Carthage vs Pleasant Grove at Marshall Dec 2 7PM

CDAWG68

Bulldogs vs. Hawks  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/2022 at 01:00 AM

8 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Gilmer had 62 yards passing and 123 yards rushing. 
I have to rewatch the game again to write down where Gilmer took possession of the ball on each series. 
I know their first five possessions in the first half  were punt, interception, punt, punt,and turn the ball over on downs. 

The stat I’m looking for is how many snaps each team took in opposing territory.  I’m betting Carthage took 75% of their snaps across the 50 where Gilmer maybe 25%.

57 minutes ago, michaelmyers said:

Does anyone have the stats from the game? 

According to the game story in the Panola Watchman, Gilmer had 185 yards of offense, 123 on the ground (on 35 carries) and 62 passing (35 on the TD play). Ashton Haynes had 50 yards on 12 carries and QB Rohan Fluellen had 44 yards on 11 carries.

Carthage had more than 300 yards of offense, with 182 through the air. LaRandion  Dowden had a game-high 92 yards on 16 carries and QB Connor Cuff had 40 yards rushing. Totals for Matlock and the freshman Edwards weren’t given. Noah Paddie had 5 catches for 74 yards and 3 TDS, and Bradan Manning had 3 catches for 63 yards. There were 9 additional receptions by Montrel Hatten, KD Bell, et. al.

Edited by BevBrownJr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bansheefan03 said:

Problem for pg will be how long can they go blow for blow with carthage with so many going both ways

How many go both ways for PG? And how many of those are linemen? 

Playing both ways on the line against Carthage sounds like more than a full day’s work.

Edited by BevBrownJr

12 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

How many go both ways for PG? And how many of those are linemen? 

Playing both ways on the line against Carthage sounds like more than a full day’s work.

I really don’t see this being an excuse or issue. They may play a series on def then take a series on offense off. Play def and then rush once and they come off for 3-4 plays. They are conditioned well and constantly run guys in and out. 

1 hour ago, VonG said:

This is a great opportunity for Marshall to host this game. I know they will be a great steward to both teams and community. Quick question for the Marshall faithful who will read this thread. When is the last time Marshall hosted a playoff game this late in the post season? And how often do they host playoff games this late in the season? 

We had Garrison play someone in a quarterfinal...but it's been a few years ago.

Anything past the third round is pretty rare for Marshall simply because of  geography most seasons.  Generally we are too far East for match-ups.  Our only hope is when we have North/South match-ups along the 59 corridor.  

I'm going to head to Marshall after work and make it to this game.

On a related note....nothing is official..but Maverick Stadium is likely to get some pretty big upgrades this spring/summer in time for next season.

Stay tuned.

Good luck to PG and Carthage.  Hoping for an exciting game!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

Well that’s wild, changing offense mid season! But makes this game more exciting in my opinion. I’m very interested and curious to see the new look PG offense 

PG now runs the SPREAD with lots of boots and SOP’s.  I bet Carthage has never seen that😂😂  Surratt & Preston  better start researching this thing🤪

Edited by BlackShirtD

12 minutes ago, BlackShirtD said:

PG now runs the SPREAD with lots of boots and SOP’s.  I bet Carthage has never seen that😂😂  Surratt & Preston  better start researching this thing🤪

Drove by the school this morning and took a look inside the practice facility………The Dawgs were working on 2-7-2 defensive alignment……I was wondering why - now I know why. 

8 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

Lol it’s revolutionary! 

I don’t think anyone thinks the formation is revolutionary, I think PG finally letting a QB with a Texas Tech offer, and a RB with an Auburn offer play in space and make plays is what people are excited about. QB may be best athlete on field, it was a waste making him run the wing T.

14 minutes ago, Unbiased1 said:

I don’t think anyone thinks the formation is revolutionary, I think PG finally letting a QB with a Texas Tech offer, and a RB with an Auburn offer play in space and make plays is what people are excited about. QB may be best athlete on field, it was a waste making him run the wing T.

I think it worked out well for the best statistical QB in program history. Kid had almost 100 touchdowns from that boring offense. PG mauled folks up front on both sides from ‘17-‘19.  That’s the difference now.  

14 minutes ago, Unbiased1 said:

It is revolutionary for a program that’s been running the wing t. I’m all for it. I think it’s exciting when you have the athletes PG has

1 minute ago, EastTexasKnowItAll said:

I think it worked out well for the best statistical QB in program history. Kid had almost 100 touchdowns from that boring offense. PG mauled folks up front on both sides from ‘17-‘19.  That’s the difference now.  

Correct. PG also had a very big and athletic offensive line those years. Teams have adjusted to them as well, specifically ones with good coaching (Gilmer, Carthage, and Brock earlier this year). Also, that QB kid was a rare mix of talent, intelligence, and fortitude. Not saying the Johnson kid isn’t special, but that #10 was just a special dude… they don’t come around too often. 

25 minutes ago, Unbiased1 said:

Light Bulb moment

13 minutes ago, EastTexasKnowItAll said:

Also, that kid didn’t have the speed the Johnson kid does.

27 minutes ago, EastTexasKnowItAll said:

I always find it amusing when people say it is boring. PG had some big runs and big pass plays from that boring offense. Winning is never boring!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, swaha said:

I always find it amusing when people say it is boring. PG had some big runs and big pass plays from that boring offense. Winning is never boring!

Me too. Tells me they have no idea what is actually happening in that offense. 

• Like 1

Just now, bansheefan03 said:

So yall switched after gilmer game so really don't know how good yall are at it since let's admit yalls district was pretty bad and the playoff teams outside of there own districts were not really good either

100% agree. We don’t know. 

3 hours ago, Hawkeye55 said:

I really don’t see this being an excuse or issue. They may play a series on def then take a series on offense off. Play def and then rush once and they come off for 3-4 plays. They are conditioned well and constantly run guys in and out. 

If PG linemen play both ways against the Dawgs, I assure you they will be gased by the third quarter. 

5 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Not a complete change.  Just think of it as PG having a set of plays in the Pistol to start the season, and then choosing to go full Pistol after the Gilmer game and adding to that set of plays.  Gladewater is the team that changes offenses every week!  😂

So are they running their normal offense out of the pistol snap?  Or did they fully change the offense up?

Just now, cowboyandchrist said:

If PG linemen play both ways against the Dawgs, I assure you they will be gased by the third quarter. 

That is what a lot of people don’t understand. They get hung up on the skill players, and the game is won in the trenches. PG has some size but not across the board like Carthage. PG will have to play a mistake free game and have some things go their way to have a chance to win the game. 

25 minutes ago, swaha said:

That is what a lot of people don’t understand. They get hung up on the skill players, and the game is won in the trenches. PG has some size but not across the board like Carthage. PG will have to play a mistake free game and have some things go their way to have a chance to win the game. 

I understand where it is won, you’ve mentioned the 2017/2019 line 100 times. I agree those lines were better but this team has more athletes on it. Conditioning will not be a factor in this game. Will Carthage beat us in the trenches, maybe so but it will not be bc guys are going both ways. 

• Wild74 changed the title to Carthage vs Pleasant Grove at Marshall Dec 2 7PM