Uniform Rant

SpaceGhost

What part of uniform does teams not understand about uniforms? I've been noticing a lot of players varying the types and colors of socks and shoes on most teams in the playoffs. To me its sort of distracting to see all the different colors and uniform displays on each team. Some wear only one sock. I assume that it's about bringing attention to the player? My football coaches in the late 70's would never have allowed those distractions on the field. I know the UIL talked tough about penalizing teams on their uniforms a few years ago, even to the point that the pant were not to be above the knee. I watched a playoff game the other day and I honestly thought a player was wearing shorts when he came out on the field. The pants didn't reach mid thigh. 

Enough ranting by an old codger. Does it bother anyone else?

• Like 3
  • Grumpy 2

1 minute ago, SpaceGhost said:

What part of uniform does teams not understand about uniforms? I've been noticing a lot of players varying the types and colors of socks and shoes on most teams in the playoffs. To me its sort of distracting to see all the different colors and uniform displays on each team. Some wear only one sock. I assume that it's about bringing attention to the player? My football coaches in the late 70's would never have allowed those distractions on the field. I know the UIL talked tough about penalizing teams on their uniforms a few years ago, even to the point that the pant were not to be above the knee. I watched a playoff game the other day and I honestly thought a player was wearing shorts when he came out on the field. The pants didn't reach mid thigh. 

Enough ranting by an old codger. Does it bother anyone else?

This is the hard truth for you old heads.

The way someone wears their uniform has no bearing on the outcome and performance of the team. This old school mentality needs to go bye bye.

My coach was a hard TobinFrost about it also (old head) and I love the uniform of a team like I love when Celina wears their orange helmet, jersey, pants, and socks but again it has no bearing on the performance of a team and player and if a coach or team or player allows a uniform change or having all these colors distract them from the game and their assignments then they aren't very good.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

A lot of the kids buy their own cleats. You have a hard enough time finding them, but everyone finding ones that fit in the same color is impossible. I like things to look pretty similar, but there's gonna be different equipment at each position. Skill players feel like they have better movement without stiff knee pads in their way. I'd rather my kids play well than look alike.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

A lot of the kids buy their own cleats. You have a hard enough time finding them, but everyone finding ones that fit in the same color is impossible. I like things to look pretty similar, but there's gonna be different equipment at each position. Skill players feel like they have better movement without stiff knee pads in their way. I'd rather my kids play well than look alike.

Skill players even wear knee pads anymore? 

UIL rule are clear regarding numbers. Read them...they make since. Numbers on jerseys should be easily identifiable. The rule was established two seasons ago. Many schools have uniforms that do not meet the standards.  The poster 2wedge is correct.

1 minute ago, THTFUIL said:

UIL rule are clear regarding numbers. Read them...they make since. Numbers on jerseys should be easily identifiable. The rule was established two seasons ago. Many schools have uniforms that do not meet the standards.  The poster 2wedge is correct.

Why defines “easily identifiable”?

Officials on field can see them? Fans?

3 hours ago, Allheartnoquit said:

The way someone wears their uniform has no bearing on the outcome and performance of the team. This old school mentality needs to go bye bye.

My coach was a hard TobinFrost about it also (old head) and I love the uniform of a team like I love when Celina wears their orange helmet, jersey, pants, and socks but again it has no bearing on the performance of a team and player and if a coach or team or player allows a uniform change or having all these colors distract them from the game and their assignments then they aren't very good.

Respectfully disagree about the uniforms. Look good, feel good, play good. Yes , old school . To me the uniform dissimilarities are part of the me generation and needs to be “ nipit in the bud”. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, GraysonFan said:

I think the rise in popularity of the gray or dark gray jerseys with blue or black numbers needs to go away.  There is no way fans can even see the numbers from the stands on some of these jerseys now.

I dispise the gray mess. Rather them wear pink than gray.

6 hours ago, Allheartnoquit said:

Probably has minimal bearing on outcomes and performance, but uniformity and conformity meshes in with discipline and team to some degree.  The more of the former, the more you get of the latter.  Wanting to stand out from team mates and be noticed as an individual seems to go against what made football what it has been.  It's all a part of where we're headed as a whole.... i.e. kids talking back to the refs, flexing on each other, chest pounding just because they made a routine tackle.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HJR7 said:

I graduated in 2006. I absolutely remember my coach telling us, he didn't care what we wore or how we wore it. But we better win. That was the one and only talk we had. 

Man I graduated in 07 I wish I had your coach mine was old school like these old heads crying about uniforms

14 hours ago, 2wedge said:

Take note of the teams still playing, and then again of the ones in Arlington next week. You'll notice something, the vast majority will look exactly alike. It's a discipline issue, and yes, it's a small thing, but small things make the difference between teams sitting at home and those still playing this time of year. 

No bearing on how they got there my friend.