Smoaky Bowl Challenge

RETIREDFAN1

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

They have 43 bowl games and can't have a playoff.  How did Rice make it to a bowl game with a 5-7 record ???  

What Retired said.....:rofl:

But yes, you could use the bowls games to host playoff games and have 32 teams, then cut some of the dead weight games. Like the Bahamas Bowl and the Frisco Bowl.....and a bunch more I can't even remember. 

Edited by DannyZuco
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

But yes, you could use the bowls games to host playoff games and have 32 teams, then cut some of the dead weight games. Like the Bahamas Bowl and the Frisco Bowl.....and a bunch more I can't even remember. 

Frankly, I don't mind if mediocre bowls were to continue after a true playoff was created. Let it be a consolation prize for the teams who don't make it. Kinda like the loser's bracket in fantasy football. 

But yes, using most of the current bowls as the playoffs would generate more money in the long run. I can't believe the powers-that-be can't see that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Frankly, I don't mind if mediocre bowls were to continue after a true playoff was created. Let it be a consolation prize for the teams who don't make it. Kinda like the loser's bracket in fantasy football. 

But yes, using most of the current bowls as the playoffs would generate more money in the long run. I can't believe the powers-that-be can't see that. 

I would bet that the NCAA powers have thought about it, but the Bowl Committees in each town have to big a cut of the pie and would/do not want to give it up. The expenses for teams is too high, especially when a school has to purchase a certain number of tickets to go the bowl, whether or not they sell them all or not. But bringing in schools with a one and done scenario sure helps fill the seats, especially for fans.

18 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

I would bet that the NCAA powers have thought about it, but the Bowl Committees in each town have to big a cut of the pie and would/do not want to give it up. The expenses for teams is too high, especially when a school has to purchase a certain number of tickets to go the bowl, whether or not they sell them all or not. But bringing in schools with a one and done scenario sure helps fill the seats, especially for fans.

It's entirely possible that *I* am the one who just doesn't get it. But I'm hard pressed to imagine a scenario where the "Who Gives A Damn Bowl" makes more money hosting Slippery Rock (6-6) vs. East Popcorn State (7-5), rather than being one of the first-round games of the "Playoff Bowl" where you have #1 seed powerhouse against a #16 seed upstart. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Their contract with the Rose Bowl means more to the NCAA than the overall sport in general 

• SMH 1

2 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

I’d love to see the NCAA presidents grow a pair and mandate that bowls provide the funding for the travel and lodging accommodations for each team in addition to the payout for each team.  That would end some of the horrible bowl games like the one in Shreveport.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Their contract with the Rose Bowl means more to the NCAA than the overall sport in general 

Fine. Whatever. Make the Rose Bowl the natty game every year. I don't give a ####. But let's have a common-sense playoff, and use the dadgum bowls while we're at it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I’d love to see the NCAA presidents grow a pair and mandate that bowls provide the funding for the travel and lodging accommodations for each team in addition to the payout for each team.  That would end some of the horrible bowl games like the one in Shreveport.

There have been some pretty good Indepence Bowls in Shreveport ... I was there the year LSU played Notre Dame ... and the Army vs Auburn game .... Georgia, Ole Miss and other name schools have played there ... I always thought they had some pretty decent match ups ....

On 12/6/2022 at 5:49 PM, DannyZuco said:

Keep those around for the teams that didn't make the 32 team playoff.  They'd be more interesting than what we have now.  I'll say this much they wouldn't be 6-6 teams playing each other.  

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

There have been some pretty good Indepence Bowls in Shreveport ... I was there the year LSU played Notre Dame ... and the Army vs Auburn game .... Georgia, Ole Miss and other name schools have played there ... I always thought they had some pretty decent match ups ....

Yeah the stadium was in decent shape then and had a decent SEC deal.  There was also a time where it had the perfect SEC vs B12 game…. They let the stadium and bowl become an absolute embarrassment.  That stadium couldn’t accommodate Vanderbilt vs Kansas at this point