Jump to content

5A Division I State Semi-Finals: Longview vs Aledo


LoboFan07
 Share

Longview Lobos (14-0) vs Aledo Bearcats (12-2)  

95 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

    • Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Aledo in a close one
    • Aledo in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/10/2022 at 08:00 PM

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Longview has a ton of talent year after year.  I won’t say the rest as it upsets the long viewers 

This is a myth that runs in east Texas for whatever reason. We have talent, yes. But it's not D1 talent like we end up facing deep into the playoffs most years. Our kids buy into the program each year. That's really all you can ask for.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, LoboFan07 said:

This is a myth that runs in east Texas for whatever reason. We have talent, yes. But it's not D1 talent like we end up facing deep into the playoffs most years. Our kids buy into the program each year. That's really all you can ask for.

It’s not a myth, it’s reality.  You just don’t want to believe after your own eyes have seen it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Walsh’s Denton Guyer at Ford field.  Gave up a 3 score lead to lose in the semis.  Plenty of us remember those AwCrap jobs by King.  I hate seeing a more talented team get outcoached.  
that’s why I said Longview SHOULD win this game by 17-21.  They’ll be the far more talented team.

Longview was not more talented than Denton Guyer that season. Guyer had five unforced turnovers in the first half that made that game what it was.

Now should we have won? Yes, but King wasn't the one snapping the ball was 11/12 seconds left on the play clock. Players have a mind of their own and for whatever reason wasn't listening.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DB2point0 said:

It’s not a myth, it’s reality.  You just don’t want to believe after your own eyes have seen it.

Ok.

You really think we should've beaten THOSE Ryan teams the last two seasons?

Throw in 2019, we were no where near as talented as we had been in 2018. It still took a hall of famer's son and a missed extra point to beat us, especially after losing our top running back.

Do you really think we were more talented than Waco Midway back in 2017? Again a missed field goal.

What about 2016? Yes I think we were the better team against West Brook, but King's not the one fumbling the ball. Throw in having the worst defense we have had in program history statistically.

2015, Lake Ridge was definitely better than us. But again a missed field goal ended it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

So my initial thoughts...I've seen Aledo in person twice this season, I've watched multiple games of theirs this season.

They are a completely different teams from the start of the season with those two losses. Yesterday though, gave me flash backs to those early losses when watching them. I saw their game against Shoemaker, and while I thought they would win convincingly, they looked better than I was expecting. Yesterday, I was expecting to see that same Aledo squad from four weeks ago, but I didn't see it. It looked a lot like injuries were catching up to them, but I mean Centennial just did not have the horses to keep up for a full 48 minutes.

Aledo's QB is their everything. Everything goes through him. Yes, their backs are good. But he is everything for them. I need to rewatch the Ryan game because I do remember them getting pressure, but I think our D line will be the best they've faced since Guyer.

I think that is the real question for Aledo, how much have they improved overall since Guyer? Obviously they're not going to be facing a threat at QB like Guyer has. But Jordan Allen has shown he is serviceable this season, and he'll need to be continue to be for us to continue to win.

Getting the ball in Tatum, Johnson and Hale's hands will be paramount on Saturday, especially if the conditions are looking like they're going to be....which I think is what King wanted overall.

I struggle to see how they will slow down Tatum throughout the night. I don't think this is your usual Aledo team of the past couple years, I have no problem putting that thought out there. Not saying they are not an extremely solid and good, especially on the coaching front, team. But this is a game, if Longview plays their brand and style of football without a lot of mistakes we should be winning this season.

Last season or 2020, I do think Aledo beats us. But this group of guys, against their group of guys this season. Longview should be winning and is the favorite for a reason.

Our secondary will no doubt be tested. We've all known all season that if someone was going to beat us, it would be there. But, I also think we could get some picks on their QB if he put things in places that he did against Centennial. We have to get pressure and not let him have time to find #11, cause that's who he's going to 75% of the time.

Their O line is solid, but I have a hard time believing we will struggle with them like we did with Timberview's in the first half. But who knows, I've been wrong before and will be again. I just think this Longview team should be beating this group of Bearcats if we play our brand and don't make stupid mistakes.

I’ve not been impressed in years past. Like you said their offense typically runs through one player mostly.  They are typically very disciplined and fundamentally sound, but I’ve never really been wowed by anything they do.  When I’ve seen them they’re very basic on offense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Longview was not more talented than Denton Guyer that season. Guyer had five unforced turnovers in the first half that made that game what it was.

Now should we have won? Yes, but King wasn't the one snapping the ball was 11/12 seconds left on the play clock. Players have a mind of their own and for whatever reason wasn't listening.

Longview was up by 14 or 17 with a few minutes to go.  They passed incompletions and punted the ball after running in them all day long.  I was there, I watched it.  All the Lobo fans around me were bellyaching about King giving it away.  Had he kept running the ball they beat Guyer that day.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Ok.

You really think we should've beaten THOSE Ryan teams the last two seasons?

Throw in 2019, we were no where near as talented as we had been in 2018. It still took a hall of famer's son and a missed extra point to beat us, especially after losing our top running back.

Do you really think we were more talented than Waco Midway back in 2017? Again a missed field goal.

What about 2016? Yes I think we were the better team against West Brook, but King's not the one fumbling the ball. Throw in having the worst defense we have had in program history statistically.

2015, Lake Ridge was definitely better than us. But again a missed field goal ended it.

I think you’re used to losing games you shouldn’t have and making excuses.  Longview should win Saturday.  They will be more talented than Aledo.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The difference between Aledo and the other teams LV has faced so far is Aledo typically does not beat themselves. Crosby was tied after the 1st quarter then imploded, LS was down by a couple at the half and then it ran away from them, PAM had a really good start potentially going up 14-0 but got in their own way, and TV had their chances to tie things up in the 3rd but ran outta gas. Granted LV was a very big reason for all this but those teams fell apart internally. Aledo wont quit or help LV beat them. If LV wins its because they earned every inch and were the better team. I'll say LV had a mental edge over all those teams, that wont be the case against Aledo. Our kids have grown up watching and playing in big time games. They will be up for the challenge for 48 minutes. If LV starts slow, has a lot of penalties, or turns the ball over then it might be a different outcome than yall are hoping for. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Longview was up by 14 or 17 with a few minutes to go.  They passed incompletions and punted the ball after running in them all day long.  I was there, I watched it.  All the Lobo fans around me were bellyaching about King giving it away.  Had he kept running the ball they beat Guyer that day.

We were up 27-21 with 6 minutes to go.

I'm not saying we shouldn't of won that one. I'm agreeing. But you were talking about talent. That Guyer team was tremendously talented. Our future NFL player (ha) made bone headed decisions to snap the ball at 12/13 seconds left instead of draining the clock where we would never have had to punt the ball in the first place.

Let people complain about King all they want, he's a top 50 head coach of all time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AledoAlumni said:

Aledo wont quit or help LV beat them.

If the Aledo team that played yesterday in that second and third quarter shows up on Saturday, I'll have to disagree. They went out of their way to help Centennial.

I would've liked to see what would've happened had BC not gotten away from running the ball after stopping Aledo at 21 all. Why they started passing is beyond me, but they did and obviously they shouldn't of. Easy stops for Aledo. Then Aledo made them pay.

I do agree, Longview needs to seize the chances they get on Saturday. That is what they've done well all season, minus that one drive against TView late in the 2nd quarter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

We were up 27-21 with 6 minutes to go.

I'm not saying we shouldn't of won that one. I'm agreeing. But you were talking about talent. That Guyer team was tremendously talented. Our future NFL player (ha) made bone headed decisions to snap the ball at 12/13 seconds left instead of draining the clock where we would never have had to punt the ball in the first place.

Let people complain about King all they want, he's a top 50 head coach of all time.

Yep, they scored with 5:51 to make it a 1-possession game.  Longview was up by 13 with about 7:00 to go.  You forget, I was there.  Longview led by 17 in the second half

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

If the Aledo team that played yesterday in that second and third quarter shows up on Saturday, I'll have to disagree. They went out of their way to help Centennial.

I would've liked to see what would've happened had BC not gotten away from running the ball after stopping Aledo at 21 all. Why they started passing is beyond me, but they did and obviously they shouldn't of. Easy stops for Aledo. Then Aledo made them pay.

I do agree, Longview needs to seize the chances they get on Saturday. That is what they've done well all season, minus that one drive against TView late in the 2nd quarter.

You have to think though we had already played them once this season. To me its different than playing a team for the 1st time. And Centennial really had the advantage because they knew what they needed to work on. Aledo had to made adjustments to their gameplan in real time. We started hot then slowed down. Its actually happened these past two weeks. Aledo cant afford to do that against LV. We have to start hot and never look back. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Longview has a ton of talent year after year.  

Longview doesn't have THIS amount of talent year after year.

Heck, the last time that Longview had a backfield/WR combo remotely comparable to what we have now with Tatum/Alijah/Hale was 2004 with McGee/Ivory/Kelly. That isn't year after year.

Also, Aledo will have 11 players on their sidelines that are getting DI attention....one of them is a 4* committed to our beloved Longhorns. I'd wager to say that both teams are pretty talented...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

I hate seeing a more talented team get outcoached.  


  They’ll be the far more talented team.

Longview was more talented than Guyer in 2010? I beg to differ. Just because we should've won and had a decent lead at some point in that game does not mean we were the most talented.

That Guyer team was arguably more talented than some of the ones that won state in the years following. 

Also not following on the whole "far more talented" than Aledo. Both teams are pretty talented...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

I think you’re used to losing games you shouldn’t have and making excuses.  Longview should win Saturday.  They will be more talented than Aledo.

Idk man. I can kinda understand what you’re trying to say. But. If there were any big schools in East Texas that get “out coached” or lose even though they have the more talented team it would be Tyler and Lufkin. Not Longview. You ever wonder why Longview is the only big school in East Texas with the consistency they have? A lot of y’all forget, we don’t have the same advantages here in little ol East Texas that those DFW and houston schools have. We don’t have hundreds of thousands of people, schools popping up every other week, and certainly don’t have the economies to bring “random” talent into the school district to help us win games. Call it recruiting or whatever you want. We get very few of those around these parts. It’s not a yearly thing. Our teams are home grown. Longview is successful because of the coaching 100%. John King has built a program that those kids grow up wanting to play in. It’s a winning culture there.  Have they won 5+ titles like some of the other successful programs? No.. Doesn’t mean they were out coached along the way. There might have been bad calls here and there. Everybody has those. Sometimes the other teams are a mistake better. It is what it is. Lufkin was better than most of the state from 1999-2007. We have 1 state championship to show for it. What happened a few years after that? Our coach unexpectedly died, and we fell off. Coaching is everything for us out here. Obviously you have to have talent as well, which Longview does. But John King gets the absolute most out of those Longview boys. Half of their teams the last 15 years  probably wouldn’t have won a playoff game if they had Lufkins staff. He does the very best he can with what he has to work with. He’s done a fine job. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

If the Aledo team that played yesterday in that second and third quarter shows up on Saturday, I'll have to disagree. They went out of their way to help Centennial.

I would've liked to see what would've happened had BC not gotten away from running the ball after stopping Aledo at 21 all. Why they started passing is beyond me, but they did and obviously they shouldn't of. Easy stops for Aledo. Then Aledo made them pay.

I do agree, Longview needs to seize the chances they get on Saturday. That is what they've done well all season, minus that one drive against TView late in the 2nd quarter.

Have to stop looking at one game as any indication. One game doesn’t define a team. I fully expect this to be our toughest test all season. I do agree with an earlier assessment that Aledo’s offense runs through one player, their QB; but he’s a huge threat. If the pass isn’t there, he can beat you with his legs. 
We will need to be prepared to play a full 4 quarters. Thankfully, Timberview gave us a test if that last week. I also believe we cannot afford to start slow in this one, or back ourselves up with penalties. As I’ve said all season, the only team I see beating Longview in his year is Longview. 
 

The winner of this game will be the 5A D1 State Champ. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Quick said:

Man, you MUST be related to me or a clone or something. I have been expressing that sentiment for God knows how long. But, I get it. On HERE, if you ain’t giving John King praise and licking the center crack of his butt then your opinion is invalid. They’ll completely be hush mouth when I give him praise all while chomping at the bit to crucify you if you DARE to attempt to critique John King in ANY area where you feel like he could improve. Hell, I (along with millions of others) could improve in a lot of areas in our lives and that includes our own respective careers. But, I tend to forget what site I’m on over here……….

I mean I disagreed with you. I didn’t try to shut you up or insult you at all. No need to fly off the rails about us disagreeing lol. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Have to stop looking at one game as any indication. One game doesn’t define a team. I fully expect this to be our toughest test all season. I do agree with an earlier assessment that Aledo’s offense runs through one player, their QB; but he’s a huge threat. If the pass isn’t there, he can beat you with his legs. 
We will need to be prepared to play a full 4 quarters. Thankfully, Timberview gave us a test if that last week. I also believe we cannot afford to start slow in this one, or back ourselves up with penalties. As I’ve said all season, the only team I see beating Longview in his year is Longview. 
 

The winner of this game will be the 5A D1 State Champ. 

Timberview did. PA Memorial did too. Both had QBs who could run well. Hopefully we can contain the Aledo QB the way we did theirs. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I mean I disagreed with you. I didn’t try to shut you up or insult you at all. No need to fly off the rails about us disagreeing lol. 

Man, you came at me talking about I was riled up and making up hypotheticals. This is “cap” at it’s finest. Like I said the ONLY complaint I have with John King to sum it up is his UNWILLINGNESS to come out of his conservatism and be aggressive when NEED be. Us being at their red zone towards the end of the Timberview game and deliberately running time out was NOT some fabricated story I made up. That sh @& actually happened just like I and everyone else seen it. Hell, I want the man to be BETTER than what he is.

He has the opportunity to be mentioned amongst the elite in Texas High School football BUT!!!!!! Keep it 💯 with yourself, he does some of the most boneheaded things at the most inopportune times. He reverts back to doing the little things that puts him and the team in positions that they don’t have to be in is all I have ever said. He won’t get out of his own way a lot of times and that’s just the honest-to-God truth.  
 

I understand why he was trying to run the clock out obviously but, the way we were moving the ball on them on the ground, we should have just put the nail in the proverbial coffin and then we damn sure ain’t got to worry about them staging some miraculous comeback. The team was way too dangerous to be playing around with. He needs to destroy a team’s WILL to win or want to even try with the horsepower we have this year. John Outlaw, would have had Timberview down SEVERAL scores and they’d be fighting amongst each other rather than taking cheap shots at our boys after every conceivable play.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Have to stop looking at one game as any indication.

Wasn't saying that at all. But this idea that Aledo doesn't make mistakes, that they don't commit penalties or turnovers...I mean come on lol.

Are they well coached? Of course. But they're not the Lake Travis team that we saw in 2008, or even the Denton Ryan team in 2020 that we saw.

Talented yes, on a completely different planet from any other team we've faced this season, no.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mojo1000 said:

I agree to an extent. Longview proves it with consistent success. Only a few championships lack them from being a premier juggernaut. Always a contender so that says a lot.

Think about this for a minute.

 

Texas from 2000-2010.  Far talented team 99% of games, very few championships.

LSU les miles tenure.  Far talented team 99% of games, very few championships.  
 

Both coaches had consistent success.  But contendors are usually separated from champions by coaching difference.  Les Miles and Mack Brown were good coaches and had teams contend every year.  They typically lost to better coaches.  Do you disagree?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Quick said:

Man, you came at me talking about I was riled up and making up hypotheticals. This is “cap” at it’s finest. Like I said the ONLY complaint I have with John King to sum it up is his UNWILLINGNESS to come out of his conservatism and be aggressive when NEED be. Us being at their red zone towards the end of the Timberview game and deliberately running time out was NOT some fabricated story I made up. That sh @& actually happened just like I and everyone else seen it. Hell, I want the man to be BETTER than what he is.

Right. I know that it happened that King "ran the clock out" as opposed to kicking a FG. I agree with you that going up 3 possessions would've been better.  The "hypothetical" I was talking about was Timberview scoring and getting 2 to put themselves in a position to get an onsides kick. It takes several things that had little happening for them to have been in that situation that you're acting like happened. That didn't happen. 

It DID happen against Tascosa in 2018. We let them score, gave up an onsides kick, gave up a trick play TD, and they were within 1 possession with a minute left. THAT is a situation where King got WAY too conservative (and he admitted it) and it almost came back to bite us. We were never in danger in the game against Timberview after we turned it over on downs. 

38 minutes ago, Quick said:

He has the opportunity to be mentioned amongst the elite in Texas High School football BUT!!!!!! Keep it 💯 with yourself, he does some of the most boneheaded things at the most inopportune times. He reverts back to doing the little things that puts him and the team in positions that they don’t have to be in is all I have ever said. He won’t get out of his own way a lot of times and that’s just the honest-to-God truth.  
 

I understand why he was trying to run the clock out obviously but, the way we were moving the ball on them on the ground, we should have just put the nail in the proverbial coffin and then we damn sure ain’t got to worry about them staging some miraculous comeback. The team was way too dangerous to be playing around with. He needs to destroy a team’s WILL to win or want to even try with the horsepower we have this year. John Outlaw, would have had Timberview down SEVERAL scores and they’d be fighting amongst each other rather than taking cheap shots at our boys after every conceivable play.

Like I said, I don't disagree with you. King could've handled the last sequence better. When we turned it over on downs, I was a little uneasy at them having the ball only down 16. But I then remembered how our defense had played in the second half and had faith. King put trust in his defense which is an elite unit. They did what they needed to- kept everyone in front of them and not give Timberview time to score. So my point is this: he handled that situation incorrectly in my eyes. But it wasn't all that serious at the time- it would've taken a miracle for Timberview to come back. 

I agree- King is far from perfect and he can always improve. We all can. But I'm willing to trust him to do his job even if I agree with a few things. Like that screen play on 3rd and 2? I hated it. I even said before the play, "PLEASE don't throw the ball here- we're running at them with success". But for every "boneheaded mistake" as you put it, he's made many other good calls that have put our program in position to be an elite team from a small town. 

For all you talk about John Outlaw, he has as many state championships as King has. He also had several early exits when he "had more talent than his opponents". Dez Bryant's team lost in the 2nd round to Round Rock lol. And the next year a first round exit against Klein Forest. 

Edited by JohnnyFootball
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...