#1 Timpson vs #4 Refugio

ttowngrad

Semifinals  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/09/2022 at 12:00 AM

8 hours ago, Lambo said:

I didn't watch this game. Not a single down. But I'm gonna go ahead and guess Refugio had no trouble running the ball up the gut and got as much pressure on Bussey as they wanted. If that's what happened then you know what happened. Without therwanger this would be like every other Timpson team EVER. Great athletes with no discipline.

Negative. Did not get as much pressure as they wanted on Bussey. He pretty much gashed them time and time again all game. However, Refugio also gashed the Timpson defense a ton running the ball. 

13 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Yeah Ernest Campbell is also very much football fast...geez

Correct.  He was the fastest on the field without a doubt, and that includes being the one that was the most "football fast."  I know some said otherwise in the pre-game talk, but he showed it on the field.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bear9T1 said:

Whatever man. We gave them all they wanted. Go back to your Damn hole you troll 

It's not being a troll.  He was just calling you out for saying 'Refugio ain't ready for what's about to ensue.'  I even tried telling you Refugio had seen it all and was prepared for anything, but just like many R3 fans of years gone by, you thought you knew better with ridiculous statements like that.  Timpson (really Bussey) was as good as advertised, but Refugio's culture of winning, never believing they are out of a game, and better coaching adds up to a team (kids) that knows how to close out a game when the pressure is on.  They expect to win the big ones and know how to do it.

Timpson on the other hand has been riding the coat tails of Bussey and he just didn't make enough big plays last night.  It's no knock on him.  Without him, they win maybe two playoff games.  He just needed more out of his teammates and coaches last night.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

Wrong.  The best 2A player went home, but the best team won.  That's why it's always better to have the best team.  

So Bussey the only one who scored for Timpson?? I bet Refugio was peeing down their leg when it was 14-0. If you saw the game then you know it can be said that Refugio can thank Campbell and go ahead and thank the little kicker. Bussey got those gashing runs with the help of his line, so looks like a pretty good team to me. Refugio was gashed by Bussey because Refugio obviously knew there was waaay more to worry about than him. If that wasn’t the case, they’d have keyed on him and shut him down completely but they couldn’t. Not taking anything away from Refugio, great win. But if Bussey doesn’t slip on the wide open 4th and 3, they most likely bleed clock and Refugio might not win this one. Bussey is a great player on a team every bit as good as Refugio’s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

It's not being a troll.  He was just calling you out for saying 'Refugio ain't ready for what's about to ensue.'  I even tried telling you Refugio had seen it all and was prepared for anything, but just like many R3 fans of years gone by, you thought you knew better with ridiculous statements like that.  Timpson (really Bussey) was as good as advertised, but Refugio's culture of winning, never believing they are out of a game, and better coaching adds up to a team (kids) that knows how to close out a game when the pressure is on.  They expect to win the big ones and know how to do it.

Timpson on the other hand has been riding the coat tails of Bussey and he just didn't make enough big plays last night.  It's no knock on him.  Without him, they win maybe two playoff games.  He just needed more out of his teammates and coaches last night.

What I don't understand is they really never got Vosky Howard going it was just Bussey left Bussey right Bussey up the middle.  IMO they rely too much on Bussey which is like you say a coaching problem.  Its crazy to me with all these "playmakers" Timpson had the only one making plays was Bussey I was really impressed with Howard but they underutilized him.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JMS1971 said:

Whose job is it to develop talent? Im not coach bashing, but Timpson was out coached tonight. No different than the 2021 semifinals game. I’ve already read a few other comments pointing out the little flaws with Timpson. Like it or not, but criticism comes with the job.

You do realize he was coaching against the best coach in 2a, possibly the state as a whole, so yes, they were outcoached last night.  Herring is on pace to be the winningest coach in Texas HS history if he chooses to keep going.  Timpson's coach has taken them where they've never been before.  Try to take a deep breath and enjoy the success Timpson is having and realize losing to a Herring coached team isn't unique to Therwanger.  The best thing Timpson could do is work to ensure Therwanger doesn't take a job offer to a bigger and more lucrative school, because they will come calling with the success he has had these last 3 years.

Edited by Everide2016
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

So Bussey the only one who scored for Timpson?? I bet Refugio was peeing down their leg when it was 14-0. If you saw the game then you know it can be said that Refugio can thank Campbell and go ahead and thank the little kicker. Bussey got those gashing runs with the help of his line, so looks like a pretty good team to me. Refugio was gashed by Bussey because Refugio obviously knew there was waaay more to worry about than him. If that wasn’t the case, they’d have keyed on him and shut him down completely but they couldn’t. Not taking anything away from Refugio, great win. But if Bussey doesn’t slip on the wide open 4th and 3, they most likely bleed clock and Refugio might not win this one. Bussey is a great player on a team every bit as good as Refugio’s. 

I'm pretty much in agreement with this statement.  It takes a great effort by the entire team(including coaching staff) to win this many games in a season, and then to be driving for the knockout punch to put the nail in the coffin when something totally unexpected happens that causes a complete shift in the flow of the ending. Kudos to Refugio for taking full advantage with an excellent long pass to their speed burner  Campbell.....and special kudos to him personally. It is what it is......highly charged playoff football between two excellent and highly skilled football teams at this level.  Great game.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JMS1971 said:

The middle wasn’t the problem. Timpson made adjustments on defense after the Garrison game and it showed. Centerville and Cooper didn’t have much success between the tackles. I will agree on the no calls, but that isn’t what lost this game

Have you ever considered volunteering your football expertise to these coaches you always have so much to say about, or do you just prefer to talk trash on the internet?

• Thanks 2
  • LOL! 1

6 hours ago, Bears8T9 said:

Got to eat my crow…. I picked the Bears by 20…… congratulations to the Bobcats good luck next week…….. but here’s my opinion for what it’s worth….. two great teams…. Two great coaching staffs…. 2 sidelines full of athletes….. one team no mistakes….. one team continually putting themselves behind the chains and couldn’t overcome….. not out coached not out played…. Just shot themselves in the foot continuously for 3 and a half quarters….. got to grow from this experience and gain discipline and jump that R4 hurdle next year!!!!! I’m all in for Da Bears!!!

I didn’t see the game what mistakes ??

You can’t define a team based on one game. Timpson has a great team but it just went the other way it happens. It makes me think of Longview out of all the success they have you would think they would have just as many state rings as Carthage has but they’re are some great lobos teams of the past who didn’t get it done. It Doesn’t make them a bad team. Timpson will be back next year I believe and hopefully they will get it done. 

• Like 2

My goodness I’m seeing a ton of MIGHTS… and a ton of IFS AND BUTS

first of all…. The first one is on a chickens butt!    And if ifs and buts were candy and nuts ..  we’d all have a merry Christmas!! 

timpson lost!    Stop blaming the coaches….

the game was put in #10 hands last night to drive down and win the game ..  a position every young QB dreams of…   And he slipped on 4th down… 

it was just a mistake guys….  One that can’t be made against a team like Refugio in the semis … 

the coach followed the game plan that got timpson to the semis ..  timpson just couldn’t execute enough big plays last night..   plain n simple 

1 hour ago, SwarmingOnEm said:

I didn't say Bussey was only one to score, just said best team won.   

I didn't say the Timpson line wasn't good, they did fine blocking for Bussey, I only said the best team won.  Refugio wasn't gashed by Bussey because "they knew there was way more to worry about."  They did key on him, but nobody in 2A is shutting him down.  If you don't get that, your football knowledge is minimal.  

Many have pointed out that if only there hadn't been "The Slip."  The Slip was unfortunate, but it's part of the game.  Even more so when a guy runs the ball 30-40 times, there's going to be a slip every now and then.  Speculating what would have happened without The Slip does no good.  Perhaps Refugio would have had a scoop and score on the next play.  We can play that out however each of us chooses in our own mind.

Edited by Everide2016

Regarding "The Slip," since many have pointed out Timpson perhaps wins without it. 

The first down marker was just inside the 28 yd line.  Bussey slipped down at the 33 yd line.  The commentator says, "Bussey had nothing but clear sailing in front of him," which wasn't the case.  Refugio had 3-4 defenders at the 29 directly in front of him.  We can speculate forevermore, but certainly a good chance those defenders make the tackle and we have the same result.  We'll never know.

What we do know is that Refugio took possession with 3:44 remaining and effectively drove the ball down for the win.  During this drive they had 5 players touch the ball on 9 plays, and a 6th player kicking the field goal, taking their first lead of the game with only 9 seconds left.  TEAM.

Edited by Everide2016
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, corrigancamden09 said:

And he slipped on 4th down… 

I truly believe this is the difference in the game. If he stays on his feet they get the first down and Refugio probably never gets the ball back or with not enough time to drive and score.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

Regarding "The Slip," since many have pointed out Timpson perhaps wins without it. 

The first down marker was just inside the 28 yd line.  Bussey slipped down at the 33 yd line.  The commentator says, "Bussey had nothing but clear sailing in front of him," which wasn't the case.  Refugio had 3-4 defenders at the 29 directly in front of him.  We can speculate forever more, but certainly a good chance those defenders make the tackle and we have the same result.  We'll never know.

What we do know is that is that Refugio took possession with 3:44 remaining and effectively drove the ball down for the win.  During this drive they had 5 players touch the ball on 9 plays, and a 6th player kicking the field goal, taking their first lead of the game with only 9 seconds left.  TEAM.

Chest pounder…congrats.  Your I’m East Texas through and through comment is BS!  You’re the one riding coat tails! Enjoy the ride, I see where you get your name from now.  Bear9T1 over and out. ✌️

Edited by Bear9T1

5 minutes ago, StaphClown said:

I truly believe this is the difference in the game. If he stays on his feet they get the first down and Refugio probably never gets the ball back or with not enough time to drive and score.

It was a very critical turning point in the game…  you can tell after he slipped, it’s like he knew that was it.. 

1 hour ago, footballfan232 said:

Have you ever considered volunteering your football expertise to these coaches you always have so much to say about, or do you just prefer to talk trash on the internet?

AMEN!  Say it louder for those in the back!!!!  

Maybe, just maybe, we can go this his job and criticize him......I mean, it comes with criticism, right?? LOL

I know sports are all about what should have been done, etc, but to openly criticize a staff after a tough loss is weak.  Very few people know the amount of time, energy, and sacrifice that staffs put in, especially those still playing on 12/8.  Let's do better on this site.......

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bear9T1 said:

Chest pounder…congrats.  Your I’m East Texas through and through comment is BS!  You’re the one riding coat tails! Enjoy the ride, I see where you get your name from now.  Bear9T1 over and out. ✌️

No coat tails for me.  I've been consistent throughout.  Just pointing out facts and giving credit where it is due. 

It's always a harder pill to swallow for those like yourself, @Bear9T1 , who tout their football knowledge and make ridiculous assertions like you did in saying "Refugio ain't ready for what's about to ensue."  I tried to break it down to you at that time, but you being the great Sage of Timpson Football, would have none of it.

Try to step outside yourself for one second and now with the benefit of hindsight, acknowledge how ridiculous you sounded in saying that?  Try to educate yourself a little more before next year and come back with some humility when your team is going up against a proven powerhouse.  Timpson may get it done next year, but it won't be because Refugio or Shiner "ain't ready for what's about to ensue."  They know.

And now trying to call me out on my East Texas roots?  Very nice touch.

Edited by Everide2016

A quick word before I return to my hole, My predictions of this season were definitely hit and miss, BUT  I told yall in the Cville thread that I didint see anyone in R3 beating Refugio. And well it held true. Timpson is legit and I truly didint see the blowout over Cville happening but it did... All I can say is the Bears have one more shot at it next season and if they can't get past the 5th again they may quite possibly go back to bottom dwelling hoping for a 4th seed appearance again.. D11 is gonna reload as they always do. You never know when SA and Shelbyville or heck even WS will be relevant again.. Props to their season though. Refugio is gonna thrash Hawley and put another one in the bank. Bears are gonna have to get more physical, I believe it's the only thing keeping them from Jerry world. Good luck to them next season and hopefully the success they have established through Bussey and Co. Will carry through even after they are gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bear9T1 said:

Lmbo. “Chest pounder” 

Edited by Eagleborn

1 hour ago, GATA18 said:

A quick word before I return to my hole, My predictions of this season were definitely hit and miss, BUT  I told yall in the Cville thread that I didint see anyone in R3 beating Refugio. And well it held true. Timpson is legit and I truly didint see the blowout over Cville happening but it did... All I can say is the Bears have one more shot at it next season and if they can't get past the 5th again they may quite possibly go back to bottom dwelling hoping for a 4th seed appearance again.. D11 is gonna reload as they always do. You never know when SA and Shelbyville or heck even WS will be relevant again.. Props to their season though. Refugio is gonna thrash Hawley and put another one in the bank. Bears are gonna have to get more physical, I believe it's the only thing keeping them from Jerry world. Good luck to them next season and hopefully the success they have established through Bussey and Co. Will carry through even after they are gone.

Timpson is a really good team and should be back in the Semifinal next year. But "without a doubt", Refugio is better. Region 4 is better. It has been proven over and over again on the filed with no room for debate. Unfortunately for Timpson, it sounds like we can expect Refugio to be better next year which will result in the same result as we have got for the last decade or so. 

It is quite shocking that folks keep coming back and making outrageous statements about teams they never beat. You would think they would keep quiet till they get it done on the field but they just keep popping off and then call you "troll" if you point out their foolish statements.  

• Like 2