5A Division I State Semi-Finals: Longview vs Aledo

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (14-0) vs Aledo Bearcats (12-2)  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Aledo in a close one
    • Aledo in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/10/2022 at 08:00 PM

RETIREDFAN1
This post was recognized by RETIREDFAN1!

LoboFan07 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 25 points.

longview.pngaledo.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (14-0) VS ALEDO BEARCATS (12-2)

DATE: Saturday, December 10th, 2022
TIME: 2:00 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
ALEDO BROADCAST: 92.1 HANK FM
VIDEO BROADCAST: Longview Gameday

longview.png SERIES TIED 0-0-0 aledo.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The two schools have never played a game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The two schools have never played at Longview.
The two schools have never played at Aledo.
The two schools have never played at John E. Kincaide Stadium.
The two schools have never played on December 10th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES:
First meeting.
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW:
The meeting of two historic Texas High School Football program finally comes to pass Saturday afternoon in Dallas, Texas as the Longview Lobos and the Aledo Bearcats face off in the Class 5A Division I State Semi-Finals. Longview, winners of 770 contests as they head into their 1,178th game as a program, face off against the Bearcats, winners of a state record 10-state championships, in ther first ever meeting between the two, and in only the second time the two could have potentially faced off. Longview and Aledo had a chance to face off in 2015, but Mansfield Lake Ridge defeated Longview, 56-53, that season a week before knocking off Aledo, 42-21. For the Lobos, a week after knocking off the state's #2 ranked team, it will be another big test as Aledo comes in ranked 3rd in the state and having won 12 in a row after opening the 2022 season with two straight losses. Longview, winners of 14 in a row, come in following a gutsy 37-21 win over Mansfield Timberview. The Lobos and Wolves battled to a 14-14 tie at halftime, before outscoring Timberview 23-7 in the second half. Timberview's 60-yard run in the third quarter was the first time Longview's defense had allowed points in the third quarter since the second week of the season against Marshall. Taylor Tatum's incredible season continued as he inches closer to 2,000 yards on the year. The junior rushed for 186 yards against the Wolves, pulling him to within 160 yards of that elusive mark. Only two Lobos have ever reached the 2,000 yards rushed in a single season mark. Tatum tallied five touchdowns, including four rushing. The four rushing pushed him to 33 rushing touchdowns on the season, the first ever Lobo to reach 30 rushing touchdowns in a single season. His 36 total touchdowns continues to set school records. He sits just 12 touchdowns away from tying the total career touchdown mark. The Lobos move into the State Semi-Finals for the first time since that 2018 state championship season, and for the 10th time in program history. This will be the 6th time head coach John King has headed to the 5th round. King is 3-2 in the previous five trips, winning in 2008, 2009 and 2018. His 2010 and 2017 losses came by a combined three points. Longview will be county on lady luck once again at Kincaide Stadium, as the Lobos return to their home away from home in the Metroplex. Saturday afternoon's contest will be the 13th time in their history, riding a 12-1 record at the venue. The Lobos defeated Frisco Lone Star earlier this playoff run in their first trip back to Kincaide in four seasons. The Lobos will be playing their second State Semi-Final contest at Kincaide as well. The Lobos defeated Denton Guyer, 49-28, back in 2009 at Kincaide in a game that saw Longview rush for 492 yards. Aledo heads to the State Semi-Final for the 9th time in the last 10 years. Last season's loss to South Oak Cliff in the Regional Semi-Finals ended a run of 8 consecutive seasons the Bearcats had reached at least the 5th round of the post season. This will be their first ever trip to Kincaide Stadium. For the Bearcats, quarterback Hauss Hejny is their everything. Hejny has thrown for 17 touchdowns and rushed for another 13 this season.

CLASS 5A DIVISION I REGION FINALS GAMES:
Aledo 42, Burleson Centennial 21
Longview 37, Mansfield Timberview 21
College Station 26, Smithson Valley 21
PSJA North, Corpus Christi Veterans Memorial

CLASS 5A DIVISION I SEMI-FINAL GAMES:
12/10 - W3 Aledo (12-2) vs W7 Longview (14-0) - John E. Kincaide Stadium (Dallas)
12/?? - R11 College Station (12-2) vs W14 Corpus Christi Veterans Memorial (12-2)/W15 PSJA North (14-0) - TBD (TBD)

WHAT’S AT STAKE:
The winner of today’s game game will take on the winner of College Station vs Corpus Christi Veterans Memorial/PSJA North in the Class 5A Division I Championship.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 14-0 (7-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (211-44 in 19 seasons) (Playoffs: 49-17)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 770-355-52 (Playoffs: 78-44-1)
Playoff Appearances: 48
Last Playoff Appearance: 2021, Class 5A Division I Regional Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - at McKinney Boyd - Win 36-10
09.02 - vs Marshall - Win 48-11
09.09 - at Tyler Legacy - Win 69-0
09.16 - at Lufkin - Win 56-7
09.23 - vs Lancaster - Win 21-13
10.07 - vs Forney - Win 46-7
10.14 - at North Mesquite - Win 42-19
10.21 - vs McKinney North - Win 49-7
10.27 - at Tyler - Win 42-3
11.03 - vs West Mesquite - Win 70-0
11.11 - Bi-District: Crosby - Win 49-15
11.18 - Area: Frisco Lone Star - Win 38-17
11.25 - Regional: Port Arthur Memorial - Win 51-7
12.02 - Quarterfinal: Mansfield Timberview - Win 37-21
12.10 - Semi-Final: Aledo

ALEDO BEARCATS
Record: 12-2 (8-0)
District: 3-5A Division I
Coach: Tim Buchanan (267-57-3 in 25 seasons) (Playoffs: 79-14)
First Year of Football: 1946
All-Time Record: 600-292-10 (Playoffs: 117-28-1)
Playoff Appearances: 40
Last Playoff Appearance: 2021, Class 5A Division II Regional Round
State Championships (10): 1998 (3A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2010 (4A DII), 2011 (4A DII), 2013 (4A DII), 2014 (5A DI), 2016 (5A DII), 2018 (5A DII), 2019 (5A DII), 2020 (5A DII)
State Championship Appearances (12): 1974 (1A), 1998 (3A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2010 (4A DII), 2011 (4A DII), 2013 (4A DII), 2014 (5A DI), 2016 (5A DII), 2017 (5A DII), 2018 (5A DII), 2019 (5A DII), 2020 (5A DII)
SCHEDULE:
08.26 - at Dallas Parish Episcopal - Loss 24-17
09.02 - vs Denton Guyer - Loss 44-14
09.08 - at Justin Northwest - Win 49-20
09.16 - vs Azle - Win 55-20
09.23 - at Saginaw - Win 73-7
09.30 - vs Lewisville The Colony - Win 52-7
10.07 - vs Fort Worth South Hills - Win 68-0
10.14 - at Burleson Centennial - Win64-21
10.21 - at Denton Ryan - Win 35-21
11.03 - vs Fort Worth Brewer - Win 47-6
11.10 - Bi-District: Killeen Shoemaker - Win 37-0
11.18 - Area: Lubbock Cooper - Win 45-21
11.25 - Regional: Midlothian - Win 27-21
12.03 - Quarterfinal: Burleson Centennial - Win 42-21
12.10 - Semi-Final: Longview

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: December 10th
Longview has never played on December 10th.

lobohowl2.GIF
Edited by LoboFan07
  • Like 2

Anything can happen. After all, we're talking about kids here. 

But I maintain my earlier prediction: Longview can only beat themselves.

Just play Lobo football, don't lose composure, hold onto the ball, play aggressive and focused, and we live to play another week. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Aledo is good. Really good. Best team we've played all year. They have a talented OL, good WRs, and stellar QB.... Gonna have our hands full. 

Have to disagree. I think Timberview will be the best team we will play all year.

Not saying Aledo doesn't have a good chance to beat us or anything. But we will not face a team more talented than Timberview IMO.

Personally think Aledo will struggle mightily with our speed and pressure. I have no idea how that QB for Centennial caused as many problems for them as he did.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Have to disagree. I think Timberview will be the best team we will play all year.

Not saying Aledo doesn't have a good chance to beat us or anything. But we will not face a team more talented than Timberview IMO.

Personally think Aledo will struggle mightily with our speed and pressure. I have no idea how that QB for Centennial caused as many problems for them as he did.

That offense is weird. I’m telling you. The angles and reads are all different from anything you see elsewhere. 

TV had some size and speed. Seems like they just lacked conditioning. They ran out of gas. Had bad 2nd halves all year. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AledoAlumni said:

Excited to get away from the slot-t, wing-t, triple option, ect run teams. We accept the challenge of bully ball. 

*Bully ball- Longviews version of we are going to line up in the I-formation and run right at you. No tricks, no gadgets, just big on big. 

Sort of. Longview doesn’t do much BOB blocking. We pull a lot of linemen and do the whole double team to rub off and get to the next level. 

We also hit the perimeter well. Our RBs are a scary combination of speed and strength. Aledo will have their hands full. So will Longview. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

That offense is weird. I’m telling you. The angles and reads are all different from anything you see elsewhere.

TV had some size and speed. Seems like they just lacked conditioning. They ran out of gas. Had bad 2nd halves all year. 

I mean, we no doubt made adjustments to what they were doing as well. Longview's defense completely controlled the second half outside of a single play that resulted in a long touchdown.

I feel like you're downplaying the W tbh. Regardless, we'll see what happens.

I have more than enough confidence in our boys to get the W this coming week. Especially in the rain, like it's looking like it's going to be.

• Like 2

Just now, JohnnyFootball said:

Sort of. Longview doesn’t do much BOB blocking. We pull a lot of linemen and do the whole double team to rub off and get to the next level. 

We also hit the perimeter well. Our RBs are a scary combination of speed and strength. Aledo will have their hands full. So will Longview. 

We absolutely have our hands full. But this team and our program in general is up to the task. No doubt LV is a very good team. Just might be the best in 5AD1 this year. But we are going to give it hell next Saturday! 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I mean, we no doubt made adjustments to what they were doing as well. Longview's defense completely controlled the second half outside of a single play that resulted in a long touchdown.

I feel like you're downplaying the W tbh. Regardless, we'll see what happens.

I have more than enough confidence in our boys to get the W this coming week. Especially in the rain, like it's looking like it's going to be.

Maybe. Dunno about downplaying. Timberview was definitely good. But that means nothing come Saturday. 

Dunno if I said it here at half but I said it to the people I was with- we would beat them on conditioning and that TV was getting squirly as it was. A lot of 3rd and longs converted in the first half for them. I said if we kept putting them in those that we’d eventually come up big. We did. Also, tackling was a lot better in the second half. I wonder if that’s cause of adjustments to the holes/angles where we brought pressure. 

Edited by JohnnyFootball
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BoyzNdaHood said:

Already arranged my room in D, let's go bo's

Please……. Take this down. Lol! Man, we don’t need to give the opps anymore bulletin board material to internalize and use as a voltage switch that we can’t turn off. It’s bad enough that John King REFUSES to put a damn team away when he needs to. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Quick said:

Please……. Take this down. Lol! Man, we don’t need to give the opps anymore bulletin board material to internalize and use as a voltage switch that we can’t turn off. It’s bad enough that John King REFUSES to put a damn team away when he needs to. 

I got cash money he will never see DFW. He's an unusual blabber. You will see.

He will stream and "act" like he's there. Take it to the bank!

Edited by Sportsfanatic1
  • LOL! 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

26 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I got cash money he will never see DFW. He's an unusual blabber. You will see.

I won’t bet against him. Yes, he is absolutely unusual. But, my main beef with John King is his fallacy of being the nice guy a little too much. He still (In My Honest Opinion) does NOT possess that cutthroat mentality when he has the headsets on to put a team out of their misery so-to-speak with all the weapons he has at his disposal.

(ie: the game against Mansfield Timberview last night) We’re up 37-21 and we are DEEP inside the goal line area and instead of him going ahead to put the dagger in Timberview and go up potentially 44-21, he tries to run out the clock and get too damn cute and gives the ball back to an extremely, LETHAL, quick-strike offense that has shown that they can erase a two-touchdown deficit in a matter of seconds.

If, Timberview scores quickly and ends up recovering an onsides kick, things would have unequivocally gotten interesting. One thing that his last name is synonymous with is, resuscitating the opponent and giving them unnecessary life. I be wanting to tell him SO bad, “Man, GD’it! Put this team away and quit “playing” with them!!!

Edited by Quick

1 hour ago, Quick said:

I'm saying I got my room for this weekend matchup

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1