5A Division I State Semi-Finals: Longview vs Aledo

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (14-0) vs Aledo Bearcats (12-2)  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Aledo in a close one
    • Aledo in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/10/2022 at 08:00 PM

13 minutes ago, dfwfootballfan said:

My post wasn’t a personal attack man but look at the first two pages alone of this thread. Two people picked LV by 17 plus…you tried to be more objective, some others could follow your lead.

Honestly man I mean no disrespect, as I said previously ET fans are great.

Those people were not Longview fans lol

I appreciate you noticing be trying to be objective. Every team has homers. Longview gets a bad rep for being “arrogant” but I haven’t seen it here for the last 10 or so years. 

2 minutes ago, AledoAlumni said:

Probably not a list LV wants to be on but I honestly believe this team is state champion caliber. Just like '13 Ennis and '18 South Oak Cliff. 

Unfortunately you’re probably right. The game between these guys yesterday was easily the best of the day. You could see in the other games the athleticism take over early, especially DS vs Guyer, someone mentioned “out athleted” earlier…that’s exactly what happened in that game. Early on I thought LV had the upper hand and might do the same but Aledo responded. Two very very good programs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dfwfootballfan said:

Unfortunately you’re probably right. The game between these guys yesterday was easily the best of the day. You could see in the other games the athleticism take over early, especially DS vs Guyer, someone mentioned “out athleted” earlier…that’s exactly what happened in that game. Early on I thought LV had the upper hand and might do the same but Aledo responded. Two very very good programs.

Agreed. 

Aledo is just on a higher level. Cheering for them vs College Station next week. PLEASE shut them up. I wanted Longview to do it. But if we can’t, there isn’t a better team I’d want to do it. 

And I really appreciate the comments from the Aledo coach. Like Vandegrift, I’ll always root for them simply because of their coach’s attitude and opinions on Longview. 

• Like 2

I'm a say this. This has been heavy on my heart. The best team did not win yesterday. The best program won yesterday. If Josh Thomas, AJ, Chumley, Carlin, Peter, or Bivins was playing qb yesterday they beat Aledo with no problem. We already know what Haynes will do. A playmaker at qb would have taken the pressure off of Taylor. Longview needs a playmaker at qb to get pass teams that's able to shut your bread and butter down.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LionHated said:

I knew the failure or inability to get Hale the ball would be the downfall of the Lobos this season. Something looked off ALL year. He was too easy to take out of the game plan and it was nothing the opposing teams defense was doing to him. Timberview did it last week with single coverage all game. I believe someone overthought it and depended too much on the run game. Tatum is great but Hale is “different”. You force feed “different” the ball all game long. Aledo had nothing that could match up with him. It should’ve been as simple as “my athlete is better than yours, match up”. Even JT’s former head coach had this formula down. 

Our downfall was actually the decision to live and die by Tatum and Hale...which was evident from snap #1 of the season.

Inability to get others involved was a killer. Hale was not the only D1 receiver on the team. Tatum was not the only quality back in the backfield. We had more than the stretch play in our playbook. Nothing short, nothing intermediate....just bombs.

Sad.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I didn’t watch a lot of LV this year but I followed the results…I asked a question yesterday that I didn’t see an answer to, maybe it was on the DCTF app.

Did Hale get the ball much on jet sweeps at all this year?

To Anti’s point, and this was a huge factor in the Timpson/Refugio game, getting more than one or two playmakers involved in the game takes a lot of pressure off the O and puts it on the D. At this point of the season you have your go to guys, but if you can still move the ball without going into the teeth of what the D has schemed for, it makes you a more rounded and formidable opponent. That’s just my has been, late 80s, average athlete opinion. At the same time “Dance with what got you here” can be said.

So many what ifs this time of year. 

On 12/7/2022 at 5:04 PM, AledoAlumni said:

I've mention this and I dont really want to bring it up but Aledo has an uphill battle. Yeah LV is ranked #1. Yeah they have an elite running game. Yeah they have a defense that averages giving up less than 10 ppg. Yeah they have a cult following that travels well. Yeah LV has an extra day rest. Yeah the game is outside. Yeah its gonna rain. But the thing I am most concerned with is the Denton Ryan curse. 

Round 1- Denton Ryan loses Red Oak

Round 2- Red Oak loses to Abilene

Round 3- Abilene loses to Burleson Centennial 

Round 4- Burleson Centennial loses to Aledo

This trend is very real. 

Guess you managed to break the trend.

I do have a question about the delay.  Is there no discretion to continue play if there is little time remaining?  It seems to me you could have continued play since there was less than one minute remaining.  The delay was almost long enough to play a second game.

1 minute ago, HGWar6 said:

I do have a question about the delay.  Is there no discretion to continue play if there is little time remaining?  It seems to me you could have continued play since there was less than one minute remaining.  The delay was almost long enough to play a second game.

You can’t take that risk with kids and fans. People have and still do get struck by lightning. Is it likely? No, but man, what if it happened? I would not want to be the guy that said “Play ball!”.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dfwfootballfan said:

You can’t take that risk with kids and fans. People have and still do get struck by lightning. Is it likely? No, but man, what if it happened? I would not want to be the guy that said “Play ball!”.

Have these rules always been in place?  I played in the 80s and I don't ever remember games being delayed due to weather.  Maybe it's just me.

1 minute ago, HGWar6 said:

Have these rules always been in place?  I played in the 80s and I don't ever remember games being delayed due to weather.  Maybe it's just me.

I can’t answer that question but I would guess that technology advances since the 80s simply make things safer, not just in football either. I know at least in the early 00’s the rule was in place.

21 minutes ago, HGWar6 said:

The Denton Ryan curse was broken!

• LOL! 1

55 minutes ago, VonG said:

I'm a say this. This has been heavy on my heart. The best team did not win yesterday. The best program won yesterday. If Josh Thomas, AJ, Chumley, Carlin, Peter, or Bivins was playing qb yesterday they beat Aledo with no problem. We already know what Haynes will do. A playmaker at qb would have taken the pressure off of Taylor. Longview needs a playmaker at qb to get pass teams that's able to shut your bread and butter down.

In total agreement with this statement. 

44 minutes ago, dfwfootballfan said:

I can’t answer that question but I would guess that technology advances since the 80s simply make things safer, not just in football either. I know at least in the early 00’s the rule was in place.

That kid in Forney got struck by lightning in the mid 90s from a strike that originated something like 20 miles away.  They changed a lot of rules and such because of that. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

That kid in Forney got struck by lightning in the mid 90s from a strike that originated something like 20 miles away.  They changed a lot of rules and such because of that. 

Okay.  I had not heard about that.

2 hours ago, dfwfootballfan said:

Yes, I don’t remember any of these 6 mile away lightning detectors in the 80’s and 90’s.  You just played until you saw lightning.  I think the 30 minute rule is similar to the 6 foot Covid distance rule.  It’s more of a “feel good” than anything scientific.  

5 hours ago, Quick said:

I am just now seeing this and YES, unfortunately you are spot on in your analysis and according to your post here, you were dead on accurate! We have waaaay too many in our Lobo fanbase that REFUSE to be realistic year after year after year. They are too FAN-ATICAL to be objectionable or look at John King through a non-bias lense. 

He’s a damn good coach but, X’s & O’s wise, he’s nowhere near where he SHOULD be as a Head Coach and subsequently our football program gets shortchanged so-to-speak in reaching attainable goals like what happened last night. He’s too stubborn to change and get out of his own way and he’s doing a good enough job to the point that you really can’t challenge his job because he’s putting up numbers that other coaches could only dream of and he’s doing it at one of the largest high schools in all of East Texas and at one of the highest classifications. In my own personal opinion, John King is ultra-complacent, ultra-conservative yet ultra-consistent. 

But, his UNWILLINGNESS to want to be better and do the LITTLE things that will transcend him and this program to another level is what is going to keep us from ever winning another football title. As I have lamented before, John King is in his own way but, him being in his own way equates to him unfortunately being in this football program’s way as vain as that may sound to the die-hard King-ites in the Lobo community.

I'm gonna piggy back on this post because I shared the same thoughts on the other board. Even homer fans have to be realistic. You have coach who has been in charge since 2004 so you know exactly what your going to get. Being disappointed for doing things the way he always does them is odd to me. I understand the frustration but you know exactly what your going to get. In my opinion Longview is not known for execution in the last 2 minutes. I have watched them over the years they never seem to play with a sense of urgency and they lose a hell of alot more close games than they win.  I thought getting into field goal range was much more important than scoring a TD in yesterdays game.  At least you would have given yourself some options if you get the ball to the 25 yard line. Instead they went for the home run when everyone in the stadium knew who was going to be the target. Aledo was playing deep and it would have been the perfect time to run a screen pass. I also thought that Aledo blitzing on those last four plays instead dropping everyone in coverage was a brilliant move, If Duncanville would have done that against Northshore they would have a ring, Elite coaches do not make those type of mistakes. When you make the semi's every decision is magnified because the team your playing is just as talented as you.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Grainraiser said:

“ because the team your playing is just as talented as you.”

Was this truly the case yesterday? Many would argue otherwise 🤔. Elite coaching leveled the playing field or conservative coaching leveled the playing field…I guess two things can be true. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Grainraiser said:

I'm gonna piggy back on this post because I shared the same thoughts on the other board. Even homer fans have to be realistic. You have coach who has been in charge since 2004 so you know exactly what you’re going to get. Being disappointed for doing things the way he always does them is odd to me. I understand the frustration but you know exactly what you’re going to get. In my opinion Longview is not known for execution in the last 2 minutes. I have watched them over the years they never seem to play with a sense of urgency and they lose a hell of alot more close games than they win.  I thought getting into field goal range was much more important than scoring a TD in yesterdays game.  At least you would have given yourself some options if you get the ball to the 25 yard line. Instead they went for the home run when everyone in the stadium knew who was going to be the target. Aledo was playing deep and it would have been the perfect time to run a screen pass. I also thought that Aledo blitzing on those last four plays instead dropping everyone in coverage was a brilliant move, If Duncanville would have done that against Northshore they would have a ring, Elite coaches do not make those type of mistakes. When you make the semi's every decision is magnified because the team your playing is just as talented as you.

Let me ask this does Longview have the same success if another coach takes over in 04 besides king ?

1 hour ago, nacdragon07 said:

Let me ask this does Longview have the same success if another coach takes over in 04 besides king ?

I guess that just depends on who said coach would've been. But at the time, there was zero reason for Longview to not hire within.

One thing that we need to remember is King played a pivotal role in getting the Longview program back on track. We are one of the winningest programs ever...but we went through some pretty bad years post '97 for a few seasons.

Then the Louisiana crew showed up, rest was history.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

The lightning delay erased the momentum Longview had on that last drive in the final minute of the game.....end of story. In this particular game.....weather became a huge factor and ended up being the story of how this game ended.  

Does anyone think this game may change some stuff for future playoffs especially this round? Will more teams start playing indoors this last round so weather cannot be a factor? I agree that’s a huge blow as your driving and have momentum and then boom 3 hour delay. That’s tough on players, coaches, fans, and officials. Carthage/GR was a great game and would have hated to see that one go into a delay late as well. 
The Argyle/SOC game seemed like you could barely see 10 yards down field w the heavy fog.

Edited by Hawkeye55