5A Division I State Semi-Finals: Longview vs Aledo

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (14-0) vs Aledo Bearcats (12-2)  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Aledo in a close one
    • Aledo in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/10/2022 at 08:00 PM

14 minutes ago, AledoAlumni said:

Brand new QB that played WR last year...  

He's dangerous. More than anyone else on your roster, keeping him in check is my concern. Even if our coverage is airtight, he's quick and wiggly enough to make guys miss. We've lost contain on highly mobile QBs a few times this season, and this kid can make us pay. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AledoAlumni said:

Brand new QB that played WR last year. Starting RB played LB last year. Young WR core. Had a decent number of new kids starting on defense. And PE was just as big and talented as Aledo. After all they did just win state. 

Yea, QB was a WR the year before, but he transferred from All Saints Episcopal where he was a QB plus numerous camps.

20 minutes ago, AledoAlumni said:

Brand new QB that played WR last year. Starting RB played LB last year. Young WR core. Had a decent number of new kids starting on defense. And PE was just as big and talented as Aledo. After all they did just win state. 

I figured it was all of the above. And yeah, PE romped everyone on their way to state, including Prestonwood twice and China Spring. They somehow lost to SOC (who is still playing). It'll definitely be a different Aledo team playing this week than started the first 2 weeks of the season. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I figured it was all of the above. And yeah, PE romped everyone on their way to state, including Prestonwood twice and China Spring. They somehow lost to SOC (who is still playing). It'll definitely be a different Aledo team playing this week than started the first 2 weeks of the season. 

PE beat Aledo, 5AD1 state semi finalist, lost by 3 to SOC who will win 5AD2 and beat China Spring who will win 4AD1. Very solid private school team who just won state in largest classification and I believe it is 4 in a row for them.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

PE beat Aledo, 5AD1 state semi finalist, lost by 3 to SOC who will win 5AD2 and beat China Spring who will win 4AD1. Very solid private school team who just won state in largest classification and I believe it is 4 in a row for them.

If LV and Guyer win that would mean all 3 of Aledo's losses are to state finalist/champions.

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

26 minutes ago, AledoAlumni said:

If LV and Guyer win that would mean all 3 of Aledo's losses are to state finalist/champions.

A worthy honor, and certainly a moral victory they can build on for next season. I only hope Longview can help them achieve this feat.  ;)

• Like 3
  • LOL! 2

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

He's dangerous. More than anyone else on your roster, keeping him in check is my concern. Even if our coverage is airtight, he's quick and wiggly enough to make guys miss. We've lost contain on highly mobile QBs a few times this season, and this kid can make us pay. 

Reminds me a lot of the QB we faced for LT in 2009.  Kid was a field general and irritating at keeping their drives alive.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AledoAlumni said:

Crazy. When I played for Longview in 2004, I remember we beat Marshall (4A finalist), Evangel (state winner in Louisiana), Monroe Neville (State Semifinalst in Louisiana), and Tyler Lee (D-1 State Champs)... 

• Like 4

In the words of Michael Irving on First Take, "Pressuring a QB changes the outcome of game." IMO Aledo's bread and butter is their QB. Nothing is really mentioned about any other talented position, although they have a few weapons. If Longview shut's him down, I promise you, the dynamics of this game will change QUICKLY, and I promise you, Longview's defense is more than capable of doing just that 'applying pressure...' I don't see this game being as close as some speculate---I see Longview pulling away in the 3rd quarter. I don't think Aledo has the stamina to keep up with Longview ALL 4qtrs... Longview by 21     

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, KINGLOBO said:

In the words of Michael Irving on First Take, "Pressuring a QB changes the outcome of game." IMO Aledo's bread and butter is their QB. Nothing is really mentioned about any other talented position, although they have a few weapons. If Longview shut's him down, I promise you, the dynamics of this game will change QUICKLY, and I promise you, Longview's defense is more than capable of doing just that 'applying pressure...' I don't see this game being as close as some speculate---I see Longview pulling away in the 3rd quarter. I don't think Aledo has the stamina to keep up with Longview ALL 4qtrs... Longview by 21     

Completely agree that the key for us winning is slowing down their QB but don’t think he can be shut down.  Also, Aledo not having the stamina is nonsense.  That is one of the program defining characteristics for them.  This will be a team that will keep stride with us all game when it comes to stamina/endurance.  Longview wins but more in the 7-10 pt range…but no turnovers, limit penalties, and come out on fire

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, KINGLOBO said:

One thing I can promise is this team wont quit. They have battled adversity several times this season and will be ready for whatever Saturday brings. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

Completely agree that the key for us winning is slowing down their QB but don’t think he can be shut down.  Also, Aledo not having the stamina is nonsense.  That is one of the program defining characteristics for them.  This will be a team that will keep stride with us all game when it comes to stamina/endurance.  Longview wins but more in the 7-10 pt range…but no turnovers, limit penalties, and come out on fire

Yeah, previous opponents gave up after they got down and Longview started dominating. PAM completely quit by the 3rd quarter. Timberview ran out of gas and THEN gave up. 

Aledo will do neither. They haven't become one of the strongest programs in Texas by giving up when down.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Crazy. When I played for Longview in 2004, I remember we beat Marshall (4A finalist), Evangel (state winner in Louisiana), Monroe Neville (State Semifinalst in Louisiana), and Tyler Lee (D-1 State Champs)... 

in 1998 Marshall beat 3 #1s and missed the playoffs.  (Killeen Ellison, Longview, and I think a Louisiana school)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

...Aledo not having the stamina is nonsense.  That is one of the program defining characteristics for them.  This will be a team that will keep stride with us all game when it comes to stamina/endurance...

Co-sign on this. We may very well run Aledo off the field (I doubt it), but it won't be because we outlasted or out-disciplined them. Leave those expectations at the door. We might out-talent or out-speed them. But we won't out-condition them. 

Alternatively: if we lose, it will be because we  lost focus and composure.

The only team stopping Longview, is Longview. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

in 1998 Marshall beat 3 #1s and missed the playoffs.  (Killeen Ellison, Longview, and I think a Louisiana school)

Longview beat Duncanville 36-15 without Fred Talley that year and missed the playoffs. Duncanville went on to win State. 

Marshall beat Ouachita when they were either #1 or #2 in LA. 

• Like 2