Uniform Rant

SpaceGhost

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 3:11 PM, SpaceGhost said:

What part of uniform does teams not understand about uniforms? I've been noticing a lot of players varying the types and colors of socks and shoes on most teams in the playoffs. To me its sort of distracting to see all the different colors and uniform displays on each team. Some wear only one sock. I assume that it's about bringing attention to the player? My football coaches in the late 70's would never have allowed those distractions on the field. I know the UIL talked tough about penalizing teams on their uniforms a few years ago, even to the point that the pant were not to be above the knee. I watched a playoff game the other day and I honestly thought a player was wearing shorts when he came out on the field. The pants didn't reach mid thigh. 

Enough ranting by an old codger. Does it bother anyone else?

I actually like some variation but it should still be school colors. Aledo for example, kids wear orange, black, and white cleats. Some have long socks, some short, some 50/50. Kids have different gloves, wrist bands or tape. Honestly doesnt matter to me. Where I think it gets ridiculous is when a kid has cleats or gloves that clearly dont match our school colors. 

0F2A7188.jpg?fit=3000,2000&ssl=1

0F2A5684.jpg?fit=3000,2000&ssl=1

0F2A6030.jpg?fit=3000,2000&ssl=1

Edited by AledoAlumni
  • Like 1

When I playdt b-teem tennis at New Caney I wore a headband. As seventh seed in district I just didn't care what anybody thought. The season eventually came to an end and the old coach says Doomy I'd like to see ya come tryout for varsity next year are you a sophomore or freshman? I say no sir coach T I'm a second year senior.

Edited by Doomer
  • LOL! 1

1 hour ago, AledoAlumni said:

In the playoffs some teams put the players names on the back of the jerseys. Do you not like that either?

As long as it is school colors and every kid has his name on it I am ok with the team looking the same. In the playoffs I could handle everyone wearing the same color wristband or even a black something on the uniform as long as the team looks the same. Yes there is no “I” in team. You must be younger than 50.😁

Y’all remember when Willis McGahee for the Miami Hurricanes had that visor that looked so cool.

No one else in the country wore one at the time and it was AWESOME!

Ricky Williams and Adrian Peterson had worn visors as well, but they were usually just dark tinted, also looked really cool.

I don’t think people whined about visors at the time taking away from the team concept. 
I am 41 and all about the team concept, while also allowing a degree of flexibility for the players to also express a small bit of individual flair.

860E7944-4581-41FC-B094-081634E50C05.jpeg

On 12/6/2022 at 3:45 PM, 2wedge said:

Take note of the teams still playing, and then again of the ones in Arlington next week. You'll notice something, the vast majority will look exactly alike. It's a discipline issue, and yes, it's a small thing, but small things make the difference between teams sitting at home and those still playing this time of year. 

THANK YOU.

It is a discipline issue, which is to say it is a mentality and attitude issue. It is a team sport. And the teams that are usually noticeably successful embrace that mentality.