RETIREDFAN1
This post was recognized by RETIREDFAN1!

Mavchamp was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 25 points.

This thread is about everyone in East Texas 5A...Division I and II that's not called Longview.

The Lobos have been on a playoff roll for about two decades now....so they are clearly in fantastic shape then, now, and for the foreseeable future.

But what about everyone else? 

Obviously 2022 was grossly  disappointing for EVERYONE in ETX 5A.  They either didn't make the playoffs (Tyler, Lufkin) or they lost in the first round (Texas High, Marshall, Hallsville, 

Who do you think is trending up? +
Who do you think is trending down? -
Who is basically stagnant? X

and why?

Tyler (-):  The last two seasons for the Lions have been a nightmare and it looks like (some) people have gotten their way with the HFC leaving.  Hard to imagine a new coach will right the ship quickly for THS.  That's a tall order when you're contending Vs. Longview, Lancaster, McNorth, Lufkin, etc......

Lufkin (+):  This wasn't a ringing endorsement + for me.  Talent is lesser at LP than it was in the Outlaw years....but there's clearly enough talent for them to be making the playoffs.  And the sub-varsities should have the varsity in good shape the next few years.  BUTTTT.... grumbles are about the leadership of this team.  Will that hinder the talent they have?  Tough call....but the last couple of seasons are saying: YES.

Texas High (+):  I honestly think 2022 was a hiccup by THS.  No reason to think they won't bounce back in 2023.  Lots of talent returning.  Clearly the most tenured staff in the district.... and even in a down year... they still managed an (8-2) regular season and a district title.  

Marshall (+):  Coach Alvarez was one yard short from getting his first Maverick squad into the second round against an (8-2) team.  His hybrid wing-T had some early growing pains in September....but really took off about midseason and was averaging over 35 PPG.  A JV squad that went (5-1) in district play and a huge freshman class seems to have things headed in the right direction.  

Whitehouse (+):  They have returning players.

Hallsville (-):  What Hallsville's staff did this season was nothing short of spectacular.  They had the offensive district MVP in Mosley.  He's the type of generational player a school rarely enjoys.  He was their beast on offense.  Unfortunately he won't be around in 2023.  That's very difficult/almost impossible to replace.   Not to mention....for the last two seasons Hallsville's defense has surrendered more than 40 PPG.  Hard to believe the loss of Mosley and their defensive struggles is going to back 2023 as successful. 

Pine Tree (X):  Outside of 2020.....Pine Tree has been one of the most consistent programs in the district.....unfortunately for them....it's been consistently disappointing.  However.... with Mosley gone.... PT could be looking to steak that #4 slot back.  But they will have to do it without their star RB.  They are still unsettled at QB....and the one they had was very INT prone.  Their defense had a lot of issues too (then again...so did everyone else in 8-5A).

Mount Pleasant (X):  MP is a huge question mark to me.  When it was announced that they were installing the wide open NASCAR- type offense...I thought it was head scratcher.  Didn't seem to be an offense conducive to the type of athletes MP generally has.  The increase in numbers they had apparently evaporated as the season went off the rails for them too.  So who knows.... they could be improved...but we may see more of what we've seen from MP:  lack of depth.... and now they seem to have an offensive identity problem.

Nacogdoches (-):  Nac had to be the biggest shock/disappointment of the district.  There are grumbles in DragonLand about needed changes.  No shortage of athletes.  But an offense that was trying to do a little bit of EVERYTHING...but wasn't doing ANYTHING well.  They had no identity.  Rotating 2-3 QB's, switching offensive systems from week to week, bizzare play calling.  Turnovers and the WORST defense in the district that gave up almost 45 PPG.  Dragons have a lot to clean up....and with THS, Marshall, and WH all trending up....it's hard to imagine Nac has much room to move up....but with PT, MP and Hallsville...they might can challenge.

• Like 2

The complexion of football in Texarkana has changed since the arrival of Gibson at PG and PGISD becoming “open enrollment”. I think some athletes that may have opted to attend Texas High have decided to attend PG. This includes transfers in to the Hawk program and retaining athletes residing within the district. While the Tigers still have a lot of athletes, I believe PG’s deep playoff runs at a lower classification has a draw that historically has not existed. Where athletes were attending primarily 3 schools, now there are 4 schools.

Mr. P
This post was recognized by Mr. P!

"I'm awarding this post because I wanted to award the original post but stupid MavGrad beat me to it."

Mavchamp was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 26 points.

2 hours ago, bordertown said:

The complexion of football in Texarkana has changed since the arrival of Gibson at PG and PGISD becoming “open enrollment”. I think some athletes that may have opted to attend Texas High have decided to attend PG. This includes transfers in to the Hawk program and retaining athletes residing within the district. While the Tigers still have a lot of athletes, I believe PG’s deep playoff runs at a lower classification has a draw that historically has not existed. Where athletes were attending primarily 3 schools, now there are 4 schools.

We experience some of the same with that little 4A juggernaut just south of us. Maybe you’ve heard of them. 😂😂😂

• Like 1

Sad state until outside of Longview and Texas High , most can’t get out of Bi District. Lufkin being down only hurts that perception. Multiple teams make it out 4a but usually beat each other in the later rounds. Unfortunately in 5a you usually draw some juggernaut early on.

Tough year for many in East Texas but

THIGH will rebound and come back strong next year.  To much talent to slide downward.

MARSHALL-got a top notch coach who knows how to win and year 1 obviously had growing pains next year they may 

challenge big time

HALLSVILLE-fantastic offense offset with average defense they upgrade on D and they will be tough.

PINE TREE-has been trending up and should be in middle of playoff run next year

NACOGDOCHES-very good talent that needs to be utilized better but that has been Nachs problem for years.

MOUNT PLEASANT-history shows MP makes coaching changes often,  they chase one offense after another but give

little time to coaches to develop it.  Parent problem also big  that needs solution.

Transfers out of the Texas High program is not a problem.  PG is getting players, just about all of their star players from Liberty Eylau.  That is the Texarkana program that is clearly hurting.  Coach Gibson at PG has instilled a mentality in his program that is not as strong at Texas High.  Last season, grades were the problem at Tigerland and was probably an issue this season also.  I noticed prominent Tiger players who were not on the field in the bi-district loss against Terrell.  If their players don't care enough to study, first to improve their lives, and secondly to stay eligible for football then the Tigers are going to be handicapped every year around playoff time.  LE has the same problem and I know this because I sub there.  I know that the coaches try to monitor the player's grades but, in the end, it is up to the student.  During the season, the players are just waiting for game day and their grades don't matter to them.  If LE had their players that are at PG, both Carthage and Gilmer would be on the lookout for the Leopards and not PG.  The Tiger players must buy in to the totality of improving themselves with serious workouts in the offseason and, basically try to become a more well-rounded individual.  Also, off the field, family affluence plays a part in the lives of the players and that is something that a teenager cannot control or the coaching staff for that matter.  Lastly, no one in our district can control the strength of the other teams in this district.  Outside of non-district games, we all have to play within our immediate geographic area.  Tyler, Texarkana, and Longview are the largest cities in this area and everybody else, except Marshall are small towns.  Pine Tree is in competition with the Lobos and two other teams in the Longview area for players.  Tyler Lee and John Tyler are probably losing players to Whitehouse and Tyler Chapel Hill is the only program in that metropolitan area that has exhibited any winning consistency.  When our teams get the playoffs, we are all playing teams from larger cities or ones that are closer to super large cities no matter whether go West or South starting with the bi-district games.  There is not a whole lot that can be done to improve the state of 5A Div 2 football in this area IMHO.

I’ll have to disagree with you on the part that coaches don’t have any control on the grades. If, for consecutive years you get bounced in the first round because kids can’t stay eligible that is an athletic program issue than an AD should fix. Build a relationship w the teaching staff, have grade checks, start study halls and identify the problem kids that just don’t care well before the first round of the playoffs. Why are they being allowed to play so deep into the season when you already know they will not be eligible for the playoffs? Seems like you are letting 5-6 bad apples ruin it for an entire program. Im not saying it’s an easy fix but you don’t see that problem at very many other high schools or at the college level. 

The most disappointing for me was T-High and Marshall. The others performed as expected. Hallsville makes a good district run every 3 to 4 years. Nac hasn't been good since the mid 2000s. Mt. Pleasant seems to be a basketball school and was good when K.D. Cannon was there which I believe they were 4A then. Whitehouse is a baseball school. So it's to be expected. Pine Tree has always been on the receiving end of butt kickings. They made a nice run 2 years ago I think but other than that...nothing. They won't be dominant. It's just a hard place to coach or play. Similar to Vanderbilt being in the SEC.