5A Division I State Semi-Finals: Longview vs Aledo

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (14-0) vs Aledo Bearcats (12-2)  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Aledo in a close one
    • Aledo in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/10/2022 at 08:00 PM

Defacto 5ADI state championship is happening next Saturday in Southern Dallas County IMO. 

I'm not seeing the blowout prediction but if my 'Bos achieved that....wow.

Edited by ANTI
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Quick said:

I won’t bet against him. Yes, he is absolutely unusual. But, my main beef with John King is his fallacy of being the nice guy a little too much. He still (In My Honest Opinion) does NOT possess that cutthroat mentality when he has the headsets on to put a team out of their misery so-to-speak with all the weapons he has at his disposal.

(ie: the game against Mansfield Timberview last night) We’re up 37-21 and we are DEEP inside the goal line area and instead of him going ahead to put the dagger in Timberview and go up potentially 44-21, he tries to run out the clock and get too damn cute and gives the ball back to an extremely, LETHAL, quick-strike offense that has shown that they can erase a two-touchdown deficit in a matter of seconds.

If, Timberview scores quickly and ends up recovering an onsides kick, things would have unequivocally gotten interesting. One thing that his last name is synonymous with is, resuscitating the opponent and giving them unnecessary life. I be wanting to tell him SO bad, “Man, GD’it! Put this team away and quit “playing” with them!!!

You’re awful riled up over a hypothetical scenario that never happened. 

TV would’ve had to score 16 points. It had taken them 3.5 quarters to score 21. And even that was the most given up by our defense this year.  They’d have needed 2 TDs, both with 2 point attempts. He trusted his defense. And they did what he thought they would do. 

• Like 1

Lol at anyone who thinks this will be a blowout.  We are about to face arguably the top program in Texas at any level.  World class and wizard of a head coach. They have shown time and time again it doesn’t matter who is on the other side of the ball.

They look slower, not as athletic, blah, blah, blah…..so did Highland Park, Lake Travis, Austin Westlake, and other elite programs but we still lose….

I can guarantee you that the Aledo coach has our defense broken apart and will exploit every single problem we have….their offense is going to be patient and execute at a high level…that O-line should be as good as TV…we absolutely can’t start slow or give them a bunch of turnovers…

Edited by kingwolf
  • Like 5

Addressed to QUICK

HEY MAN IMO" PUTTING A TEAM AWAY IS WHAT MADE JOHN OUTLAW/LUFKIN DEADLY!!! When Outlaw coached Lufkin would put you away if the score was 7 to 40plus AND the entire team had his spirit and played with a merciless attitude... Wow! I miss those days... Lufkin hasn't been the same since the passing of Outlaw!!! Rest in Peace Outlaw----LOBOS 4-LIFE

Edited by KINGLOBO
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, kingwolf said:

Lol at anyone who thinks this will be a blowout.  We are about to face arguably the top program in Texas at any level.  World class and wizard of a head coach. They have shown time and time again it doesn’t matter who is on the other side of the ball.

They look slower, not as athletic, blah, blah, blah…..so did Highland Park, Lake Travis, Austin Westlake, and other elite programs but we still lose….

I can guarantee you that the Aledo coach has our defense broken apart and will exploit every single problem we have….their offense is going to be patient and execute at a high level…that O-line should be as good as TV…we absolutely can’t start slow or give them a bunch of turnovers…

Exactly what I'm saying.

In my eyes, this matchup is right up there with 1997 Katy, 2008 and 2008 Lake Travis, 2020 Denton Ryan in terms of playoff opponent difficulty.

It's just different playing these highly successful programs.

They throw tricky looks at you in all three phases...they execute everything, especially in the most key moments...they defend well...they play disciplined....

And you know what? They aren't always the most talented, nor the fastest. But are really well coached and smart. It's scary when the talent does exist though and this Aledo team has a DI player in every area of the team.

Now, Longview ain't chopped liver either. We're ranked #1 for a reason. Aledo has their hands full just like Longview does, which is why I see this being close for whoever wins. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, KINGLOBO said:

Addressed to QUICK

HEY MAN IMO" PUTTING A TEAM AWAY IS WHAT MADE JOHN OUTLAW/LUFKIN DEADLY!!! When Outlaw coached Lufkin would put you away if the score was 7 to 40plus AND the entire team had his spirit and played with a merciless attitude... Wow! I miss those days... Lufkin hasn't been the same since the passing of Outlaw!!! Rest in Peace Outlaw----LOBOS 4-LIFE

Man, you MUST be related to me or a clone or something. I have been expressing that sentiment for God knows how long. But, I get it. On HERE, if you ain’t giving John King praise and licking the center crack of his butt then your opinion is invalid. They’ll completely be hush mouth when I give him praise all while chomping at the bit to crucify you if you DARE to attempt to critique John King in ANY area where you feel like he could improve. Hell, I (along with millions of others) could improve in a lot of areas in our lives and that includes our own respective careers. But, I tend to forget what site I’m on over here……….

Edited by Quick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Exactly what I'm saying.

In my eyes, this matchup is right up there with 1997 Katy, 2008 and 2008 Lake Travis, 2020 Denton Ryan in terms of playoff opponent difficulty.

It's just different playing these highly successful programs.

They throw tricky looks at you in all three phases...they execute everything, especially in the most key moments...they defend well...they play disciplined....

And you know what? They aren't always the most talented, nor the fastest. But are really well coached and smart. It's scary when the talent does exist though and this Aledo team has a DI player in every area of the team.

Now, Longview ain't chopped liver either. We're ranked #1 for a reason. Aledo has their hands full just like Longview does, which is why I see this being close for whoever wins. 

Amen to EVERYTHING you just lamented! You only gain this type of perspective by being realistic and enduring enough heartbreaks to understand the totality of where your program is and what gaps need to be closed physically and metaphorically speaking to be elite vs just being very, good. It’s nothing wrong with being a fan without being overly, fanatical.

• Like 1

Anybody that thinks this program with 10+ state titles is just gonna let Longview have their way is crazy talk. I remember going down to Houston in 97 thinking oh we got these boys...and Longview got the brakes beat off them. Same as 08 with LT. Just saying Aledo is in the mold of those teams. Aledo is an elite program. They know how to win. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

You’re awful riled up over a hypothetical scenario that never happened. 

TV would’ve had to score 16 points. It had taken them 3.5 quarters to score 21. And even that was the most given up by our defense this year.  They’d have needed 2 TDs, both with 2 point attempts. He trusted his defense. And they did what he thought they would do. 

Did they kick the FG?  Up 16 plus a FG put it out of reach.

2 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Longview has a ton of talent year after year.  I won’t say the rest as it upsets the long viewers 

I agree to an extent. Longview proves it with consistent success. Only a few championships lack them from being a premier juggernaut. Always a contender so that says a lot.

So my initial thoughts...I've seen Aledo in person twice this season, I've watched multiple games of theirs this season.

They are a completely different teams from the start of the season with those two losses. Yesterday though, gave me flash backs to those early losses when watching them. I saw their game against Shoemaker, and while I thought they would win convincingly, they looked better than I was expecting. Yesterday, I was expecting to see that same Aledo squad from four weeks ago, but I didn't see it. It looked a lot like injuries were catching up to them, but I mean Centennial just did not have the horses to keep up for a full 48 minutes.

Aledo's QB is their everything. Everything goes through him. Yes, their backs are good. But he is everything for them. I need to rewatch the Ryan game because I do remember them getting pressure, but I think our D line will be the best they've faced since Guyer.

I think that is the real question for Aledo, how much have they improved overall since Guyer? Obviously they're not going to be facing a threat at QB like Guyer has. But Jordan Allen has shown he is serviceable this season, and he'll need to be continue to be for us to continue to win.

Getting the ball in Tatum, Johnson and Hale's hands will be paramount on Saturday, especially if the conditions are looking like they're going to be....which I think is what King wanted overall.

I struggle to see how they will slow down Tatum throughout the night. I don't think this is your usual Aledo team of the past couple years, I have no problem putting that thought out there. Not saying they are not an extremely solid and good, especially on the coaching front, team. But this is a game, if Longview plays their brand and style of football without a lot of mistakes we should be winning this season.

Last season or 2020, I do think Aledo beats us. But this group of guys, against their group of guys this season. Longview should be winning and is the favorite for a reason.

Our secondary will no doubt be tested. We've all known all season that if someone was going to beat us, it would be there. But, I also think we could get some picks on their QB if he put things in places that he did against Centennial. We have to get pressure and not let him have time to find #11, cause that's who he's going to 75% of the time.

Their O line is solid, but I have a hard time believing we will struggle with them like we did with Timberview's in the first half. But who knows, I've been wrong before and will be again. I just think this Longview team should be beating this group of Bearcats if we play our brand and don't make stupid mistakes.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, gtee2 said:

Anybody that thinks this program with 10+ state titles is just gonna let Longview have their way is crazy talk. I remember going down to Houston in 97 thinking oh we got these boys...and Longview got the brakes beat off them. Same as 08 with LT. Just saying Aledo is in the mold of those teams. Aledo is an elite program. They know how to win. 

Walsh’s Denton Guyer at Ford field.  Gave up a 3 score lead to lose in the semis.  Plenty of us remember those AwCrap jobs by King.  I hate seeing a more talented team get outcoached.  
that’s why I said Longview SHOULD win this game by 17-21.  They’ll be the far more talented team.

• Like 1