5A Division I State Semi-Finals: Longview vs Aledo

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (14-0) vs Aledo Bearcats (12-2)  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Aledo in a close one
    • Aledo in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/10/2022 at 08:00 PM

10 hours ago, dfwfootballfan said:

I didn’t watch a lot of LV this year but I followed the results…I asked a question yesterday that I didn’t see an answer to, maybe it was on the DCTF app.

Did Hale get the ball much on jet sweeps at all this year?

To Anti’s point, and this was a huge factor in the Timpson/Refugio game, getting more than one or two playmakers involved in the game takes a lot of pressure off the O and puts it on the D. At this point of the season you have your go to guys, but if you can still move the ball without going into the teeth of what the D has schemed for, it makes you a more rounded and formidable opponent. That’s just my has been, late 80s, average athlete opinion. At the same time “Dance with what got you here” can be said.

So many what ifs this time of year. 

Watched a few games this year and I saw Hale run a few jet sweeps. Not sure why they didn't run against Aledo since it was hard to get many yards between the tackles. Or run Hale in motion faking that sweep and running Tatum between the tackles. Surely the thought of Hale getting that handoff would of moved the defense around before the snap. 

10 hours ago, VonG said:

I'm a say this. This has been heavy on my heart. The best team did not win yesterday. The best program won yesterday. If Josh Thomas, AJ, Chumley, Carlin, Peter, or Bivins was playing qb yesterday they beat Aledo with no problem. We already know what Haynes will do. A playmaker at qb would have taken the pressure off of Taylor. Longview needs a playmaker at qb to get pass teams that's able to shut your bread and butter down.

What are Longview's options at QB next year? Longview's offense was already dangerous but a running QB would of been the difference yesterday. 

Outsider view……For several years now, Longview players play harder for 48 minutes of football than most teams…….seem to always be in good shape/conditioned……mental mistakes are normally way less than the teams they play…....the negative for me is on offense normally very bland compared to most elite teams. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, axeem94 said:

What are Longview's options at QB next year? Longview's offense was already dangerous but a running QB would of been the difference yesterday. 

It's prolly gonna be the back up Qb this year taking the reins next year. He didn't get alot of playing time and when he did he didn't look good. But I believe the job is his...for now. Rumblings bout starting wr opposite of Hale getting a shot also. Whoever it may be will have a plethora of weapons to play with. That's if coaching staff openings the offense up more than just tailback out of the I...and a fullback from the gun

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gtee2 said:

It's prolly gonna be the back up Qb this year taking the reins next year. He didn't get alot of playing time and when he did he didn't look good. But I believe the job is his...for now. Rumblings bout starting wr opposite of Hale getting a shot also. Whoever it may be will have a plethora of weapons to play with. That's if coaching staff openings the offense up more than just tailback out of the I...and a fullback from the gun

With all the athletes in the LV program I am certain that in the next couple of months someone will be identified, step up, and work hard enough to lead the Lobos to another successful season. How successful? Lots of factors will dictate that, but at the end of the day the program, the team, and the next man up will progress in the right direction.

• Like 2

If my son is one of the prospective QBs looking to take over next year, I hire a personal QB coach and put him in every available camp between now and Week 1 of 2023. 

This team is primed for another return.

Losing guys like Jalen, Jordan, Rougely, etc. are certainly gonna hurt. But we have so many returning starters and off-the-bench contributors with quality snaps, there's no reason for us to experience a significant dropoff. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

If my son is one of the prospective QBs looking to take over next year, I hire a personal QB coach and put him in every available camp between now and Week 1 of 2023. 

Losing guys like Jalen, Jordan, Rougely, etc. are certainly gonna hurt. But we have so many returning starters and off-the-bench contributors with quality snaps, there's no reason for us to experience a significant dropoff. 

2022 JV also has some guys too that were pretty salty with time under their belt come playoff time will help as well,pretty sure defense be about the same keep us in these games hopefully able to wrap up tackles ,and offense able to adjust better.

Edited by WolverBean
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I like the thinking here however my son would not get a private coach unless he is aleardy on someones radar, and as far as camps go, depending on the costs involved to get there and participate they would be limited as well.  That's because I am cheap...no seriously, a lot of kids do not have the resources to do those things.  Bottom line, if those things aren't going to guarantee him a scholarship I am saving that money for college tuition in this particular case. Mainly because players at LV will get looks if they are even a decent player, the coaching staff @ LV more than likely has the talent to teach/coach him well enough, it comes down to repititions and their own work in the offseason.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dfwfootballfan said:

I like the thinking here however my son would not get a private coach unless he is aleardy on someones radar, and as far as camps go, depending on the costs involved to get there and participate they would be limited as well.  That's because I am cheap...no seriously, a lot of kids do not have the resources to do those things.  Bottom line, if those things aren't going to guarantee him a scholarship I am saving that money for college tuition in this particular case. Mainly because players at LV will get looks if they are even a decent player, the coaching staff @ LV more than likely has the talent to teach/coach him well enough, it comes down to repititions and their own work in the offseason.

Lol, I'm cheap too, but rural cities like Longview start out behind the eight-ball when you look at the near-limitless resources communities like Aledo, Highland Park, etc. can draw from. We gotta find any and every angle we can. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dfwfootballfan said:

East Texas facing a huge disadvantage in the coming years.  There is an interesting article in today's Dallas News - 'Is population key to winning titles?'  Some stats from the article include that DFW's four counties - Dallas, Collin, Denton, and Tarrant are projected to have over 8 million people in 2030, a 22% increase in a decade.  It further mentions the success didn't come cheaply.  The median annual household income is $107,457 in Allen while SLC is almost twice that at $212, 415.  The state average is $63,826.  Additionally, of the 44 state champions and runner-ups in the two largest classifications from 2012-2021, 32 have a greater median income than the state average.  Nineteen had an average over $100,000.  A couple of exceptions to that are ones you can probably guess.  Galena Park North Shore and Duncanville whose median household incomes are $52,853 and $59,693 respectively.

Aledo's median income -  $129,012

Edited by HGWar6
Add information.
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HGWar6 said:

East Texas facing a huge disadvantage in the coming years.  There is an interesting article in today's Dallas News - 'Is population key to winning titles?'  Some stats from the article include that DFW's four counties - Dallas, Collin, Denton, and Tarrant are projected to have over 8 million people in 2030, a 22% increase in a decade.  It further mentions the success didn't come cheaply.  The median annual household income is $107,457 in Allen while SLC is almost twice that at $212, 415.  The state average is $63,826.  Additionally, of the 44 state champions and runner-ups in the two largest classifications from 2012-2021, 32 have a greater median income than the state average.  Nineteen had an average over $100,000.  A couple of exceptions to that are ones you can probably guess.  Galena Park North Shore and Duncanville whose median household incomes are $52,853 and $59,693 respectively.

Aledo's median income -  $129,012

IMO the disadvantage would be from median income as the statistics you have provided from the article obviously show, but that is from 5A and 6A right? I don't know because I haven't read the article. There is not a disadvantage in population, 12 classifications take care of that, with the exception of Allen, Plano, few other schools.  It sounds like a misleading article honestly just based on the title.  They should be asking the question of whether or not "living in highly affluent areas are key to winning titles?" because that is what the excerpt from the article you shared tells me. It doesn't talk about population as much as it does about income, which ultimately leads to resources that can be committed to training athletes and providing them resources to succeed at a higher rate than those who do not have the financial means they have.

Edited by dfwfootballfan
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I'm serious. You make it sound like Longview is Overton or some small town. Longview is a thriving community that has unlimited resources like those you mentioned. Longview is not a rural city. It's a good size city that that it's own identity unlike all the burbs in the major metropolitan areas. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 7:38 PM, Hagar said:

No dog in this hunt, just basing my prediction on the schedules.  LV has has an easier year.  I’m picking Aledo in a close one, but whoever wins it, it should be close unless one team gets TO itis.  From the fan’s standpoint it ought to be a great one.

Spot on

On 12/9/2022 at 6:28 PM, LoboFan07 said:

I mean, that is the one point they're actually right on.

We've struggled historically against the top programs, during their runs of dominance (which is why they were on their runs of dominance).

And when I say the top programs, I mean the Aledos of the world.

Lake Travis, the last two years Denton Ryan, Katy, Permian, Plano, even Westlake if you want to throw them in there.

We've talked about it at length in the past but Longview is a program that easily could have been up there with the likes of the amount of titles that Carthage currently has if things had fallen the opposite way.

Who knows what happens if Longview doesn't turn it over 4 times and give up two touchdowns in the final quarter against #2 Richardson in 67.
Who knows what happens if Permian doesn't nail a 60+ yard field goal in 75.
Who knows what happens if Sherman doesn't block a punt then score on next play in 76.
Who knows what happens if Longview doesn't fumble the ball away against Bryan in 84 at home.
Who knows what happens if the officials call an interception by David Henderson instead of giving a touchdown to Plano in 86.
Who knows what happens if Longview doesn't miss an extra point against Killeen Ellison in 96.
Who knows what happens if Lufkin misses a game winning field goal at the end of the contest in 02.
Who knows what happens if Longview's Chris Ivory doesn't fumble it four times against Lufkin in 04.
Who knows what happens if Decker doesn't miss the chip shot field goal against South Garland in 05.
Who knows what happens if Longview doesn't have the field goal at the end of the game blocked against Garland in 06.
Who knows what happens if even just one little thing happened differently in that first half against Lake Travis in 09 (I still think we were the better team).
Who knows what happens if Longview just runs the clock out against Denton Guyer in 10 instead of snapping it with 10/12 seconds left.
Who knows what happens if something as small as the wind was 3/4 miles less against Spring DeKaney in 11.
Who knows what happens if doesn't give up two defensive touchdowns against A&M Consolidated in 13.
Who knows what happens if Longview is able to punch in a score against Lake Ridge in the dying seconds in 15.
Who knows what happens if Kessler makes a field goal to win the game vs Midway in 17.
Who knows what happens if Longview is able to make an extra point vs Jesuit in 19.

Obviously every program has a ton of what ifs. But the times they take place for the Lobos has been quite high across our 100+ years of football, specifically in the last 55/60 years.

That said, none of that has to do with this year and this team. Aledo is facing a damn good team tomorrow, just as we are.

This post was mentioned by the LV gameday broadcast team during the delay. 

I don't know what all that has to do with what the guy said, though. I guess, "Longview lost to power teams during their big runs", but that doesn't really say much or bring much to the table. A lot of teams lose to them during their runs lol. We've also beaten teams like Evangel, Tyler Lee, and Marshall in the middle of their big runs. So I'm not really sure what the point was, nor what a bunch of "what ifs" bring to that point we were talking about...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I don't know what all that has to do with what the guy said, though. I guess, "Longview lost to power teams during their big runs", but that doesn't really say much or bring much to the table. A lot of teams lose to them during their runs lol. We've also beaten teams like Evangel, Tyler Lee, and Marshall in the middle of their big runs. So I'm not really sure what the point was, nor what a bunch of "what ifs" bring to that point we were talking about...

Yep.  Unless the point is that Longview only loses to good teams...  but that is a compliment if anything.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Yep.  Unless the point is that Longview only loses to good teams...  but that is a compliment if anything.

I can’t remember when they weren’t in contention. Sure you expect them to have some more championships, but the overall winning tradition speaks for itself. The Lobos  usually  only lose to Elite teams. 

4 minutes ago, Mojo1000 said:

I can’t remember when they weren’t in contention. Sure you expect them to have some more championships, but the overall winning tradition speaks for itself. The Lobos  usually  only lose to Elite teams. 

The crazy part is that Longview really started their current streak of dominance in ETX and most of 5A in 1996, unless @Lobo97 has something different.  They lost district to Marshall in 96, and miss the playoffs in 98, but I am pretty sure they were #1 in the state in 1998 at one point.  I believe after that is when they started their incredible run of district championships with only Texas High coming close to them at the 5A level, and a few runs by Marshall.  I remember covering a Longview basketball tournament for them when they lost in the state semis to Pflugerville.  I am not sure if they have had a losing or "down" season since that game which would have been 14 years ago or so?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

The crazy part is that Longview really started their current streak of dominance in ETX and most of 5A in 1996, unless @Lobo97 has something different.  They lost district to Marshall in 96, and miss the playoffs in 98, but I am pretty sure they were #1 in the state in 1998 at one point.  I believe after that is when they started their incredible run of district championships with only Texas High coming close to them at the 5A level, and a few runs by Marshall.  I remember covering a Longview basketball tournament for them when they lost in the state semis to Pflugerville.  I am not sure if they have had a losing or "down" season since that game which would have been 14 years ago or so?

I think 2000 was the last non playoff team , but that 12 5a district was truly a District of Doom.

• Like 1