Uniform Rant

SpaceGhost

1 hour ago, Gobstopper77 said:

Trust me when I say this.. You will be an old head soon enough and you'll understand us 100% when you are one. 

No when I am a old head I still wont care about the uniforms bc I know it really doesnt make your team better or worse an if it does your team sucks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SpaceGhost said:

What part of uniform does teams not understand about uniforms? I've been noticing a lot of players varying the types and colors of socks and shoes on most teams in the playoffs. To me its sort of distracting to see all the different colors and uniform displays on each team. Some wear only one sock. I assume that it's about bringing attention to the player? My football coaches in the late 70's would never have allowed those distractions on the field. I know the UIL talked tough about penalizing teams on their uniforms a few years ago, even to the point that the pant were not to be above the knee. I watched a playoff game the other day and I honestly thought a player was wearing shorts when he came out on the field. The pants didn't reach mid thigh. 

Enough ranting by an old codger. Does it bother anyone else?

It is the worst I've ever seen. Kids wearing highlighters on their feet. Coaches are allowing it to seem supportive and cool to kids, while saying they have bigger things than shoes to worry about to adults. I don't see it as much in football or baseball. See it a lot in shoe choices with soccer and basketball. It's bigger than most think. Just another movement towards ME FIRST CULTURE

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Allheartnoquit said:

No when I am a old head I still wont care about the uniforms bc I know it really doesnt make your team better or worse an if it does your team sucks.

Yes, it won't be specifically about uniforms, it will be about something else that will get you called an old head. Promise. 🙂

2 hours ago, BlackBeard said:

Colleges are consistent with their uniforms.  NFL certainly is.  Why aren’t high schools?

Again, you're gonna have kids pay for their own cleats, you can't tell them they can only have one type when you can't garauntee they are there.  Also, there are a lot more options out there today for equipment.  There are more manufacturers than there were 40 years ago.  You gonna tell one kid he can't wear a sweatband on his arm because his teammate isn't or make the other guy wear one who doesnt want to?

Put neck rolls on the whole team?  Make linemen wear long sleeves because someone told them it was cold?

What exactly is the point of contention here?  They wear the same helmet, jersey, pants, and socks.  That's the uniform.  If you are going to provide everything else, then you can make that uniform also.

27 minutes ago, Gobstopper77 said:

Society today is like it is because of the "it doesn't matter", "battles worth fighting" philosophy. It's gotten to the point that nothing matters. #oldheadthoughts

Thats not an issue worth discussing in a high school sports forum, so I'll stick to the topic at hand and I'll be looking for the teams next week that win at state that are all uniform and which teams aren't...will have to report back with the results

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, MattStepp said:

Thats not an issue worth discussing in a high school sports forum, so I'll stick to the topic at hand and I'll be looking for the teams next week that win at state that are all uniform and which teams aren't...will have to report back with the results

Also, when they run on the field, make sure they are in ranks and do the same pregame hype routine.  I hope they listen to the same playlist pregame when they are getting ready.  In the Navy, we had to lace our boots the same, better get someone to check if they are left over right.  Tell them to keep their helmets on too.  We don't want to see who has a center part and who decided to bleach their hair for a playoff run.  High and tights all around!!!!  I think they should all wear the same number that way we don't know who is who and they can just be a team.

• LOL! 2

1 hour ago, JBizzle said:

Also, when they run on the field, make sure they are in ranks and do the same pregame hype routine.  I hope they listen to the same playlist pregame when they are getting ready.  In the Navy, we had to lace our boots the same, better get someone to check if they are left over right.  Tell them to keep their helmets on too.  We don't want to see who has a center part and who decided to bleach their hair for a playoff run.  High and tights all around!!!!  I think they should all wear the same number that way we don't know who is who and they can just be a team.

I'm glad you brought the US Navy up for this topic. I couldn't think of a more successful program in the 20th century that truly believed in uniformity. While they may seem to go overboard on certain rules, they understand that once rules are loosened, control is lost.

BTW. Thank you for your service!

Edited by SpaceGhost

37 minutes ago, SpaceGhost said:

I'm glad you brought the US Navy up for this topic. I couldn't think of a more successful program in the 20th century that truly believed in uniformity. While they may seem to go overboard on certain rules, they understand that once rules are loosened, control is lost.

Ask a Seal about uniform rules...

25 minutes ago, Destry said:

True that for sure!!!! No team—-just look at me.

That's a bunch of judgement from people who don't know the kids.  That may be true for some kids, but talk to coaches.  I know some of the most outspoken and visible kids at Carthage over the last few years were also the kids that would run through a brick wall for their team.  I pay more attention to play on the field and their interactions with teammates to determine what kind of player they are than whether or not they have bright colored shoes on.

3 hours ago, MattStepp said:

ok 😏

3 hours ago, JBizzle said:

That's a bunch of judgement from people who don't know the kids.  That may be true for some kids, but talk to coaches.  I know some of the most outspoken and visible kids at Carthage over the last few years were also the kids that would run through a brick wall for their team.  I pay more attention to play on the field and their interactions with teammates to determine what kind of player they are than whether or not they have bright colored shoes on.

I guess it really comes down to whether the coach allows it or not. If he does then it is what it is. Everyone to their own opinion, contrary to what some people believe.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:45 PM, 2wedge said:

Take note of the teams still playing, and then again of the ones in Arlington next week. You'll notice something, the vast majority will look exactly alike. It's a discipline issue, and yes, it's a small thing, but small things make the difference between teams sitting at home and those still playing this time of year. 

This is actually inherently false. I’ve watched pretty much every team remaining in the playoffs. The only teams that come close to every one matching what they wear in North Shore and Katy. Katy kids will all be in white socks and black shoes for the most part.  North Shore is very similar as well. Look at Westlake, SOC, Argyle, Shiner, Hawley, PNG, etc all these kids wear something different when it comes to equipment. Times have changed, not everyone is fitting a square peg into a round hole. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tomlandry said:

It is the worst I've ever seen. Kids wearing highlighters on their feet. Coaches are allowing it to seem supportive and cool to kids, while saying they have bigger things than shoes to worry about to adults. I don't see it as much in football or baseball. See it a lot in shoe choices with soccer and basketball. It's bigger than most think. Just another movement towards ME FIRST CULTURE

So right!