carthage passing game has been sufficient but a little sluggish compared to past years.  If that could be improved, the rest of the games would be comfortable wins.  If it continues, I suspect there will be games with some suspense, at least for a while.  

The Carthage defense may give up some yards through the air but if that's used too much, there will be some pics.  

I think Carthage’s only 2 way starter was on crutches after the game last night…….If unable to play, would mean Dawgs are down to their 3rd tight end and missing the most versatile defensive player…….others will probably need to step their games up a notch. 

23 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

They wanted to switch last year but had to stay with Wing T after Qb got hurt in game 1.  They went primary spread in district this year after the loss to Gilmer.  They have almost as many athletes as Gilmer and some big dudes on OL.  Should be a great atmosphere Fri in Marshall.

Well that’s wild, changing offense mid season! But makes this game more exciting in my opinion. I’m very interested and curious to see the new look PG offense 

27 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

Well that’s wild, changing offense mid season! But makes this game more exciting in my opinion. I’m very interested and curious to see the new look PG offense 

Not a complete change.  Just think of it as PG having a set of plays in the Pistol to start the season, and then choosing to go full Pistol after the Gilmer game and adding to that set of plays.  Gladewater is the team that changes offenses every week!  😂

This is a great opportunity for Marshall to host this game. I know they will be a great steward to both teams and community. Quick question for the Marshall faithful who will read this thread. When is the last time Marshall hosted a playoff game this late in the post season? And how often do they host playoff games this late in the season? 

50 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

I think Carthage’s only 2 way starter was on crutches after the game last night…….If unable to play, would mean Dawgs are down to their 3rd tight end and missing the most versatile defensive player…….others will probably need to step their games up a notch. 

Yes for sure! Wondering if Hatten is ok too. He got his ankle rolled on Carthage last score when Dowden ran it in. He hopped off the field too on his bad ankle

7 minutes ago, michaelmyers said:

Yes for sure! Wondering if Hatten is ok too. He got his ankle rolled on Carthage last score when Dowden ran it in. He hopped off the field too on his bad ankle

Lucky for Carthage they have #70 to back fill on D, and multiple options on offense given their flexibility and multiple formations & personnel.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, michaelmyers said:

Does anyone have the stats from the game? CowboyandChrist??

One particular stat I an interested in is how many plays of their total did Carthage snap from Gilmer’s side of the field?  It felt like 75% of the plays were across midfield.  Gilmer on the other had seemed to rarely cross midfield into Carthage territory.

20 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

One particular stat I an interested in is how many plays of their total did Carthage snap from Gilmer’s side of the field?  It felt like 75% of the plays were across midfield.  Gilmer on the other had seemed to rarely cross midfield into Carthage territory.

Gilmer had 62 yards passing and 123 yards rushing. 
I have to rewatch the game again to write down where Gilmer took possession of the ball on each series. 
I know their first five possessions in the first half  were punt, interception, punt, punt,and turn the ball over on downs. 

• Wild74 changed the title to Carthage vs Pleasant Grove at Marshall Dec 2 7PM