#1 Timpson vs #4 Refugio

ttowngrad

Semifinals  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/09/2022 at 12:00 AM

Speaking from experience….in 2020 Mart vs Windthorst the best team didn’t win, but the hungriest did. 

In 2021 Mart vs Falls City, the most talented team didn’t win, but the hungriest did. 

I think across the board, Refugio will be the most talented team, will Timpson be the hungriest though is the big question. 

• Like 2
  • Roll Eyes 1

1 hour ago, wooderson said:

The best way to attack Refugio’s defense is on the edges. The are not big at the end spots and their corners are not real physical. If you look at highlights that is how Shiner scored.Since they are not big they stunt a lot to creat havoc with their speed. They play a base 3-4 type defense. Secondary is solid against the pass on passing downs but has been susceptible to play action.

Offensively I think you need to get them in obvious down and distance situations. Their sophomore QB is pretty solid but if you get pressure you have a chance to get a pick. They actually run two base offenses. The power to offset I and the Spread. Very tough to defend when they get it going. For instance they ran for over 400 earlier this year against Shiner but threw it 20 times against Holland and finished with almost 400 yards passing. Best way to play is like Shiner which is to play keep away. Refugio only ran 10 plays in the first half.  Where they can torch you is on play action or on first and second down with their wideouts when you play man on man on the outside because the safeties are normally playing close due to the run threat. Their Rbs vary from a scat back like Deuce Vaughn at K State and their 200 lb soph back that is the bruiser. The other 3 they run are solid and in between from 170-190. 

Hope this helps.

Thank you. That was a good break down. 

2 minutes ago, BigTweet said:

Speaking from experience….in 2020 Mart vs Windthorst the best team didn’t win, but the hungriest did. 

In 2021 Mart vs Falls City, the most talented team didn’t win, but the hungriest did. 

I think across the board, Refugio will be the most talented team, will Timpson be the hungriest though is the big question. 

I would argue that both are hungry. Refugio last won a title in 2019 when their current seniors were freshmen. Those kids feel the pressure of carrying on that tradition. They’ve come up short in quarterfinals the last two years. The hunger to carry on a tradition may be greater than the hunger to win the first title ever for your school. I see this being a really good matchup with the outcome hinging on which team prepares the best and does the best job of dealing with the short practice week. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BigTweet said:

I think a lot of people would disagree that Refugio is more talented across the board ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAhomer said:

People outside of East Texas may think Refugio is the more talented team, because they don't know about Timpson

Anyone watching 2A ball for the past three years is aware of Timpson.  I don't have a good gauge on which team is overall more talented.  Talent helps, but it will rarely win the big one without coaching, culture, team.

After watching pretty much every second of film I could on Refugio idk how this is gonna go. I will say this Terry Bussey will be the best player on the field by FAR. I can't remember the number right off the top of my head but Refugio has a back that is an absolute UNIT and he's not going down without every ounce of fight in him every snap. #7 is probably the fastest kid I've ever seen I'm guessing that's who y'all are saying won state in track last year. This is gonna be an absolute WAR. GO BEARS.

6 hours ago, Lambo said:

After watching pretty much every second of film I could on Refugio idk how this is gonna go. I will say this Terry Bussey will be the best player on the field by FAR. I can't remember the number right off the top of my head but Refugio has a back that is an absolute UNIT and he's not going down without every ounce of fight in him every snap. #7 is probably the fastest kid I've ever seen I'm guessing that's who y'all are saying won state in track last year. This is gonna be an absolute WAR. GO BEARS.

#27 Soph

On 12/4/2022 at 2:55 PM, Bear9T1 said:

We are not playing the “history” of Refugio or region 4.  We are playing your present day Refugio team and they aren’t completely ready for what’s about to ensue. 

Mr. Bear, here's the deal... this comment is of the same nature as what Waskom and San Augustine folks were posting leading up to their game(s) with Refugio, saying Refugio isn't "completely ready for what's about to ensue."  They talked as though nobody had ever seen a team like they were going to field.  Everyone knows how those games ended.  Point is, the smack talk is fun, but it's always good to temper with a little humility.  Also, those teams had more talent and speed than Refugio, but they were missing something.  My opinion is 1) they weren't quite as well coached (no slight to their coaches, but Refugio's are exceptional) 2) they didn't have the championship culture and mindset embedded in their kids and it's impossible to measure how much that helps.  I'm sure there's much more, but those stand out to me.

For this game... I think Refugio will find a way to win, but I know Timpson has what it takes and it could easily go their way.  If Timpson wins, it will be because they fielded an exceptional team that came together and got it done, along with a great game plan from their coaches.  I'll be surprised if Bussey doesn't get at least 2 long runs on them, likely a pick, and also Howard I would expect to have at least one big play.  

I'm born and raised East Texan and have said many times I would like to see an East Texas team get this done.  I'll be at this game and enjoy seeing some great 2A football.  I'll be happy for Timpson if they make it happen this year.  It's beyond old having R4 saying again, "same old R3," but up to now, they've earned the right to say that.  Tomorrow could start a new era.

Edited by Everide2016
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

Mr. Bear, here's the deal... this comment is of the same nature as what Waskom and San Augustine folks were posting leading up to their game(s) with Refugio, saying Refugio isn't "completely ready for what's about to ensue."  They talked as though nobody had ever seen a team like they were going to field.  Everyone knows how those games ended.  Point is, the smack talk is fun, but it's always good to temper with a little humility.  Also, those teams had more talent and speed than Refugio, but they were missing something.  My opinion is 1) they weren't quite as well coached (no slight to their coaches, but Refugio's are exceptional) 2) they didn't have the championship culture and mindset embedded in their kids and it's impossible to measure how much that helps.  I'm sure there's much more, but those stand out to me.

For this game... I think Refugio will find a way to win, but I know Timpson has what it takes and it could easily go their way.  If Timpson wins, it will be because they fielded an exceptional team that came together and got it done, along with a great game plan from their coaches.  I'll be surprised if Bussey doesn't get at least 2 long runs on them, likely a pick, and also Howard I would expect to have at least one big play.  

I'm born and raised East Texan and have said many times I would like to see an East Texas team get this done.  I'll be at this game and enjoy seeing some great 2A football.  I'll be happy for Timpson if they make it happen this year.  It's beyond old having R4 saying again, "same old R3," but up to now, they've earned the right to say that.  Tomorrow could start a new era.

R3 has had some good teams crash and burn against R4. I agree, until we win one of the semis, we can’t talk too much. If it’s gonna happen this year, Timpson cannot come out like they did against Cooper. I think a slow start by either team could  be disastrous. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JMS1971 said:

R3 has had some good teams crash and burn against R4. I agree, until we win one of the semis, we can’t talk too much. If it’s gonna happen this year, Timpson cannot come out like they did against Cooper. I think a slow start by either team could  be disastrous. 

Agreed.  Slow start could be doom for either team. 

Could cause coaches to do crazy things like going for it on 4th and long from their own 13.

1 hour ago, Bears8T9 said:

We’ve started slow for 14 weeks and found a way 😂😂😂

A few ways to look at that.  We've done it for 14 weeks and can do it one or two more.  Or, they've done it 14 weeks, but weren't playing against one of the top few 2A programs in the state. 

It could still be overcome by either team as they both have those abilities, it will just make it a lot harder with a slow start.

1 hour ago, Everide2016 said:

Agreed.  Slow start could be doom for either team. 

Could cause coaches to do crazy things like going for it on 4th and long from their own 13.

That’s scouting. He knew the db wouldn’t play defense.