Quarter finals: Lovelady vs. Mart

RETIREDFAN1

Lovelady vs. Mart  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Quarterfinals

This poll is closed to new votes

On 12/1/2022 at 8:27 AM, Slickarick said:

Mart is a Machine. They have Tradition and expect to win. Thats hard to beat. They aren't unbeatable but it takes a lot of luck, great athletes, the right play calls and willing ness to give 100% till the clock reads 0. in the last 7 years they have a total of 8 losses. That is an incredible job at a small school where talent can be so fluctuant. The coaching staff has done a n amazing job in mart. the last 7 years losses are he same as the previous 3 years to that  combined. They have 16 losses in 10 years. Good luck Lovelady. 

Good season Lovelady. Mart is just a different level. Now you know the level it takes to have a chance to win it all year in and out. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I feel Carlisle would’ve been a better matchup for Mart, but being honest also would’ve been beaten handily by this Mart squad. Lovelady is a one dimensional team with virtually no ability to pass the football. I don’t know why the coaches for Lovelady left in a hobbled 32 when they might have been more effective going to a back up qb where they could’ve kept Mart a little more honest. It was clear that 32 was done. He was no longer a threat to carry the football due to what appeared to be a lower leg injury and that’s when Mart absolutely began to eat on defense. If I would’ve been Lovelady, 8 would’ve went to qb with 5 coming in for 8 and I would’ve at least kept my qb run (wildcat or whatever that is) an option. Hats off to Lovelady, but I’ve said it for years, teams like Mart, Refugio, Canadian, and Shiner play a different type of football than most up our way play. Timpson seems to have what it takes, but you know they’ve gotta get it done one of these next two years as well before that window is closed. Go ahead and crown Mart now. They will win it all. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

I feel Carlisle would’ve been a better matchup for Mart, but being honest also would’ve been beaten handily by this Mart squad. Lovelady is a one dimensional team with virtually no ability to pass the football. I don’t know why the coaches for Lovelady left in a hobbled 32 when they might have been more effective going to a back up qb where they could’ve kept Mart a little more honest. It was clear that 32 was done. He was no longer a threat to carry the football due to what appeared to be a lower leg injury and that’s when Mart absolutely began to eat on defense. If I would’ve been Lovelady, 8 would’ve went to qb with 5 coming in for 8 and I would’ve at least kept my qb run (wildcat or whatever that is) an option. Hats off to Lovelady, but I’ve said it for years, teams like Mart, Refugio, Canadian, and Shiner play a different type of football than most up our way play. Timpson seems to have what it takes, but you know they’ve gotta get it done one of these next two years as well before that window is closed. Go ahead and crown Mart now. They will win it all. 

Use that kid until he is gone you have to have a plan b. 

#8 for Lovelady was a tough runner that played physical and kept fighting. He probably would have been a good Plan B.  Wasn’t going to matter though last night.  Defense couldn’t stop -#2 or #15 all night. 

Well see what Burton can do against Mart.  They are also undefeated and will probably give Mart a closer game, but I don’t think they will be up to the challenge either.  

2 hours ago, bigtank05 said:

Use that kid until he is gone you have to have a plan b. 

You also have an obligation to recognize when he’s so injured that he’s basically rendered ineffective in what was a “lost cause” for Lovelady as early as halftime. At that point, it’s about protecting him (maybe from himself) because kids sometimes have that kind of heart and do NOT wanna come out especially when it’s their last game. However, this young man has more ball to play for (I believe someone said Lamar) and has bigger things to look forward to. This is not a bash on anyone in the Lovelady coaching staff or anything like that so please don’t take it that way. It’s just an observation and maybe an option that could’ve been looked at by maybe trying to put 8 back there because he does appear to run every bit as hard as 32. Good year for Lovelady and congrats on making it as far as they did. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

You also have an obligation to recognize when he’s so injured that he’s basically rendered ineffective in what was a “lost cause” for Lovelady as early as halftime. At that point, it’s about protecting him (maybe from himself) because kids sometimes have that kind of heart and do NOT wanna come out especially when it’s their last game. However, this young man has more ball to play for (I believe someone said Lamar) and has bigger things to look forward to. This is not a bash on anyone in the Lovelady coaching staff or anything like that so please don’t take it that way. It’s just an observation and maybe an option that could’ve been looked at by maybe trying to put 8 back there because he does appear to run every bit as hard as 32. Good year for Lovelady and congrats on making it as far as they did. 

2 at qb, 24 at full back with 32 and 8 at tailback rotating.