Carthage 42 Glen Rose 35 Final

bansheefan03

Carthage vs. Glen Rose   

67 members have voted

1. 1. Semifinal

This poll is closed to new votes

14 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I simply don’t know enough about GR’s opponents to form an honest opinion on them. I just know I watched them blowout Monahans (who was terrible) and came away feeling like the things I was watching them rely on for success are things that the bulldogs typically defend very well. I know the QB can throw it downfield but they also did a lot of work in the flats and Carthage defends that very well. I believe Carthage will shut down the GR run game and make them one dimensional. 

Their SOS consists of Grandview, Brownwood, & Hirschi.  That’s not all their fault as their district & region are weak.  They did what they were supposed to do.  If they play Brownwood healthy, Glen Rose wins.

11 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I simply don’t know enough about GR’s opponents to form an honest opinion on them. I just know I watched them blowout Monahans (who was terrible) and came away feeling like the things I was watching them rely on for success are things that the bulldogs typically defend very well. I know the QB can throw it downfield but they also did a lot of work in the flats and Carthage defends that very well. I believe Carthage will shut down the GR run game and make them one dimensional. 

A good portion of G R’s planned running plays rely on(or at least partially) the defensive front to overreact - opening up running lanes without having to even block some defenders………I am pretty darn sure Coach P and crew have study enough film to see their tendencies……..If the defensive front listen to the coaches, look for a few longish runs from G R but also look for a lot of no gain or lost yardage plays. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

A good portion of G R’s planned running plays rely on(or at least partially) the defensive front to overreact - opening up running lanes without having to even block some defenders………I am pretty darn sure Coach P and crew have study enough film to see their tendencies……..If the defensive front listen to the coaches, look for a few longish runs from G R but also look for a lot of no gain or lost yardage plays. 

100% agree.  Hit/tackle #13 on every one of those read plays and make him hand it off to the RB.  Carthage has shown great discipline in this area the last two weeks.  No reason to think this week will be any different.

30 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

I think when you believe your teammates will follow their assignments, you don't have to worry about doing too much and just do your assignment.  I think this defense has faith in every man.  makes it easier to read your keys and do what you are supposed to do and not try to do too much.

29 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

GR defense looked small on the line and linebackers, I may be wrong, but I see the Dawg O line controlling the line of scrimmage and running the ball very effectively.

Correct.  A little undersized up front, but more active than PG.  They try to compensate by bringing pressure from the LB’s and safeties.  Carthage should be able to run the ball effectively.

Edited by PantherNation2015

3 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

I would be totally happy with that, as I know this GR team does have some talent and they are going to want it as much or more than any other team Carthage has faced this year! 

Glen Rose has some dudes.  Their QB is always good with a big arm.  Tough WRs.  Good football IQ.  Where they falter is in competition.  Sorry, playing out here in DFW does not prepare you like playing in ETX does.  It's just a different ballgame.  

I miss ETX football.  I don't miss ETX pay.  I make $30,000 more than the head athletic trainer at Marshall right now.  You can say "cost of living" but seriously...  Anyway, we have dudes out here, just not dudes at every school like you see in East Texas.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

I actually think Glen Rose will have some early success with their up tempo offense vs this Carthage D.  They are bound to hit a home run over the top as well.   I see this being a 7-10 point game at the half.  Carthage will make their normal adjustments and pull away in the second half.  The Carthage D will get a couple timely turnovers as Glen Rose is forced to throw more than they want to close the gap.  I’ll go with a 45-24 final and Carthage takes another step closer to #9.

Does this assume Hatten and Bell play or watch?

4 minutes ago, bansheefan03 said:

Bell will play hatten could be game time

Honestly, unless in-game it’s looking like we just gotta have it, I’d almost rather them rest Hatten. It seems like every game this year his ankle has been re-aggravated.  

Edited by mikehoncho
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Bell on defense more helpful than offense………If G R goes up tempo, and being a  spread team, a fresh body in the front 7 for Carthage will be nice. 

Agreed 100%. As crazy as it is to say. Lol. Hatten does draw attention but Paddie,  Manning and Roquemore also usually make the plays we need to make in the passing game. Not to mention the backs are good receivers out of the backfield as well. 

Bell is probably missed more 

1 minute ago, mikehoncho said:

Agreed 100%. As crazy as it is to say. Lol. Hatten does draw attention but Paddie,  Manning and Roquemore also usually make the plays we need to make in the passing game. Not to mention the backs are good receivers out of the backfield as well. 

Just so others don’t bring the heat to my above comment - I meant Bell on defense is more important than Bell on offense in this game.    
But as you say, their are several weapons on offense. 

19 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

You have to think. They make those plays bc 90% of teams have “bracketed” Hatten. So to say Bell is missed more IMO is a huge stretch. Hatten just being on the field opens the offense up more!

14 minutes ago, Cleareyesopenheartcantlose said:

You have to think. They make those plays bc 90% of teams have “bracketed” Hatten. So to say Bell is missed more IMO is a huge stretch. Hatten just being on the field opens the offense up more!

No doubt teams have to gameplan for Hatten, but I can say the same about Manning with his size and Paddie with his speed.  I just have not noticed it being a problem this year anytime that Hatten was out.  So that's what I'm going off of.  But tomorrow we will see if it has much of an effect or not.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BevBrownJr said:

Does this assume Hatten and Bell play or watch?

As Cotton mentioned, having a 90% or better Bell will be very beneficial in slowing down GR’s offense when they go uptempo.  It’s all about fresh legs and good reads.  For this particular matchup, Hatten is less valuable IMO as Carthage will be able to run the ball like they did vs PG.  Having one less WR won’t impact the game plan as much.  Basically, I’m saying Carthage can win without Hatten.  I’d much rather have a healthy Hatten next week in the big game if it were my choice.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Their SOS consists of Grandview, Brownwood, & Hirschi.  That’s not all their fault as their district & region are weak.  They did what they were supposed to do.  If they play Brownwood healthy, Glen Rose wins.

Carthage district was weak as well. 

• Crawford changed the title to Carthage 42 Glen Rose 35 Final