Globe Life Field

CrankyOldMan

If you are talking about the old open stadium. to me it is not great for football.   Looked to me like the main home stands don't even directly face the playing field.  We were visitors and from there the sight lies were just OK.   At  least a couple of years ago it was pretty run down tool.

46 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

If you are talking about the old open stadium. to me it is not great for football.   Looked to me like the main home stands don't even directly face the playing field.  We were visitors and from there the sight lies were just OK.   At  least a couple of years ago it was pretty run down tool.

Yes was talking about the old stadium.  Definitely looks like the stands, at least on one side, are a long ways away from the field.  Trying to fit a round square peg into a round hole it seems.  

Globe Life Field is the ‘new’ Rangers indoor stadium. If you are referring to the ‘old’ stadium where Melissa plays SOC that is Choctaw Stadium but was formerly Globe Life Stadium. Been to a couple games there and you are a little far from field but sight lines aren’t awful. Think the ‘visitors’ side is actually the bleachers that are in what used to be left/center field but not certain of that.

24 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

Loved it as THE Rangers Ballpark (better than the new tin barn). Awful as a football venue in my opinion. 

A06C3448-19AC-4C80-AC69-CD4B902B5540.jpeg

Who plays there now? Crazy as it sounds, I took in a Rangers game there the first year it was open. Had seats in the third deck above home plate. Left with a nosebleed and went to Hooters lol. 

• LOL! 2

47 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

Loved it as THE Rangers Ballpark (better than the new tin barn). Awful as a football venue in my opinion. 

A06C3448-19AC-4C80-AC69-CD4B902B5540.jpeg

Looks like the old “Home Run Porch” would be way better to see the game than one side - but bet they don’t open up that section for most games. 

41 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Who plays there now? Crazy as it sounds, I took in a Rangers game there the first year it was open. Had seats in the third deck above home plate. Left with a nosebleed and went to Hooters lol. 

Besides playoff games I’m not sure. Really enjoyed seeing games there back in the day! Haven’t been to the new place. I’d just as soon have a nosebleed and head to Hooters myself. 😂🤣

• LOL! 1

20 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Looks like the old “Home Run Porch” would be way better to see the game than one side - but bet they don’t open up that section for most games. 

Exactly! I can’t imagine being on the first base side and being so far away from the game field. I don’t see the point. 

Arlington ISD uses the stadium for home games (at least until the new stadium on campus at Martin is built)

Dallas Renegades will play there and if UT-Arlington ever brought football back they'd play there..

I much prefer Choctaw to the new stadium when it comes to football 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

Arlington ISD uses the stadium for home games (at least until the new stadium on campus at Martin is built)

Dallas Renegades will play there and if UT-Arlington ever brought football back they'd play there..

I much prefer Choctaw to the new stadium when it comes to football 

I guess what I’m asking is why are two schools playing a 4th round playoff game there instead of one of the dozens of really good venues in the metroplex? I would think SMU would be a much better site for SOC vs Melissa. 

1 minute ago, trueblue82 said:

I guess what I’m asking is why are two schools playing a 4th round playoff game there instead of one of the dozens of really good venues in the metroplex? I would think SMU would be a much better site for SOC vs Melissa. 

SMU has parking issues and is probably more expensive....I can't speak to why the coaches made an agreement to play there as I haven't spoken to Coach Todd or Coach Nally 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Based on people who have played there, SMU is not a good host in a variety of areas -- regardless of how good the location might be.

I don't think either the new or old Rangers ballpark is a good venue to watch football, but I get it being an experience for kids to have at least once. I wouldn't do it more than every couple of years to cycle through a new crop of players.

Pulled up video one of the other playoff games in Choctaw.  Even the camera is so far away it makes the players look like ants.  Is it the home side or the visitor side that has the temporary stands that are just behind the players bench?  

Edited by CrankyOldMan

I watched a couple of games from the temporary side its not bad just odd playing a rectangular game in a stadium designed for a sector sport. I think there is enough room for stands of similar design on the other side too. Maybe  a little steeper but be nice to have equalish sides.