Carthage vs Pleasant Grove at Marshall Dec 2 7PM

CDAWG68

Bulldogs vs. Hawks  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/2022 at 01:00 AM

5 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

They went to it AFTER the Gilmer game..........So, they have not been tested yet in the new offense..........So, don't really know what they plan to do against Carthage...........Sorta like Surratt had not used a QB draw all season, but breaks it out against a tougher opponent. 

They were in the shot gun most of the time against Gilmer. They did not throw very much at all. Gilmers D line dominated PG O line. 
Now PG did a good job in the first half stopping the run game of Gilmer. Second half was all Gilmer. PG did score 14 points in the second half. Final score

35 to 14 Gilmer

Okay so watched a few pg games and they basically are doing what gilmer has been doing last 2 weeks got a good athlete playing  qb he is not a qb the few times they do throw I would say 80/20 max anything beyond 10 yards was just basically throwing up a prayer and hoping his guy got it or no one did

24 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

What tickled me was Gilmer announcers said Cuff’s not a fast runner; he’s plenty fast. 

Cuff in the open field would surprise people with his speed.  
He gets to use it more often playing baseball. 

Cuff was running for plenty of yards, sure did look fast on Friday.  Lol. 

Also, heard about all this speed from one poster in particular (same one that said Surratt would trade Carthage players for Gilmer players, but just like I said it wouldn't matter how fast that one player was.  But you know who looked the fastest, when compared to the players he needed to outrun?  Paddie 👌

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

What tickled me was Gilmer announcers said Cuff’s not a fast runner; he’s plenty fast. 

I honestly didn't see the speed. He's a deceptively faster than it looks when he runs but didn't look fast IMO. May have to rewatch.

2 minutes ago, bansheefan03 said:

Also I see all over that Carthage only beat  #2gilmer by 21 so there not that good and calling for a pg upset but forget to mention that pg pretty much won by same margin against a non ranked not very good Aubry team 

Carthage had a TON of self inflicted mistakes and miscues. Plus Gilmer had a good game plan. Just not enough jimmie's and Joe's

4 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

I honestly didn't see the speed. He's a deceptively faster than it looks when he runs but didn't look fast IMO. May have to rewatch.

Right, he never got in the open field, but got through the line and then had to make some cuts.

I’d like people to see him in the open field, bet he’d outrun everyone to the end zone…..unless #22 from Gilmer is on the field!…..a little dig there

image.png

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

Just now, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Right, he never got in the open field, but got through the line and then had to make some cuts.

I’d like people to see him in the open field, bet he’d outrun everyone to the end zone…..unless #22 from Gilmer is on the field!…..a little dig there

image.png

I think Surratt was upset on the inside he had to run him like that. I know he wanted to save it lol

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

They were in the shot gun most of the time against Gilmer. They did not throw very much at all. Gilmers D line dominated PG O line. 
Now PG did a good job in the first half stopping the run game of Gilmer. Second half was all Gilmer. PG did score 14 points in the second half. Final score

35 to 14 Gilmer

You do understand that "the shotgun" does not necessarily mean "the spread" correct ??......And there are different formations out of the spread, including the pistol that P G uses a lot.....Watch P G versus Gilmer again and then watch P G versus Van - hopefully you can see a difference 

Hint..........look how close in the receivers are against Gilmer and then look at how they get a lot wider against Van(most of the time, not always) ---- just one difference

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bansheefan03 said:

When I first heard spread I was thinking they actually have a qb that can throw now but after watching a few games that's not the case just same ol pg just out of different  formation

The P G QB is quick/elusive and their offensive line is really small at one spot and not real big at 2 others........I think the P G coach was smart making the change(I think he is a good coach in general though)

9 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

You do understand that "the shotgun" does not necessarily mean "the spread" correct ??......And there are different formations out of the spread, including the pistol that P G uses a lot.....Watch P G versus Gilmer again and then watch P G versus Van - hopefully you can see a difference 

Hint..........look how close in the receivers are against Gilmer and then look at how they get a lot wider against Van(most of the time, not always) ---- just one difference

It won't even come down to x's and o's anyway. At the end of the day, even if evenly matched, PG doesn't have the bodies. We can sub in equal to somewhat equal talent. 

3 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Last post from me on this before moving on to Carthage / Pleasant Grove.

I stated before the game Gilmer could win if 3 things happened:

1)  Gilmer defense played lights out, with the D line in Carthage backfield often.  This happened.  #56, Ward, may be the best Gilmer defensive lineman in the last 20 years.  Incredibly quick to be as big as he is.  Gilmer D played great.

2)  Gilmer offensive line would have to play their best game of the year.  Again, this happened.  I don't remember any holding penalties, and the O line played great.  Ashton Haynes actually averaged 5 yards a carry.  The Gilmer O line did not by any stretch of the imagination dominate the line of scrimmage, but they did enough to keep it close and to keep from the constant 3 and outs that the Carthage Defense so often produces.  

3)  This would give opportunity for the Gilmer athletes to make some big plays.  This didn't occur.  There was only the one big play:  the TD to Tate.  The Carthage defense was so disciplined, so well coached, and so athletic, that plays against other teams which would have busted for big plays got shut down.  Yes, Rohan slightly underthrew Tate on two passes in the 2nd quarter, but it wouldn't have mattered against most other teams:  their CBs would have been so burnt there would not have been a chance to recover.  But against Carthage, it was  a different story.  And that was the biggest takeaway from this game for me.  The Carthage offense is good, but the defense is the best I've seen in 4A this year.  You have to be almost perfect to beat them.  

Hard to be disappointed with the play of the Buckeyes.  They didn't give up, they played above their heads, and they were competitive for 3 1/2 quarters.  I mean, Gilmer had the football with a chance to tie the game in the 4th quarter.  But it's just so hard to be a team with the talent and coaching Carthage has.  

Now, Please Carthage, go win state.  I would love to comfort myself knowing Gilmer gave Carthage a better run for their money than any other team in 4A.

I do hope you are right.  And I'd be very surprised if someone plays them tougher than Gilmer, but there are definitely some intriguing possible matchups left if Carthage can continue to win.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Most do not 

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

I did notice they used a lot of two tight ends and the receivers were in close. 

13 hours ago, EastTXFLEX said:

Tell me about the oline from Carthage. They have been under the radar. Who is who? Most improved…..

Three of the starters were also starters last year. Two of them are seniors and the other one is a junior. One of the seniors, LT Keystone Allison (#76), is 6-4 or 6-5 and 270 pounds. He’ll be playing on Saturdays after this season. The other senior, Devion Wallace (#68), is about 5-10 and 250 pounds and is the center. The junior, RG Johnny Lewis (#73), is about 6-0 and 330 pounds.

The other 2 starters are sophomores. The Left Guard is one of the Allison twins. One (#75 Brandon or #72 Braylin) starts on Offense and the other one starts on Defense. They’re both about 6-0 and 285 pounds. The Left Tackle is Cash Courtney (#50), who is 6-4 or 6-5 and 235 pounds.  With his frame, he will probably put on several pounds over the next 2 years.

I’ll leave it to the experts to critique them, but one can look at the games’ scores and get a fairly good idea of how effective they have been this season.

Edited by BevBrownJr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cotton84 said:

The P G QB is quick/elusive and their offensive line is really small at one spot and not real big at 2 others........I think the P G coach was smart making the change(I think he is a good coach in general though)

The PG OL not wearing #75 & #76 will have a difficult time blocking Carthage  DL.  Going to have to use #44 & #40 (or both) to help on the outside but that takes away another weapon(s) for PG.

3 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I cant even listen to our announcers lol....True Homers; Cuff looked definately fast enough and quick cutting as well. Was tough to bring down 

• Like 2

Ticket Information: You can buy for Adult or Student tickets, for home or visitor side. Carthage is on the home side. I believe tickets will be sold at the gate also, I do not have that information yet.

Website: https://marshallisd.hometownticketing.com/embed/all?fbclid=IwAR2CaEhR-CoBT8gLRceBcs3lHnAnmYkSwjOP9n7SpEd60fNBZ6cIFOkcFrE

image.png

Edited by CDAWG68
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

Three of the starters were also starters last year. Two of them are seniors and the other one is a junior. One of the seniors, LT Keystone Allison (#76), is 6-4 or 6-5 and 270 pounds. He’ll be playing on Saturdays after this season. The other senior, Devion Wallace (#68), is about 5-10 and 250 pounds and is the center. The junior, RG Johnny Lewis (#73), is about 6-0 and 330 pounds.

The other 2 starters are sophomores. The Left Guard is one of the Allison twins. One (#75 Brandon or #72 Braylin) starts on Offense and the other one starts on Defense. They’re both about 6-0 and 285 pounds. The Left Tackle is Cash Courtney (#50), who is 6-4 or 6-5 and 235 pounds.  With his frame, he will probably put on several pounds over the next 2 years.

I’ll leave it to the experts to critique them, but one can look at the games’ scores and get a fairly good idea of how effective they have been this season.

Keystone has a dozen offers so far, he will definitely be playing on Saturdays.