5A Division I State Semi-Finals: Longview vs Aledo

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (14-0) vs Aledo Bearcats (12-2)  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Aledo in a close one
    • Aledo in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/10/2022 at 08:00 PM

38 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Not with our play calling. Wishful thinking imo.

King and his staff had three years with Allen. You should know his strength and weaknesses. Instead of trying to play into them, they just tried bombs. Stupid play calling ultimately ended Longview’s season. 

Lobos continue to be an amazing program that can’t finish when it’s needed. Is what it is.

I mean, both our TDs came on "bombs".  When you have one of the best receivers in the nation, throwing deep to him and letting him go get it isn't the WORST idea. You can get a PI call or anything else. I can definitely see what Vallery was trying to do with that call.

It isn't like running a different play would've done much else. Apparently we had a guy open on the 4th down but it was batted at the line (on a 4 man rush, mind you). I blame execution and play call all game more than I blame play call in the last 50 seconds. The inability to run all game against Aledo was our downfall. Tatum couldn't get around the edge as he did all year. Maybe it's cause he was hurt, maybe not. 

We wouldn't have needed a big drive with less than a minute left in the rain and against the wind if we didn't fumble on the drive before, for instance. Pinning it all on "play call on 2nd and 16 with 50 seconds left" is whatever. Shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with. 

Longview was lucky this game was in the rain, and Aledo kept it simple offensively, and relied on their defense to shut down the lobos in the 2nd half, which they did..had this game been at at&t for the championship..the lobos would have suffered the same fate as CS. As you all seen this week, teams like Aledo, and Carthage are cold blooded and relentless when the stakes are high..hence the multiple championships 

• LOL! 1
  • Stinks 3

45 minutes ago, SLCdragon05 said:

Longview was lucky this game was in the rain, and Aledo kept it simple offensively, and relied on their defense to shut down the lobos in the 2nd half, which they did..had this game been at at&t for the championship..the lobos would have suffered the same fate as CS. As you all seen this week, teams like Aledo, and Carthage are cold blooded and relentless when the stakes are high..hence the multiple championships 

So, if that’s the case where was your team at?

3 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Tatum couldn't get around the edge as he did all year. Maybe it's cause he was hurt, maybe not. 

Aledo was sealing the edge before Tatum even got the ball on 90% of those stretch plays. Aledo wasnt going to let us kill them with the same play that we were killing everyone else with. The backers took appropriate angles to minimize what Tatum could do. I told people going into the game that #3 at LB would be the best that we'd seen all year. Still, we kept running it over and over with no positive result. We had ways of neutralizing what Aledo was doing defensively....but I guess we had other ideas.

I honestly dont have a lot of bad to say about Tatum. If we had anyone else running the ball, we probably finish with 15-20 rushing yards. Tatum's biggest mistake in that game was the fumble.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

If Longview had a QB who can actually sling it around with success, theLobos become SCARY good real fast, especially with Hale, but those opportunities are in the past.

QB1 didn’t make a bunch of mistakes, but being stuck with ground and pound and not really being able to switch to a pass heavy offense as needed (like it was needed at the end of the game), hurts your chances. 

If you dropped Arch Manning on this team, of course we'd be dangerous. That goes without saying.

But we could've won it with what we had. 

• Like 2

Good coaches take take away or limit your main strengths. You have to have a plan B and plan C when A is not working. You then have to adjust to what the other team is doing. Alot of coaches refuse to change because what they are doing is what got them to were they are. Katy added the play action game to there game because after one year Cedar Hill limited their run game. They were totally out of their element trying to be a drop back passing team on the fly. Trinity is dying on the vine because they are still committed too being a running team when HS football has passed them by at the 6A level. You gotta open up the playbook when you play teams like Aledo and HP because their coaches know how to limit what you do best. Somebody hit the nail on the head yesterday when they said Aledo plays efficient football.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

Aledo was sealing the edge before Tatum even got the ball on 90% of those stretch plays. Aledo wasnt going to let us kill them with the same play that we were killing everyone else with. The backers took appropriate angles to minimize what Tatum could do. I told people going into the game that #3 at LB would be the best that we'd seen all year. Still, we kept running it over and over with no positive result. We had ways of neutralizing what Aledo was doing defensively....but I guess we had other ideas.

I honestly dont have a lot of bad to say about Tatum. If we had anyone else running the ball, we probably finish with 15-20 rushing yards. Tatum's biggest mistake in that game was the fumble.

Fair points on all accounts. Can't really disagree with any of it. 

6 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

King and his staff had three years with Allen. You should know his strength and weaknesses. Instead of trying to play into them, they just tried bombs. Stupid play calling ultimately ended Longview’s season. 

Lobos continue to be an amazing program that can’t finish when it’s needed. Is what it is.

The stay tuned...there's more

6 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I mean, both our TDs came on "bombs".  When you have one of the best receivers in the nation, throwing deep to him and letting him go get it isn't the WORST idea. You can get a PI call or anything else. I can definitely see what Vallery was trying to do with that call.

It isn't like running a different play would've done much else. Apparently we had a guy open on the 4th down but it was batted at the line (on a 4 man rush, mind you). I blame execution and play call all game more than I blame play call in the last 50 seconds. The inability to run all game against Aledo was our downfall. Tatum couldn't get around the edge as he did all year. Maybe it's cause he was hurt, maybe not. 

We wouldn't have needed a big drive with less than a minute left in the rain and against the wind if we didn't fumble on the drive before, for instance. Pinning it all on "play call on 2nd and 16 with 50 seconds left" is whatever. Shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with. 

Yet, we only did it once more the entire night and that was in the final minute of a desperate situation. And what I was saying, I wasn't calling out the play calling in the final minute. My comment (and comments since then) have been about the entire game as a whole.

Not a single screen all game. Barely any underneath play calls all game. No targeting of Tatum or AJ almost the entire game. It was just bad, all the way around. I still can't believe on 3rd and 7 mid 4th quarter, we're just handing it off...not even to Tatum or AJ but to a sophomore that had barely gotten any snaps all night. Just baffling stuff.

The entire play calling went ultra conservative after the Lufkin game on the season, and I have no idea.

Hoping it changes next season, but outside of having a D1 QB, we haven't shown the ability to have such a diverse play set. Doubt it will change next season. But we're going to need it to beat Aledo if we get back. If not, it'll just be the same outcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Yet, we only did it once more the entire night and that was in the final minute of a desperate situation. And what I was saying, I wasn't calling out the play calling in the final minute. My comment (and comments since then) have been about the entire game as a whole.

Not a single screen all game. Barely any underneath play calls all game. No targeting of Tatum or AJ almost the entire game. It was just bad, all the way around. I still can't believe on 3rd and 7 mid 4th quarter, we're just handing it off...not even to Tatum or AJ but to a sophomore that had barely gotten any snaps all night. Just baffling stuff.

The entire play calling went ultra conservative after the Lufkin game on the season, and I have no idea.

Hoping it changes next season, but outside of having a D1 QB, we haven't shown the ability to have such a diverse play set. Doubt it will change next season. But we're going to need it to beat Aledo if we get back. If not, it'll just be the same outcome.

Ooohhh I misunderstood.

Yeah we were super conservative calling plays. I’d like to think it was due to the rain but you’re not wrong- Starting about the time of Lancaster game, things went super conservative and never turned around. We know Vallery missed a game or two right? Did he miss more than we thought? Cause at times it did feel like different people calling plays. 

Regarding handing to a sophomore, what is the extent of injury to AJ/Tatum? 

38 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

And yet you waited til now to start your poor trolling efforts? Mmm okay. 

Not trolling, just stating my opinion, if that offends you, I don’t care, I’ll leave so y’all can mull over the what if’s and how cans.

• LOL! 1

19 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Aledo beat CS handily.  That would’ve been an easy win for Longview too.  Not to throw salt in a wound.  Why wait til the last minute of a game to expect a good play call to get one of the best athletes in the state the ball in space?  They should be doing that all year.  You don’t have to run the air raid to do it either.  You can blend those concepts into what you do already.  Not at Longview though

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 6:43 PM, dme1111 said:

I have not bragged in the greatness of Nederland. I have called for the current coaching staff to be fired. 😂😂  This is the worst condition I have ever seen Nederlands footbal program in.  It’s an embarrassment.  
I am currently pulling for our neighbor across the tracks PNG. 

Welp, that didn’t work out for you either, @dme1111 😂😂😂

Youre just a fan of losers, it looks like.